Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

After fit tracker .. opps .

deMort

The post here got me thinking about something similar i did years ago when i first started on Porsche .

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=125717

A company when fitting a tracker unit managed to drill through the main wireing harness .. i had to replace it .

Fond memorys of this job .. 44 hours to replace the harness and not a single mechanic came near me the whole time .. afraid i was going to ask for help i guess :floor:

Attachments

• tracker3_212.jpg
    tracker3_212.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,855
  • tracker1_345.jpg
    tracker1_345.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,855
  • tracker2_206.jpg
    tracker2_206.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,855
That is a very big 'oops"

I am sure there must be a reasonable electrickery answer, but why did the whole loom have to be replaced?

Because it was Insurance based I assume. You break it you get new one and they cough up for whole new one, if they paid only for a repair and the wiring burnt up and killed someone they are liable way more than the cost of 44hrs labour even at Porsche rates.

I need some more trackers for my cars so I have just ordered a bunch. At least my instructions should be clear enough to avoid any damage!

MC

MisterCorn said:
I need some more trackers for my cars so I have just ordered a bunch. At least my instructions should be clear enough to avoid any damage!

MC

I have one of yours here Martin that I never fitted,if you want that back?

Jay-sus, that's a hell of a job! :eek:

Defenitely not DIY :hand:

It came into us with a fault of everytime you brake the headlights operated .

After a quick look around i found bits of copper wire next to the battery .. it soon became obvious that someone had drilled into the loom .

End story was he had a tracker fitted and the guy thought he could drill through the large wiring grommet next to the battery to run wires into the car .

What he didnt know was that the loom goes up at a 90 degree angle inside the car and he drilled straight through it ... think of a fist sized bunch of wires thats been drilled through .. it not a case of Insurance ... it just wasnt repairable .

The company owner came along and had a go at fixing it .. but the grommet is kinda welded to the wires and not designed to be cut open .. the car was also inside of warrenty .. either way i just fix them and i had to fit a complete loom.

It goes from the headlights to the back seats where it joins the rear loom .. hence a pretty big strip down .

Fun for me but not the poor tracker guy .. he got sacked .

The lengths people will go to...To get rid of a savannah interior.. :hand: :lol:

Amazing pic's Demort. :worship:
Not a job for the DIYer :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back