Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best Budget drivers / fun car for very little money !!

Boba fett

I have always thought this day an age you don't need to spend mega money on a drivers car for which you can have serious fun with.

I have had loads that are good contenders, but I thought a Clio 182 Trophy could not be beaten ever (which I have) until I drove an RS 200 Cup.

It might be a cheap car and made out of cheese, but god its good !!

I was a must have, however, Its not fast at all, but Its now the keys I take for the daily and its a Hoot !! :thumb: :thumb:

My lads had 2 mx-5s and for what you can pick them up for, they're a barrel of laughs. Last one cost him £900 and it was the sport version with full leather and decent larger alloys too.

Alfa GTV twinspark, so much car for the money and lots of fun to drive. Looks good too, even after 20+ years. That Alfa rasp on full throttle is a joy.

I keep thinking I'll sell mine as I have too many cars but still haven't even tried. For what I'd get for it it's just not worth it.

alex yates said:
My lads had 2 mx-5s and for what you can pick them up for, they're a barrel of laughs. Last one cost him £900 and it was the sport version with full leather and decent larger alloys too.

+1 for the MX5, Mrs pzero has had two in the past, you'd struggle to find a better gearbox. Great car for the money.

Honda S2000...I know they are not cheap, but I went halves with a cousin and we paid £1000 for it :floor:

Turned it into a track slag
bdsm.gif

:thumb:

pzero said:
alex yates said:

+1 for the MX5, Mrs pzero has had two in the past, you'd struggle to find a better gearbox. Great car for the money.

+2
A mk1 (pop up light) is an awesome fun little car.
Not quick but quite revvy and you can use all the power and take it to the red-line.

Had a very clean black mk1 a few yrs back as daily.
Cracking rifle action manual gearbox too :thumb:

adamw said:
pzero said:
alex yates said:

+2
A mk1 (pop up light) is an awesome fun little car.
Not quick but quite revvy and you can use all the power and take it to the red-line.

Had a very clean black mk1 a few yrs back as daily.
Cracking rifle action manual gearbox too :thumb:

Yep, red line doesn't come in anytime before 8k revs iirc, and it's rear wheel drive.

My lads sport version was around 8s to 60 so fast enough for him. Gearbox was great on it. Bought it for 900, ran it in to the ground then sold it for 300.

Compare that to the hot hatches of tbe 80s, xr3i, gte, etc. And they don't come close on price, running cost and fun. And thats excluding inflation. Think I paid around 900 for a 8 year old strada back in the day.

Good thing about the MX-5 is, when it does eventually succumb to whatever causes them to fail an MOT, you can strip them and build an MEV track car. The chassis and bodywork are about £3000 and spare parts are easily sourced.
Looks a bit like a Radical but without the eye watering price tag :D

Clio 182

NB series 2 MX5. Cracking little chassis with some good poke. Modern enough and cheap as chips to run and buy. Engine Is bullet proof.
:thumb:

I really enjoyed my old E36 328i... a nice one was under £1-2k though I note the price of these seems to have risen sharply.

wasz said:
Suzuki Swift sport.

A singing n/a engine with just enough power

Sub 1000kg

Sub £1500

Takes me back to late 80's early 90's hot hatches.

I had one back in 2006 at the age of 19. Loved it! Think it was £10.5k new, was a bargain at the time for what they are / were. It really needed a 6th gear as it sat on 5k rpm on the motorway.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back