Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

rusty sills

On the back of this I checked my inner sills last night and there was a little surface corrosion so that been treated and have some Dinitrol cavity wax on the way.
Thanks for putting this up, I would encourage all to check this out as its easy to do yourself i.e. wheel off then arch liner (on the front). Still need to get rear cover off but looked okay from what I could see.

Great skills, nice one OP!:worship:

Its a salutary reminder to all us 996ers (and 997ers that are coming of age!) to have a look behind the plastic bits to see what lurks. Another job for me to add to my ever growing list.

coullstar said:
On the back of this I checked my inner sills last night and there was a little surface corrosion so that been treated and have some Dinitrol cavity wax on the way.
Thanks for putting this up, I would encourage all to check this out as its easy to do yourself i.e. wheel off then arch liner (on the front). Still need to get rear cover off but looked okay from what I could see.

I had to drill the heads of the screws off to get the plastic off.

The rear will be worse than the front. Pop the grommets off and take a peek inside the sill and brace mounting point.

I will replace the screws and captive nuts with stainless.

some thorough work there, I looked under mine last week, the surface under the sill seam looked like there was quite a lot of surface rust and poking about near the jacking point found some more it doesnt seem to have gone through so I ground it off and rust treated and repainted. Its more than a delaying tactic rather than a cure. Ill take off one of the end plugs and have a look inside with with endoscope.[/quote]

Attachments

• img_20180127_191701_702.jpg
    img_20180127_191701_702.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 7,556
Yeah I did the rears tonight, took off the small liner and as expected the amount of hard packed dirt was considerable.

All clean now. I popped the grommet of and inner sill was fine but I'm still going to get the cavity wax in there. I'm actually thinking it might be better to leave the liner off so you can prevent the dirt build up. It's just seems cosmetic. I'll need to drill out the screws for the lower spats.
I would urge everyone to do this on their front and rear liners.

I would keep the liners in place, without them, I'm sure the gravel thrown up by the wheels would do far more damage.

On the rear, Im not so sure. Almost every other older car Ive had didn't have rear liners and Ive never had an issue in that area.
There is stone chip all round and I might just add more. Quick jet wash to clean up.

The area covered by the lower spats was worse on mine. You can flip a grommet out and do the inside of the area where the brace bar bolts up.

rIai2SB.jpg

Pushed on some more with this, spent saturday trimming the passenger side skirt to give me a shut line im happy with, i then drilled and installed rivnuts at the ends and under the sills to hold the skirt in place.

I then spent the rest of the weekend applying seam sealer and underseal to the repaired areas which now look like this

u9WGEYF.jpg

that's the new jacking point I made

T7K8jLL.jpg

the rear sill I cut out

jjI2JuL.jpg

the inside of the rear arch, the red primer will be covered with the correct shade of black once it arrives.

Tomorrow once the underseal has dried I'll do a final test fit of the side skirt and refit the rear brace to the subframe and sill.

Overall I'm very happy with how it's come together, I've decided to leave the other side until later in the year when I can get a week of decent weather instead of ducking in and out as I am now, so I'll just trim up and fit the side skirt to that side and get it in for an mot and see if there's any other issues lurking before removing them again and sending off for paint.

Well it turned out I couldn't turn a blind eye to the osr sill rust and just put the side skirt over it and send it for mot. Today I had the wire wheel at it and started cutting

GEaVrv6.jpg

bMma7pi.jpg

this side was considerably better than the other side with only a small hole in front of the jacking point. I've still had to remove 6 inches to get access to everything an I've cut the jacking point out and will replace it with one matching the other side.

The inside length of the sills on this side are quite good with only minor corrosion, I'll still douse them in phosphoric acid and fill them with dinitrol though.

Funnily enough my friends and I were talking about this thread yesterday. I spotted some rust on my boxster which only took a few weeks to develop so i thought i'd have a look on the forum to see if there were any 993/964 members with any useful info (as they're the ones who are always sandal deep in rust). I certainly didn't expect to see a 996 with this level of rot!

Fair play to you though old bean, absolutely cracking effort and brill fabrication skills :thumb:

38848416620_30e5a346b1_h.jpg

sorry for the delay been busy getting the work done, there's not as many photos of this side as it's the same as the other really.

Ahom0uR.jpg

ciap96A.jpg

Ek7XXuj.jpg

the inner sills were in a lot better condition this side.

1RCKxPt.jpg

L1o6RLf.jpg

prfkyh2.jpg

B0Rgj7B.jpg

LWPzvsb.jpg

mTHhk3g.jpg

today after a nervous 30 minutes I got one of these

THHCBQ0.jpg

I've also fitted my 18" replica lobster claw wheels

cYT98jj.jpg

tomorrow I drop the skirts off for paint and once refitted I can call the job complete finally!

:goodjob:

Now you can get on with driving the thing. :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back