Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MOT Fail - Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover

cambjones

Another mark on my MOT history grrrrrrr....

The chap says this is a new item they need to inspect.

Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)

I reckon this is probably something I can do myself??

Anyone here done this before? Any tips?

I just can't seem to find this part easily though. All I seem to be able to find is the full link and not just the covers

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsc...rop-link-left-993-c4-c4s-turbo-1994-1998.html

I also can't seem to find the 'cover' or 'boot' on the parts diagram

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=3&MDL=24&TBL=2361&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=99334307101&SC=1

Perhaps I do have to replace the full link?

Any help much appreciated

https://www.elephantracing.com/pors...nks-for-993/#front-oem-replacement-drop-links

I see some rubber bushes but wasn't aware of a dust cover like the gaiters that cover driveshafts etc.

I took my old beater BMW for its MOT only to be told that there was excessive movement in the front offside bushes and deterioration of suspension components. We had a standoff when I produced the invoice for new dampers, springs, roll bars etc that had been fitted days before the MOT. His boss intervened and passed my car.

I had exactly the same MOT fail. Porsche don't sell just the boot but you can buy generic versions easily from a good local motor factor for just a few pounds.

Fitting requires removal of the drop link but it is a very simple job requiring no special tools.

Rather rashly I bought two new drop links for mine to get back on the road quickly and then after inspecting the old ones repaired them with generic boots.

So now I have two good spare front drop links for a C4.

Good catch kerb scraper!

Does the cover go over the whole bolt or does it sit between the drop link and roll bar?

Many thanks.

Mine's a C4 also... this is what I could find by the way of a new drop link.

Is this what yours look like?

Which part is the boot? Are you able to show a picture of your old ones... or the boots?

I'm not sure what to ask for from the local garage for in terms of a generic boot.

Attachments

• drop_link_825.jpg
    drop_link_825.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 11,241
Ahhh... just saw your Link Sutton... thanks

That looks like the boot..

Is that right kerb scraper?

Attachments

• drop_link2_413.jpg
    drop_link2_413.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 11,238
The bit highlighted in the last pic is actually just a protective plastic moulding that comes on the new drop link to protect it in transit and is thrown away before fitting.

The boot that needs to be replaced can be clearly seen in your first pic as the transparent white bit with pink circlip holding it in place. I put up some pics with a separate post in 2016 but of course thanks to Photobucket policy change they have disappeared. I'll see if I can find them again in my archives.

I had a similar issue on my C4 in June 17 - new link from Type 911 - £140 plus vat and shipping.

Wish I had known about the boot - that has really spoilt my day.

:sad:

OK here we go.

The generic boots that I bought were from my local factors Bennetts in St Albans (tel. 01727 855879) at £9.75 for a pack of five (you only need two). The manufacturer is 'High Tech parts' the product code is PRDC04 Dust Cover, hole 11x29mm height 26mm.

Picture of drop link showing damaged original boot (cause of MOT failure)
JZ6012W.jpg

Generic boot and 'O' rings that replace the original circlip and seal in place:
0B7YFjr.jpg

Generic boot fitted:
5TzhCM6.jpg

I cleaned off all the old hardened grease first, cleaned and then packed the joint with fresh grease before fitting the new boot.

PM me if you get stuck, I may be able to help.

That's great, thank you for taking the time to dig up that old post.

I think I will have a crack at this myself.

New drop links £200 a piece ..... I paid £110 two years ago from my local OPC . Have they really gone up that much :dont know:

yeah local OPC quotes £160 something + VAT

Cheaper on Type911 £170 (£140 + VAT)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back