Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Boots

I had a set of Bridgestone S02A's fitted last year at Costco. If you have a members card or a friend has they were very reasonably priced and fitting was very professional.
Tyres were in stock and with recent date codes so hadn't been hanging around long.

Hi Les,

I'm going through the same search as you for my 993. If you are a member of the PCGB - they have a Pirelli tyre deal at the moment, my local Pirelli performance dealer is Micheldever Tyres, I just called them and they quoted me £609.32 for a set of Pirelli's and with that PCGB deal you get a £100 worth of fuel card.

That would bring the full set of tyres fitted to £509.32 including disposal and new valves .. I am very tempted ..

Hi Milsub, no, I'm a lapsed member.

Couldn't see any point in continuing. Lots of reasons but not relevant to this subject!

Thanks for the message, though. :wink:

No worries .. it does seem a good deal, full set of P Zero Rosso N4 rated

Apparently I can buy eight tyres a year under that deal .. and I'm only going to buy four this year .. .. :?:

A quick update on the quest for new tyres.

It's between Michelin PS2 and Bridgestone SO2.

I contacted both Black Circles and Tyre Leader to ask about date codes - fundamentally would the tyres be new (2018) - or stock previously held in storage?
They both said that as they source tyres daily they could not give any guarantees about date codes relating to manufacture.

Interestingly - and I didn't know this - tyres up to 2-years old may be sold legally as new. By law, dealers can sell tyres up to 5-years from date of manufacture as new. Now I thought I read somewhere on this forum that at 6-years a tyre is probably deemed to be past its best.

Both said that the tyres they sell are covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

Les Richards said:
A quick update on the quest for new tyres.

It's between Michelin PS2 and Bridgestone SO2.

I contacted both Black Circles and Tyre Leader to ask about date codes - fundamentally would the tyres be new (2018) - or stock previously held in storage?
They both said that as they source tyres daily they could not give any guarantees about date codes relating to manufacture.

Interestingly - and I didn't know this - tyres up to 2-years old may be sold legally as new. By law, dealers can sell tyres up to 5-years from date of manufacture as new. Now I thought I read somewhere on this forum that at 6-years a tyre is probably deemed to be past its best.

Both said that the tyres they sell are covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

Bridgestone S02 was THE tyre for the 993 IMHO. However they are NLA on that front ...... if you can source them, they must be years old and I'd avoid.

I now run S02A, N4s, they are great, but they aint the great late S02. :nooo:

However they are NLA on that front ...... if you can source them, they must be years old and I'd avoid.

Thanks - didn't know that. Seem to be available but perhaps dealers being economic with the facts...

Les Richards said:
However they are NLA on that front ...... if you can source them, they must be years old and I'd avoid.

Thanks - didn't know that. Seem to be available but perhaps dealers being economic with the facts...

Three sets of tyres ago (around 2013) I managed to get 4 x S02 tyres, luckily for me for some unknown reason Bridgestone had made a batch more. My tyres were stamped with a date that was only 6-9 months earlier than I bought them.

So I'd assume if there is stock somewhere (and I looked for ages in 2016 for some to no avail) then the build date would be sometime around 2012.... Thats brand new 6 years old tyres, I'm not so sure thats such a great thing.

Saying that, if they do have them, check the date on the tyres, maybe they made another later batch :thumb:

I loved them though, and sorely miss them, the car just seems to ride and grip so well. S02As are still fab, but not quite so fab ..... but they do do a whole load more mileage then the S02.

Saying that, if they do have them, check the date on the tyres, maybe they made another later batch

That appears to be the great bugbear when buying online. The supplier cannot - or will not - give guarantees on the manufacturing date. Perhaps they genuinely don't know.

That being the situation, having bought them and had them delivered for fitting what does one do if the dates are considered to be too old?

The fitting garage will not want to get involved. The money has been paid and banked and I'm stuck with tyres that are of no use to me.

The same happened to me when I bought the S02 for my 968 Club Sport.

Even though the S02 at that time were still being made, the build date was five years earlier, I questioned this and the tyre supplier said this was within age date. I wasn't happy but fitted them, and tbh they were absolutly fine......

The date code on the tyre is the actual manufacture date. Sure, some suppliers will keep tyres for a year or so before they sell or discount them, however there really should be no issue buying new tyres that are a year or so old providing they've been stored correctly.

If you can't wear a set of boots out in six or seven years then you clearly aren't trying hard enough. :grin:

C.

cableguy said:
The date code on the tyre is the actual manufacture date. Sure, some suppliers will keep tyres for a year or so before they sell or discount them, however there really should be no issue buying new tyres that are a year or so old providing they've been stored correctly.

If you can't wear a set of boots out in six or seven years then you clearly aren't trying hard enough. :grin:

C.

Youve read it wrong. Its the (older>5 years) age of the tyres BEFORE they are sold to the consumer :thumb:

^^^^^^ Cool. I would expect a heavy discount off any supplier selling new tyres that were two years or older.

C.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back