Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DSC Sport Plug and Play PASM upgrade

MaxA said:
boardingnath997 said:
I've had my unit fitted for 2 weeks now and wanted to give my review. There might be a group lynching against me here but I hope not :oops:

The unit definitely makes a difference. From the first speed bump I hit I could tell that there was more compliance. Not just on speed bumps but any surface imperfections which tend to be everywhere around London. Perhaps I expected a bit too much but I wouldn't describe it as a 'night and day' or like having new suspension as some others have. In terms of spirited driving, I can't say I noticed a massive difference. I never found the car wanting in this area anyway.

My summary would be that it makes a noticeable difference and it's handy been able to separate the sport and suspension buttons. The around town suspension compliance is better, but not significantly. I agree that the car should have been like this standard. Despite this I'm not sure of the cost/benefit aspect of this mod. If it was a £400-£500 mod I would say go for it. I'm just not sure it's worth the £1k.

Interesting. I've found all Porsche prices to be 'extraordinary', and this module is no different. I'm sure someone will be happy to take it off your hands, but, on the other hand, I think you might miss it.

I think the challenge that I had with the 997 is that with PASM set to soft, the car is too soft, and it can't quite keep up, so to say, if you suddenly need/want to put your foot down. And that front end bobble can be quite disconcerting on a long corner. On the other hand, with PASM in hard, while body control is really good, the ride is very hard.

I found, even on very smooth Dubai tarmac, it was too hard for the day-to-day, and especially all the bloody speedbumps (in the community, on the school run, in the car parks, at the office). So I was constantly juggling between two modes. It would have been better to have the PASM button on the steering wheel, not hidden behind the gear lever.

So, when I started investigating, I soon came across the TPC Racing solution. And then I bought it.

I'm very happy because I can now drive the very-not-smooth Finnish roads around here at some pace, and still retain good body control. I know British tarmac can be pretty awful, but we get these massive grooves on the highways (becausewinter), some big cracks and broken tarmac (alsobecausewinter), and there are plenty of gravel roads (I live at the end of one). Of course big potholes will always be a challenge, but I don't find myself toggling between modes any more. And I'm sure that PASM hard will work well when I get to the track days next summer.

Never going back. :grin:

I like the way you have explained that Max, I am with you on never going back it may be expensive but its now how the car should have left the factory if the software had been available back a few years. :thumb: I struggle to get my head round the mindset that will happily spend £50k plus on a 6/8 yr old sports car and then not spend 1K to give it a suspension upgrade :dont know: when we all know the PASM is either too soft or too hard with the stock set up. but then we are all different I guess with differing amounts of haemorrhoids and fillings :floor: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
MaxA said:
boardingnath997 said:
I've had my unit fitted for 2 weeks now and wanted to give my review. There might be a group lynching against me here but I hope not :oops:

The unit definitely makes a difference. From the first speed bump I hit I could tell that there was more compliance. Not just on speed bumps but any surface imperfections which tend to be everywhere around London. Perhaps I expected a bit too much but I wouldn't describe it as a 'night and day' or like having new suspension as some others have. In terms of spirited driving, I can't say I noticed a massive difference. I never found the car wanting in this area anyway.

My summary would be that it makes a noticeable difference and it's handy been able to separate the sport and suspension buttons. The around town suspension compliance is better, but not significantly. I agree that the car should have been like this standard. Despite this I'm not sure of the cost/benefit aspect of this mod. If it was a £400-£500 mod I would say go for it. I'm just not sure it's worth the £1k.

Interesting. I've found all Porsche prices to be 'extraordinary', and this module is no different. I'm sure someone will be happy to take it off your hands, but, on the other hand, I think you might miss it.

I think the challenge that I had with the 997 is that with PASM set to soft, the car is too soft, and it can't quite keep up, so to say, if you suddenly need/want to put your foot down. And that front end bobble can be quite disconcerting on a long corner. On the other hand, with PASM in hard, while body control is really good, the ride is very hard.

I found, even on very smooth Dubai tarmac, it was too hard for the day-to-day, and especially all the bloody speedbumps (in the community, on the school run, in the car parks, at the office). So I was constantly juggling between two modes. It would have been better to have the PASM button on the steering wheel, not hidden behind the gear lever.

So, when I started investigating, I soon came across the TPC Racing solution. And then I bought it.

I'm very happy because I can now drive the very-not-smooth Finnish roads around here at some pace, and still retain good body control. I know British tarmac can be pretty awful, but we get these massive grooves on the highways (becausewinter), some big cracks and broken tarmac (alsobecausewinter), and there are plenty of gravel roads (I live at the end of one). Of course big potholes will always be a challenge, but I don't find myself toggling between modes any more. And I'm sure that PASM hard will work well when I get to the track days next summer.

Never going back. :grin:

I like the way you have explained that Max, I am with you on never going back it may be expensive but its now how the car should have left the factory if the software had been available back a few years. :thumb: I struggle to get my head round the mindset that will happily spend £50k plus on a 6/8 yr old sports car and then not spend 1K to give it a suspension upgrade :dont know: when we all know the PASM is either too soft or too hard with the stock set up. but then we are all different I guess with differing amounts of haemorrhoids and fillings :floor: :thumb:

Not being able to opine on your anatomy, I would agree with you that in the wider context, a grand is sort of reasonable. A lot more reasonable than the à–hlins R&T coilovers I just put on my other car, which is worth about 10-12% of the 997 on a good day. And which replaced a perfectly serviceable set of Bilstein B14 coilovers. :wack:

[/quote] I like the way you have explained that Max, I am with you on never going back it may be expensive but its now how the car should have left the factory if the software had been available back a few years. :thumb: I struggle to get my head round the mindset that will happily spend £50k plus on a 6/8 yr old sports car and then not spend 1K to give it a suspension upgrade :dont know: when we all know the PASM is either too soft or too hard with the stock set up. but then we are all different I guess with differing amounts of haemorrhoids and fillings :floor: :thumb:[/quote]

I'm not moaning about the cost alone, I have no issue dropping money on my car. My opinion is that I expected a greater difference for the cost.

I really hope that this discussion is not seen as a group lynching, just a good debate.

I reckon the car does feel like it has new suspension, but we should acknowledge that adjustable dampers will always have to work with the fixed limits of the springs: perhaps this just highlights the limitation of the current spring rate which is always going to be what it is, this is not an air suspension set up.

Anyway, call me an old softy but I find the 997 to be super smooth nowadays, all swishiness and speediness, and far better than my other car on B14s which felt like being punched in the kidneys on a regular basis while being yelled at by some vixen.

I think it is worth pointing out about perceived benefits. Firstly the maximum benefit is when the current car that you fit the DSC module to has suspension in good condition and by suspension I include items such as engine mounts etc as well. Additionally having a good geometry and tyres again makes a difference.

It is also fair to say that the difference in sport mode will be noticed more by a race driver than a normal driver - that is not being in any way critical of any one persons driving - it is just a fact that we found when we did a controlled test with someone who races who could immediately see the benefits for example on back to back testing - night and day differences.

Everyone should be able to feel the normal mode benefits and everyone should be able to feel benefits in sport mode but the degree to which you feel will be dictated to by conditions of the car, conditions of where you are doing the test (road/track) and driver ability.

Hope that makes sense.

Ken

996ttalot said:
I think it is worth pointing out about perceived benefits. Firstly the maximum benefit is when the current car that you fit the DSC module to has suspension in good condition and by suspension I include items such as engine mounts etc as well. Additionally having a good geometry and tyres again makes a difference.

It is also fair to say that the difference in sport mode will be noticed more by a race driver than a normal driver - that is not being in any way critical of any one persons driving - it is just a fact that we found when we did a controlled test with someone who races who could immediately see the benefits for example on back to back testing - night and day differences.

Everyone should be able to feel the normal mode benefits and everyone should be able to feel benefits in sport mode but the degree to which you feel will be dictated to by conditions of the car, conditions of where you are doing the test (road/track) and driver ability.

Hope that makes sense.

Ken

Ken, Thats a great explanation and I for one hadn't considered the condition of things like engine mounts, geo etc as why different people felt differing benefits. its so noticeable to me I couldn't understand why one or two others couldn't feel the same as me. now I understand its possibly other components in each car which will be in differing conditions . :thumb:

Lots of good info on these and looking at getting one, but, being a Gen I owner I gather that for this unit to work correctly I need a DSC 3 axis accelerometer, my question is this, can I install an OEM accelerometer from a Gen II and have the same results?
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the DSC unit?
Thanks

Missed out on this deal but Ken at 9e honoured the group price for me so mine will be arriving in about a week.

Super excited :thumbs:

davidjf7 said:
Missed out on this deal but Ken at 9e honoured the group price for me so mine will be arriving in about a week.

You wont be disapointed David, I love the improvements to the PASM ride and now spend a lot of time in sport mode without loosing fillings :grin: its one of those mods that you think the car should have come from the factory like this and whether you like stock or modded cars its so worth doing :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
davidjf7 said:

You wont be disapointed David, I love the improvements to the PASM ride and now spend a lot of time in sport mode without loosing fillings :grin: its one of those mods that you think the car should have come from the factory like this and whether you like stock or modded cars its so worth doing :thumb:

Can't wait Phil - am hoping that it will improve my confidence when pressing on over bumpy b-roads.

Feel like I'm hanging on sometimes :grin:

I decided not to get one in the end, mainly because the car is SORNed until the end of march (first time ive not used it all year) but reading the reviews i want/need/must have one

What are the odds on getting group price when i put her back on the road?

I think this is a very worthwhile upgrade, to make the most of the hardware you already have fitted. TPC Racing should sell them with stickers for the back window, like à–hlins gives you a whole sheet... :thumb:

Fitted the DSC module to my 997.2 C2S at the weekend and to say I'm impressed is an understatement.

This is how the car should always have been.

The car feels so tight and tied down now, with a much more willing front end and gives me so much more confidence.

It really is night and day.

Left it in the firm setting this morning on my rough b-road commute and it really feels good.

Before, soft was too soft and hard too hard - it unsettled the car on normal British roads and even sometimes made my eyes go blurry :grin:

One thing that really showed up the difference was a road I always travel that has some pretty large ridges across it; (the kind that make you wince). In the firm setting this morning it absorbed them better than the standard soft setting!

Then, come the corners and it just feels amazing - can carry so much more speed than before.

In the firm setting it also retains that 997 feeling of being a sports car rather than a GT. But in the soft setting it's much more comfortable in a straight line and still feels sharp in the corners.

If anyone is still trying to make up their mind, I'd say just get it!

Ken at 9e was kind enough to honour the group buy price, so hopefully will for others!

:thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back