Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 1 and Gen 2 Prices

KJD said:
I've almost had my 997.1 2 years now and from what I see it's retained its value or at worst only dropped a few % so that has to be good news.
The equivalent spend on a BMW or Merc would now have me in tears.
I don't follow prices on 997.2 or 991 as they are out of reach for me so I just enjoy what I have.

:grin:

Well said mate!

Not interested in owning a car purely as an investment but driving a 997.1 but wanting a 997.2 (funds don't currently allow) I wonder if the gap I need to bridge will become larger as time passes.

Steve997 said:
..................... driving a 997.1 but wanting a 997.2 (funds don't currently allow) I wonder if the gap I need to bridge will become larger as time passes.

Personally, as that gap is already quite significant, I can't see that it will get any larger if you just compare similar (i.e model, spec, history, ave' miles pa) Gen1 to Gen2 cars.

How many £££'s your own 'cost to change' will increase will of course depend upon whether you end up going for a lower average mileage per annum, higher spec car than your current one rather than just a like-for-like change.

Good Luck :thumb:

Another question... a top notch fully Hartech'd .1 or a standard higher miles .2 :?:

Robertb said:
Another question... a top notch fully Hartech'd .1 or a standard higher miles .2 :?:

Both will be a major step-up from the 996, in particularly the interior and IMHO the looks of the 997 versus the 996 too. Though I do like the bum of the 996 C4S

For me there's not enough of a difference between the 997.1 and 997.2 to warrant me splashing out but here are my pros and cons:

+ arguably better sound, just love the sports exhaust on the .1
+ more manuals available which could be a major point of getting / not getting a .2
+ prefer the slightly larger and non-LED rear lights on the 997.1
+ good value at the moment compared with the 997.2

+ better PCN interface, bluetooth and touchscreen sat nav
+ steering feels slightly better at front end
+ PDK is amazing compared with the tiptronic if that's what you want
+ DFI engine better made than the 997.1 and slightly more beneficial mpg too

I couldn't justify circa 10k to change up, but then I do know the status of my car in terms of servicing, upkeep, 2nd owner etc. A well priced GTS on the otherhand may sway me.... :grin:

Car is 3.8 C2S with 51k on the clock and full service history.

Genuine mint Condition, supplied from RSJ with invoices going back 12 years and lots of preventative maintenance. Took me a long time to find the right car and it is genuinely very nice in great condtion.

I reckon it would cost me £18000 to get in a 10 plate gen 2 C2S with similar miles and condition.

FZP said:
Robertb said:
Paul Farrar said:
....and of course, if I hadn't sold my full history, manual and low mileage 993 Carrera S for £35K 6 years ago, I wouldn't have to pay probably double that to buy one now....

Funnily enough was looking at the classified ads of a 2006 Porsche mag the other day... highlights were a nice 993 2S for £36k, and a 16k mile 964RS for £39k! Oh, and £64k for a 3000 miles 2005 C2S... a nice 50k mile 996 TT was £41k, not disimilar to what they fetch now.
I'm still not over the 997.1 GT3RS i almost bought for £68k with 15k miles on the clock.
The 997.2 C2S is the sleeper in that range. It will be more desirable as the years go on

Change that '2' for a '4' and you coluld be right :grin:

I think there is a possible scenario for 997's to command higher prices than 991's....But...... you're all going to have to wait a few decades for that to happen and you're all going to have to squirrel them away in a barn with low mileage.

I can't see 'Porsche' allowing a 2011 997 being of higher value than a 2012 991, let's be realistic. Maybe in 20 to 30 years from now when they become insignificant or relevant to the likes of a future 998.2.

So here's the no brainer choices:
Option 1, drive the 911 whilst you're alive and not depriving yourself, there's 1000's and 1000's of them, they are not a flat nose
Option 2, squirrel the car and die thinking you could have driven a 911

No brainer...

spongebob squarepants said:
FZP said:
Robertb said:
Paul Farrar said:
....and of course, if I hadn't sold my full history, manual and low mileage 993 Carrera S for £35K 6 years ago, I wouldn't have to pay probably double that to buy one now....

Funnily enough was looking at the classified ads of a 2006 Porsche mag the other day... highlights were a nice 993 2S for £36k, and a 16k mile 964RS for £39k! Oh, and £64k for a 3000 miles 2005 C2S... a nice 50k mile 996 TT was £41k, not disimilar to what they fetch now.
I'm still not over the 997.1 GT3RS i almost bought for £68k with 15k miles on the clock.
The 997.2 C2S is the sleeper in that range. It will be more desirable as the years go on

Change that '2' for a '4' and you coluld be right :grin:
The 4S already command a hefty premium hence my comment. White C4S will be the least valuable in the future :floor:
I do feel, looking at history that 2wd are always the more sought after for the pure 911 experience, hence the sleep tag. There is room to grow there.
GT Silver/Cocoa will be the unicorn in desirability in the future :bandit:

Love the GT Silver/Cocoa combination, gratuitous pics please!

Here is mine, love it :D

Attachments

• fb_img_1493873772541_512.jpg
    fb_img_1493873772541_512.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 2,974
This is my first Porsche, 997.1. had it 5 years now and just do not want to change it for anything else. Maintained by Hartech with 41000 on the clock, should hold it's value for a while :D

Attachments

• wp_20150425_003_1_466.jpg
    wp_20150425_003_1_466.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 2,777
I do put mine away over winter but only to avoid the weather. Drive it has much as possible in the summer. I've never lost much on 911 unlike my other daily's I'm happy to loose £3k a year it's cheap motoring for the type of car it is. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back