Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

how do you stop discs from corroding?

alex yates said:
angry said:
What are you guys like!

I bet you don't treat your wives this well! :floor:

I'll have you know I wash my wife once a week just like my car......although I must admit, she doesn't get the two bucket method. :grin:

:floor:

wasz said:
hedgehogsdad said:
I had my car washed last weekend at a local hand car wash.

This is your problem.

They will have used wheel acid to clean the wheels, or alkaline traffic film remover on your cars.

These products bring the dirt off really quick and leave a nice shiny car, but the acid / alkaline continues to east away at your car accelerating corrosion.

Your discs are very susceptible, as are alloys - any paint damage and your wheels will be bubbling up in short order.

Wash any car you care about yourself by hand.

To quote a recent famous movie "almost everything you have just said is wrong" I only wash the car myself - and don't use either of the product types you mention this happens after using a high quality car wash product and like say sometimes after just driving in rain.

Appreciate the input but in my case - your solution isn't the answer!

Palladium said:
its the handbrake sticking, i have had cars and vans do that in the past, happens in the winter if you leave the car for a week or two, no big deal really, just leave the handbrake off and in gear, stick bricks round the rear wheels if on a gradient, and stop worrying.

Great thinking - but I park in A garage and never use the handbrake...
PDK car so it is just left in park. Can't actually remember the last time I used the handbrake!

Best thing is a blast around after cleaning, but as I often wash the car in the rain (yes, I know) or when wet out that is not always possible.

I have bought a hot air blower (actually a dog groomer, they're much cheaper) mainly for the bike but also to blow out/dry the discs before the rusting starts. This will give the neighbors even more reason to take the p**s.

Only partial success so far, but working on my technique as you do not get long before they rust. Will update on progress in due course.

Ok .. im going to have to wave my finger here .. blowing out brake discs , shoes .. whatever is not a good idea .. mechanic on the next ramp to me did it once .. he wont be doing it again thats for sure .

Basically its not good stuff .. if your going to do it then i want face masks on please gentlemen .

Anyways .. the inner surface of the disc is what normally corrodes and youll struggle getting an air line on that side .

Basically the discs are very soft which makes them better at stopping but also much better at corrodeing .

Hard run or a fast heat cycle on the brakes which is driving the car with one foot on the brake and the other on the acc . pedal .. im not telling you to do this of cource .. you could over heat the brakes or crash !

Ok thats my safety lecture over .. off to other posts now so you can talk about me behind my back as ive left the room .

Demort said:
Ok thats my safety lecture over .. off to other posts now so you can talk about me behind my back as ive left the room .

:hand: :grin:

J

Demort said:

Good point Demort, as a professional engineer I always assume that people will follow reasonable Health and Safety and use appropriate PPE.

On the other hand those stupid enough not to will eventually remove their faulty DNA from the available gene-pool and the result will be a much nicer and less stupid world to live in :grin:

kurlykris said:
On the other hand those stupid enough not to will eventually remove their faulty DNA from the available gene-pool and the result will be a much nicer and less stupid world to live in :grin:

They've usually had 5 kids by then.

Fair point re safety and thanks for your concern over my progeny, but by the time it comes to the drying the wheels will already have been pressure hosed to clean them so there should be little residual dust, and a power hose is surely a lot more agressive at moving any brake dust than hot air. So I suppose you guys always use a face mask when power hosing your wheels?

I thought this all started when they stopped putting asbestos in brake pads making them harder and prone to corroding onto the disc when wet.

It used to be the case you could use several sets of pads before the disc was too worn but now I don't see brake pads getting changed in isolation anymore, always discs and pads.

As for surface corrosion, this is just cost reduction of the disc material with lower grade, softer and less corrosion resistant steel.

People often call them steel, but they are grey cast iron in the main.

Sintered metal pads certainly seem to wear the discs faster than they themselves wear. I've replaced six discs whilst all the respective pads had plenty of meat left on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back