Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Recommendation for Hartech alternatives

scottylamb

Hi gents,

Looking to have a 997.1 C2s engine rebuilt, and obviously I want to have it done right - one name comes to mind...

Have read nothing but praise for Hartech, their reputation is clearly well deserved. Contacted them recently, but they're so busy they couldn't even manage a PPI at short notice. Business must be booming.

I wondered if you could recommend any comparable alternatives in quality for full engine rebuilds to the same standard, same use of Nikasil liners etc?

I can't believe they're the only provider in the UK that can do it properly.

Any suggestions welcome, and your experiences with the reliability of the rebuilds you've had performed would be interesting to hear about too.

Bit of a minefield trying to pick who to use...

Autofarm are another respected company that may be worth chatting to.

Depends where you are based...

+1 for Autofarm, also Northway, RPM, 9e.

9e have a dedicated engine room. And offer an unbeatable warranty. Give Adam or Ken a call

Robertb said:
Depends where you are based...

+1 for Autofarm, also Northway, RPM, 9e.

Nowhere near anywhere that I'd take it to, to have the work done.

Close to the UK's most northern Porsche dealer...

So it doesn't really matter, a few hundred miles more or less will make no real difference.

Thanks for the suggestions Rob

scottylamb said:
I wondered if you could recommend any comparable alternatives in quality for full engine rebuilds to the same standard, same use of Nikasil liners etc?

Honest answer - there isn't anyone, not even
Porsche. They even copied the improvements Hartech do on the 997.2 DFI engine.

Quite a % of Hartech's work is rebuilding other engine rebuiler's rebuilds.

Edit: to avoid confusion, the above statement should read:

Hartech modify the 997.1 engine to improve engine cooling. Porsche copied these modifications and incorporated them into the 997.2 dfi engine design.

There is an old saying - if you want a good job done visit a busy man, which applies to Hartech.

Visited them in November last year and had a detailed tour, they totally re-engineer the engine rather than just rebuild them. Once you are in their system the time will pass sooner than you think. They are great engineers who run a very efficient business, without the need for any bling.

alex yates said:
scottylamb said:

Improvements in technology and the ever evolving engine development cycle by Porsche, have allowed the aftermarket industry to bring in improvements back to the 997.1 M96 engines.

Hartech have done a fantastic job in leading this effort bringing the technology into the market to bring confidence back to the 997.1 market, which is why we on 911uk are supporters of their work.

You know you've done it right when Porsche copy your ideas. Bet not many out there can claim that.

alex yates said:
scottylamb said:

Very interesting. I knew there were issues with the M96/97 engine in the gen 1 cars but thought the gen 2 DFI engines were pretty robust from the factory.

What improvements are Hartech offering for the 997.2 DFI Engine?

Steve997 said:
What improvements are Hartech offering for the 997.2 DFI Engine?

Sorry I've worded that a bit misleading.

What I meant was Porsche have copied the modified improvements Hartech do on the 997.1 engine and rolled them out on the 997.2 dfi engine.

.........but don't be misunderstood the dfi engine is bombproof. Hartech have seen a few failures now all for the same fault.

Edit: I've edited my original comment and added a note explaining what I meant to say.

Do the timescales of when Porsche developed the DFI and released it 2008 stack up for them to have copied Hartech's ideas? I'd always thought that the improvements in the DFI engine helped inspired Hartech and others to research and bring significant improvements to market for the older engine?

Ask Hartech. I'm not at liberty to discuss the actual copied engine development. Don't forget, the development work done by Hartech was on the m96 3.6 released back in 2000.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back