Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Broken Dizzy Belt.....

I replaced the belt on my 964 a few years back, it's not a difficult diy job and as others have posted there a a few links which give step by step instructions, the hardest bit was compressing the spring to get the circlip back on.

Just make sure the engines at TDC when removing the dizzy and that the rotors are correctly timed on refitting, they turn through around 30 degrees when pushing the dizzy back into the block due to the helical gear so it can take a couple of attempts to get the primary rotor to be positioned to cylinder 1 on refitting, it'll be obvious though if you're one tooth out on refitting.

@all, Happy New Year !

.....in the new season only with revised ignition distributor - all parts in stock, 7201 bearings, Conti CT-1032 belt and more........ Infos [email protected]

Attachments

• poliert_vitriene_577.jpg
    poliert_vitriene_577.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 13,102
Guys late to this but had this problem with my dizzy belt.
After i stripped the dizzy down it was apparent that I had a seized bearing which caused the belt to snap.

I ended up shipping my dizzy to Dennis at Elferwelt in Germany to be refurbished.

https://www.elferwelt.de/

manners said:
Guys late to this but had this problem with my dizzy belt.
After i stripped the dizzy down it was apparent that I had a seized bearing which caused the belt to snap.

I ended up shipping my dizzy to Dennis at Elferwelt in Germany to be refurbished.

https://www.elferwelt.de/

Interesting . Their site looks good but all in German

How much did your rebuild cost?
How long did it take?

Probably best to get a quote from Dennis but mine cost 318 euros. Which included replacement of the 4 bearings, belt and pin.

Found him via German ebay and I think he does work for Porsche museum although I could be talking crap...

Total turnaround time was 2 weeks.

manners said:
Probably best to get a quote from Dennis but mine cost 318 euros. Which included replacement of the 4 bearings, belt and pin.

Found him via German ebay and I think he does work for Porsche museum although I could be talking crap...

Total turnaround time was 2 weeks.

Thanks manners

I might get a quote and then send it off. My car is running really well and my normal rule is to wait until something goes wrong before I try fixing it. But I'm thinking of driving it down to Italy in May for the Mille Miglia so it would be a shame if I've crossed the channel and then the belt breaks on the distributor.

A993LAD said:
manners said:
Thanks manners

I might get a quote and then send it off. My car is running really well and my normal rule is to wait until something goes wrong before I try fixing it. But I'm thinking of driving it down to Italy in May for the Mille Miglia so it would be a shame if I've crossed the channel and then the belt breaks on the distributor.

......is not good, engine damage by dizzy-belt is very expensive-come to me if you drive to the Mille Miglia and I overhaul your Distributor !!! Infos by [email protected]

All this looked far too technical for me so my Indy has swapped out the belt as a preventative measure :thumb:

Some suggestion the belts are no longer available from Porsche :dont know:

Not mine but another broken belt from a 964 sent to Didi for rebuild. My mechanic asks me to send them as he's not really into IT. Incredible service last one was back in 3 days. Seems to be more common with 964s than 993s as some do not have the breather pipe. There may already be a problem as no 5 cylinder is not firing on the single dizzy. When I did the dizzy caps the belt looked fine but I will get it done this winter. If you have a 100k + motor it's something to consider doing.

@ Endoman,....... everything ok, I can sign blind! But the breather pipe alone does not save the Dizzy, often the Bearings are rusted and without fat (~ 20 years old !!) An old, cracked Belt is tired and tears off or freak out !! - CONTI specifies 7-8 years exactly as in the field of camshaft drive for other engines.

Service or parts for your dizzy - Infos [email protected]

.... the belt looked like this - the Bearings were also at the end ........

Attachments

• _john_767.jpg
    _john_767.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 9,787
........new belts CONTI CT-1032 production date 2018 arrived !!
&........ Bearings !

Attachments

• ct1032_2_149.jpg
    ct1032_2_149.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9,437
.......Special Offer:

..... here for : 170,00€

Attachments

• 20180803_165206_137.jpg
    20180803_165206_137.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8,904
Hi Diddi, what do you charge for supplying the belt and doing the work ?
Regards
Jack D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back