Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best tuners for 997.1 turbo

Mezgerite said:
Some were using a Dynojet inertia Dyno which gives very American figures!

Everything is bigger in America!!!

911tom said:
I did not know that Ade. How do ES name there kits? Is an ES700 approx. 700WHP?

yes bud, and on the conservative side ;-)

tgdesign said:
Hi Gents

I thought I would put it out there. Looking at a stage 2 tune.
kline exhaust 100 cell cats. Done
Gt2 RS intercoolers Done
BMC filter. Done
upgraded clutch Done

Tune Next on the list

Who tuned your 997 turbos ??
Anyone had any issues ??
Were you pleased with the results ??
Where there claims true??
Please let me know your thoughts.

:worship:

Dont forget there is also http://parr-uk.co.uk/
and https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/
both competent tuners in their own right

Mezgerite said:

VERY :grin: :thumb:

They show more at the wheel on a bike than we see at the gearbox shaft on an engine dyno. When working in the States in the mid-late eighties I met the founders of the company, Dan, Mark and Mike Dobek, who told me that they kept upping the horsepower number until an average bike made the same as a manufacturer quoted at the crank. This was to stop bike owners' chins hitting the floor when showing real horsepower. Mark said that they calculated the radius of gyration of a Harley rear wheel, then used this and the mass to 'approximate' crank power. It calcs out at around 15-18% optimistic on a bike.

The car world use the same DJ scale as far as I'm aware, so ends up being a total cluster ****. We gave up with the DJ system when tuning super bikes and bought a Superflow 902, it's great.

DynoMike said:
Mezgerite said:

They show more at the wheel on a bike than we see at the gearbox shaft on an engine dyno. When working in the States in the mid-late eighties I met the founders of the company, Dan, Mark and Mike Dobek, who told me that they kept upping the horsepower number until an average bike made the same as a manufacturer quoted at the crank. This was to stop bike owners' chins hitting the floor when showing real horsepower. Mark said that they calculated the radius of gyration of a Harley rear wheel, then used this and the mass to 'approximate' crank power. It calcs out at around 15-18% optimistic on a bike.

The car world use the same DJ scale as far as I'm aware, so ends up being a total cluster ****. We gave up with the DJ system when tuning super bikes and bought a Superflow 902, it's great.

Yes, It was the bike figures from the old American days of inflated OEM figures that did it. Also inertia was ok back when 200bhp was a lot, but for a 500bhp plus engine it like revving up in neutral - there is just not enough load for a meaningful figure.

M

Mezgerite said:
DynoMike said:
Mezgerite said:

Yes, It was the bike figures from the old American days of inflated OEM figures that did it. Also inertia was ok back when 200bhp was a lot, but for a 500bhp plus engine it like revving up in neutral - there is just not enough load for a meaningful figure.

M

Spot on about the lack of load, this was the reason we swapped (well, one of many), after finding wet piston crowns after multiple pulls which were conducted in 6th gear and on long gearing to try to put as much load on the motor as we could. One proper pull on the engine brake saw a true carbon pattern emerging on the pistons, with no dampness in sight. Perfect.

One more thing to be wary of on DJ dynos, they reward over advanced ignition which can be catastrophic when the motor is subjected to vmax style events.

Sorry OP, will get back on topic now :thumb:

Mike

I had a meeting with a tuning house yesterday and he told me that Dynometers actually have a USA setting giving them 30 % additional readings. :grin:

tgdesign said:
Hi Gents

Gt2 RS intercoolers Done
BMC filter. Done
upgraded clutch Done

Tune Next on the list

Anyone had any issues ??

There are 3 tuner considerations that I had when I went through the same decision making process that you seem to currently face TG. With an almost identical setup to yours might I add.

These were

ESmotor
Unicorn
9e

Company Backgrounds

9e and ES motor were actually founded by Porsche enthusiasts . Ken from 9e originates from an IT background and went through the entire process of finding out what parts work best for the best outcome at the most efficient cost. This all happened 7-10 years ago. Moreover, it's the reason everyone uses 997 GT2 RS intercoolers on the sub 700 bhp 997 996 TT cars as he found out through testing that these are the best bang for buck intercoolers. Ken's contributions to the Porsche community as an individual member is something that should be recognised as its set a lot of foundational rules for Tuning the Mezger. If you do enough googling you'll find all his old threads on 6Speed and Pistonheads.

9e also works with Todd from Protomotive who has been renowned for being one of the best Mezger tuner up until recently which is now in dispute depending on who you speak to.

Emre from ES I believe is fully qualified Lawyer and started making noises in Porsche Tuning about 5 years ago iirc. Im not aware of his historic achievements (please add if anyone knows) but his recent achievements in the last 2 years have completely turned the Porsche tuning world upside down.

Rick, Im not aware of his background but I am aware of his unique abilities with the Mezger in that is able to unlock the Stock Motec ECU to hold up to 5 different tunes. Flatfoot shifting iirc and launch control is also possible through Rick on the stock ECU. Hell he can even program launch control to work in reverse on the Tiptronic cars. Moreover , Unicorn are able to tune TCU's of Tiptronic cars to shift faster etc. These were important considerations of mine as I have a Tiptronic car. His Dyno is also extremely well calibrated and accurate for Porsche cars. In all a very capable guy.

Historically, when 9e brought out their tuning products in early 2010 (fellow members please correct me on the exact year) they held the VMaxx record for a long period of time with their customer cars.

This was until 2016 when ESmotor showcased their clients cars smashing all the UK records for VMaxx and Terminal Velocity by significant margins. This also included a Porsche only Top speed event hosted by this forum. Craig, a member on here had a 2007 911 Turbo 997 and it beat a Koenigsegg at Vmaxx with his ES package. Their achievements go on and on. They are now setting world records.

Discussion

If you were to ever to ask the question of "Which Tuner is better" things get messy as usually you'll have some die hard tuner fan (you know who you are) come and accuse ES motor's packages of being "too fast" and affecting the reliability of the engine . Or they will say they use Water methanol injection , which lowers intake temperatures which means they are cheating...

I (like many other members) found these comments to be extremely distasteful and bullying in nature.

However, do not let this discourage you from entertaining any of the tuning companies I considered . The tuners themselves are all strictly professional and maintain a civilised diplomacy between themselves.

Side Note: There hasn't been a single instance of failure reported about tune provided from ESmotor company. Moreover, ES and 9e entertain the use of Water methanol injection.

The ironic thing is, when 9e stepped on the scene and demonstrated their tuning abilities by breaking records they were met with almost the same backlash of "Your tuning isn't reliable"

So I guess history repeats itself.

Features

After speaking with all three tuners I found they had significantly different tuner offerings . Most of these are set out below. They are all accurate in their power figures so do not worry about what gets delivered.

Unicorn- Launch control, 5 Custom Maps, Mafless Tune if desired. All utilised on the stock ecu.

Rick is based in Manchester so you will have to arrange delivery and pickup of the car.

EsMotor- Fastest tuner,Cobb Accessport, Mafless Tune if desired.

The CobbAccess Port which gets provided with the tune is fantastic. I have one and it enables you to monitor all the parameters of the car and easily log the car. Its also reads and clears fault codes.

9e- Their tune are only part of a process-Boost leak, spark plug change with appropriate gapping. Mafless Tune

9e are the most expensive but don't let that discourage you as what you get is a lot more than just a tune. Its a service package- Uprated DV,Boost leak check, Spark plug change including correct gaping. These are all absolutely crucial to tuning a Mezger correctly. I wouldn't entertain a tune from any Tuner without commencing these measures.

I personally chose to take a different path with a different tuner . I won't disclose the company for the moment as they aren't taking on any more Porsche clients but I will say they are world record holders :thumbs:

I hope this helps,

Don't forget to enjoy the journey!

Good Luck

116618LN said:
So, who's your tuner?

Amended and answered above for you buddy.

Could we have a dm conversation about engine builds. I'd like to pick your brains on your opinions of certain aspects of my build.

ok51mon said:
tgdesign said:
Hi Gents

Gt2 RS intercoolers Done
BMC filter. Done
upgraded clutch Done

Tune Next on the list

Anyone had any issues ??

There are 3 tuner considerations that I had when I went through the same decision making process that you seem to currently face TG. With an almost identical setup to yours might I add.

These were

ESmotor
Unicorn
9e

Company Backgrounds

9e and ES motor were actually founded by Porsche enthusiasts . Ken from 9e originates from an IT background and went through the entire process of finding out what parts work best for the best outcome at the most efficient cost. This all happened 7-10 years ago. Moreover, it's the reason everyone uses 997 GT2 RS intercoolers on the sub 700 bhp 997 996 TT cars as he found out through testing that these are the best bang for buck intercoolers. Ken's contributions to the Porsche community as an individual member is something that should be recognised as its set a lot of foundational rules for Tuning the Mezger. If you do enough googling you'll find all his old threads on 6Speed and Pistonheads.

9e also works with Todd from Protomotive who has been renowned for being one of the best Mezger tuner up until recently which is now in dispute depending on who you speak to.

Emre from ES I believe is fully qualified Lawyer and started making noises in Porsche Tuning about 5 years ago iirc. Im not aware of his historic achievements (please add if anyone knows) but his recent achievements in the last 2 years have completely turned the Porsche tuning world upside down.

Rick, Im not aware of his background but I am aware of his unique abilities with the Mezger in that is able to unlock the Stock Motec ECU to hold up to 5 different tunes. Flatfoot shifting iirc and launch control is also possible through Rick on the stock ECU. Hell he can even program launch control to work in reverse on the Tiptronic cars. Moreover , Unicorn are able to tune TCU's of Tiptronic cars to shift faster etc. These were important considerations of mine as I have a Tiptronic car. His Dyno is also extremely well calibrated and accurate for Porsche cars. In all a very capable guy.

Historically, when 9e brought out their tuning products in early 2010 (fellow members please correct me on the exact year) they held the VMaxx record for a long period of time with their customer cars.

This was until in 2016 ago when ESmotor showcased their clients cars smashing all the UK records for VMaxx and Terminal Velocity by significant margins. This also included a Porsche only Top speed event hosted by this forum. Craig, a member on here had a 2007 911 Turbo 997 and it beat a Koenigsegg at Vmaxx with his ES package. Their achievements go on and on. They are now setting world records.

Discussion

If you were to ever to ask the question of "Which Tuner is better" things get messy as usually you'll have some die hard tuner fan (you know who you are) come and accuse ES motor's packages of being "too fast" and affecting the reliability of the engine . Or they will say they use Water methanol injection , which lowers intake temperatures which means they are cheating...

I (like many other members) found these comments to be extremely distasteful and bullying in nature.

However, do not let this discourage you from entertaining any of the tuning companies I considered . The tuners themselves are all strictly professional and maintain a civilised diplomacy between themselves.

Side Note: There hasn't been a single instance of failure reported about tune provided from ESmotor company. Moreover, ES and 9e entertain the use of Water methanol injection.

The ironic thing is, when 9e stepped on the scene and demonstrated their tuning abilities by breaking records they were met with almost the same backlash of "Your tuning isn't reliable"

Features

After speaking with all three tuners I found they had significantly different tuner offerings . Most of these are set out below. They are all accurate in their power figures so do not worry about what gets delivered.

Unicorn- Launch control, 5 Custom Maps, Mafless Tune if desired. All utilised on the stock ecu.

Rick is based in Manchester so you will have to arrange delivery and pickup of the car.

The CobbAccess Port which gets provided with the tune is fantastic. I have one and it enables you to monitor all the parameters of the car and easily log the car. Its also reads and clears fault codes.

9e- Their tune are only part of a process-Boost leak, spark plug change with appropriate gapping. Mafless Tune

9e are the most expensive but don't let that discourage you as what you get is a lot more than just a tune. Its a service package- Uprated DV,Boost leak check, Spark plug change including correct gaping. These are all absolutely crucial to tuning a Mezger correctly. I wouldn't entertain a tune from any Tuner without commencing these measures.

I personally chose to take a different path with a different tuner . I won't disclose the company for the moment as they aren't taking on any more Porsche clients but I will say they are world record holders :thumbs:

I hope this helps,

Good Luck

Many thanks for your input :thumb: The 911 magazine did a write up not so long ago on 5 different tuned cars.
It's a shame 9e, and ES cars were not in there.
As those two seem to be top dogs at the moment.
A friend of mine had a 997.2 turbo s tuned by someone who isn't a know Porsche tuner and they blow the motor up
:eek:

So also people to avoid is worth knowing.

Thanks for everone input keep it coming :thumb:

tgdesign said:
ok51mon said:
tgdesign said:
Hi Gents

Gt2 RS intercoolers Done
BMC filter. Done
upgraded clutch Done

Tune Next on the list

Anyone had any issues ??

These were

ESmotor
Unicorn
9e

Company Backgrounds

This was until in 2016 ago when ESmotor showcased their clients cars smashing all the UK records for VMaxx and Terminal Velocity by significant margins. This also included a Porsche only Top speed event hosted by this forum. Craig, a member on here had a 2007 911 Turbo 997 and it beat a Koenigsegg at Vmaxx with his ES package. Their achievements go on and on. They are now setting world records.

Discussion

Features

I hope this helps,

Good Luck

Many thanks for your input :thumb: The 911 magazine did a write up not so long ago on 5 different tuned cars.
It's a shame 9e, and ES cars were not in there.
As those two seem to be top dogs at the moment.
A friend of mine had a 997.2 turbo s tuned by someone who isn't a know Porsche tuner and they blow the motor up
:eek:

So also people to avoid is worth knowing.

Thanks for everone input keep it coming :thumb:

I doubt you'll get a list of companies to avoid. I would also keep an open mind to Tuning houses that don't specify in one brand of car. Unicorn do not and yet they are the only Tuner Im aware of that are able to store maps on the factory ECU.

As for engine failures, I don't believe anything until I see evidence. And even then I am critical.

In my view, failures would be minimised and almost neutralised if Tuners and members would knowledge share like they used to in the 2000's of the new and exciting developments made.

The saddest thing is, many of individuals who went into tuning as a business used to be friends .

I haven't heard or experienced tuners to avoid.Some comments were made on DMS .

I had a tune from them. However, I cannot comment on the figure that the car put out as I never V boxed it. The owner Rob, is a true enthusiast and I never had any problems. In fact they remedied a mechanical problem I had that no one else could seem to locate.

My parting advice would be. Don't price compare. Go with a tuner who is passionate in what they do. One that doesn't stop talking about their subject matter.

Markski from Markski Tuning springs to mind (another very strong tuner consideration) . The first conversation I had with him lasted almost three hours lol I didn't go with his tune as I wanted a UK based Tuner but if I ever have a comprehensive problem I always pay him for his advice .

Once you've found the correct tuner, pay them whatever they ask. You'll always get more than you pay for.

:thumb:

Very good unbiased advice. Probably one of the very few that doesn't only promote what tuner they have!

Good write up Si, it's easy for people to get lost in following the herd :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back