Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reliable V8 estate - what should I buy?

Dammit

My 850R needs more care than I really want to give it in order to maintain it in A1 condition these days, so something much younger that will only need servicing for three years, then chopping in for something else is what I'm after.

Suggestions please!

BMW, servicing depending on the way its driven, my last one flagged up service required after 22000miles

Audi RS6 - 4.0 twin turbo V8.

Not sure what age exactly you want as the previous version was a V10.

Who makes V8 estates? Was there an Audi S4 Avant with the 414bhp 4.2? If so, I'm not sure I'd regard it as a reliable general dogsbody car for daily tip runs and such. If I were you, I'd get a 2.5T Volvo V70. Cracking car, and since no one wants big thirtsy petrols, it should be easy to pick one up, no?

Dammit said:
My 850R needs more care than I really want to give it in order to maintain it in A1 condition these days, so something much younger that will only need servicing for three years, then chopping in for something else is what I'm after.

Suggestions please!
Budget would help sort this out

E39 540i MSport Touring or E61 550i MSport Touring.

Incredible cars for peanuts if you don't mind 10 years old.

RS Avants always a good bet, as are AMG Merc estates, but too shouty for me.

A very rare off the wall sleeper is the VW Passat W8 Estate. Basically an S4 in poor VW clothes.

If you're going newer there isn't much else about:
- Chrysler 300C Hemi Estate
- Jag XF Estate/Sportback/ShootingBrake or whatever they call it today

Gareth64 said:
Audi RS6 - 4.0 twin turbo V8.

Not sure what age exactly you want as the previous version was a V10.

And the one before that was a V8 as well - not sure it's one I'd buy if running costs were a concern though..

MaxA said:
Who makes V8 estates? Was there an Audi S4 Avant with the 414bhp 4.2? If so, I'm not sure I'd regard it as a reliable general dogsbody car for daily tip runs and such. If I were you, I'd get a 2.5T Volvo V70. Cracking car, and since no one wants big thirtsy petrols, it should be easy to pick one up, no?

That would be the B7 RS4, although the B6/B7 S4 was also V8 with 340bhp - the later B8 RS4 was a V8 as well (430ish bhp).

Prices for the B7 start at around £15k, but more for a good one, with B8's approx £30k upwards. As a dogsbody the S4 is possibly a better option.

B7 RS4's and the original RS6 share the same potential for failure of the DRC suspension, while the RS4 rarely made the quoted power due to carbon build up and the RS6 doesn't have the best reputation gearbox wise.

The RS4 I owned had a bad habit of producing £2k bills regularly..still miss the damn thing though..

Friend who is also a Porsche indie, has the Merc E class AMG estate, lovely car, cheap to buy, no trouble, carry high mileage really well. I'd take his advice if I was in that market.

MJA911 said:
Friend who is also a Porsche indie, has the Merc E class AMG estate, lovely car, cheap to buy, no trouble, carry high mileage really well. I'd take his advice if I was in that market.

As a recent convert to Merc I would agree.

X5 V8 also worth considering, if you are not averse to SUVs. They are car-like to drive but very versatile.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801313266769

Or a cheaper earlier one. We have the 3.0 petrol, its brilliant.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710090112862

It's a nailed on certainty that I'd get an E63 AMG estate, if not for the headbolt issues they suffer - a little like the Porsche IMS and bore-scoring I guess.

I've had a permanent search running for a 550i M Sport Touring, but surprisingly enough these are pretty rare cars.

The V8 era RS6 is a bit too long in the tooth now - I've considered an S6 Avant.

Ideally I want something a few years old, around 10ish grand that's not going to spit out a big bill before I move it on.

It has to be said, there is not a lot of choice... putting those parameters into Autotrader, there is basically the RS6, S6, S4, Merc C and E AMGs, BMW 545 and the Chrysler.

S4 is the newest car on there.

I run a 2002 Rs6 avant as a family hack great car and quicker than the 911 and given the performance it has its cheap to run you can pick them up from 6k for a dog 9k for a good one and 12 for perfect condition

I'd recommend a B7 RS4 avant, so far best usable daily fast car I've had. As already said they're not at prices for a car doing dump runs though. I bought one with ceramics a few months ago and paid over 20.

No way would I have any Porsche over it within the same price bracket. The fact i can get two dogs in it without ruining it is a huge bonus.

I think it may cost £2000/2500 a year on average to run but I don't do many miles.

850 fast estates, great cars!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back