Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Show us your tools !

You Sir have the exact same tool boxes that i used to own many years ago with the smaller one being my first box !

That must be .. hmm .. about 1988 i think :D

The base cab came a few years after that i belive .

Large collection of number plates there .. never had a speeding ticket i guess :floor:

I do feel that the hammer draw is the most important and says a lot about a chap :worship:

I wouldn't know where to start taking pictures of mine, they are located all around the garage, sheds and house, I have been collecting and upgrading them for 30 years. I know where everything is so they are easily located when required though.

I have taken one picture, my Porsche special tools, can you guess what does what?

39371589464_c0daed91b2_k.jpg

And what I stir my tea with,

28302214739_83ce25ede2_k.jpg

Never seen a spoon like that before .. nice .

Ok my guess for the tools ..

1/ A holding tool to allow you to undo/tighten nuts on rotateing items .. camshaft sprocket , could be used on some crank sprockets but might need a larger head .. you could even adapt it to hold pasm shocks when undoing the top nut and stop it spinning and damageing the wire .

2/ hmm .. its a first motion shaft so you could align a clutch with it but there must be another use or i would have thought you would cut it down to size .

3/ For installing piston gudgeon pins and clips .. not sure what the blades would be used for though .. not cutting as they look un damaged .

Demort said:
Large collection of number plates there .. never had a speeding ticket i guess :floor:

Only 1 :grin:

Had 3 bans though :sad:

:thumb:

Demort said:
1/ A holding tool to allow you to undo/tighten nuts on rotateing items .. camshaft sprocket , could be used on some crank sprockets but might need a larger head .. you could even adapt it to hold pasm shocks when undoing the top nut and stop it spinning and damageing the wire .

Correct use, to hold the balance shafts on a 944 engine whilst you undo the centre bolt.

Demort said:
2/ hmm .. its a first motion shaft so you could align a clutch with it but there must be another use or i would have thought you would cut it down to size .

Yep, clutch alignement, just haven't cut it down as it's a good garage ornament, a £900 part :x Second use could be to bludgeon someone.

Demort said:
3/ For installing piston gudgeon pins and clips .. not sure what the blades would be used for though .. not cutting as they look un damaged .

:thumb: the lengthened hacksaw blade is to hold the conrod straight while you line the piston up as they annoyingly move just as you think you have lined it up, goes under the insertion tool through the hole in the block.

My hammer drawer., my other hammer drawer and the odd screwdriver.

Attachments

• dsc_0016_879.jpg
    dsc_0016_879.jpg
    712.8 KB · Views: 5,335
  • dsc_0014_222.jpg
    dsc_0014_222.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 5,335
  • dsc_0013_166.jpg
    dsc_0013_166.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 5,335
Demort said:
A question .. whats the pliers first picture top right for .. the silver ones , looks like some sort of spring compressor ?

I restored a couple of S2 1960s Lotus Elans about 15 years ago. Most electrical connections were "bullets" and these are "bullet" pliers to secure the connection.
FHeBkNi.jpg

The other silver pliers are a brake spring compressor - image from Google as it is cold in the workshop.

siMEkDl.jpg

Demort said:
Also second picture bottom left .. the red thing ?

This a stop for my Incra router table - Mega bit of kit for woodworking.

Iqgfz3u.jpg

Demort said:
are set out a lot better than mine .!

s8Cx0NK.jpg

I went into the workshop today and arranged them for the photo - this photo is more representative of their natural state.

3PTFlrq.jpg

@ Gottans Ive only got a Couple of the red handled SP screwdirvers left but a very good set indeed .. always usefull to be able to use a spanner on a screwdirver .

Every one seems to have a dolly set except me :eek:

Kat1 Thanks for that .. i remember Jags having a similar electrical setup .. been a while since i worked on one of those though .

Never would have guessed at the jig tool :)

911tom said:
I'm not at home to take photos of my car tools but here is my electrician set up in the van. It need a clear up as I am not using the space as I intended. Being a small van it has always been hard to keep order to it. Over the last 6 moths I have been adapting and building my storage system to make use of the space.

40037723971_036411cfab_h.jpg

Power tool drawer;

40037724711_22ad470bad_h.jpg

And if I need to get something from toward the front of the van the whole bed slides out on runners;

40037725421_be1dabbe95_h.jpg

I am almost embarrassed to say I do not know where my multimeter is! I have a megger multifunctional tester that does all the tests I need for my job. In my tool back I have a fluke T500 which test voltage, AC current via the clamp and has a bell tester.

Perhaps a slightly larger van sir...... :?:

Re the Flukes, I've recently ordered one for official work use, came in at just over £1k for an I.S. version. Glad I wasn't paying. :eek:

Demort,

The red ones are decent screwdrivers, they must be 25 years old and have been used but not abused (too much), plenty of cheap ones to abuse.

A photo of my trusty Fluke 77 which also 25 or so years old, when these things start reading intermittantly it probably just needs resoldering of the pcb contacts.

Attachments

• dsc_0017_125.jpg
    dsc_0017_125.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 5,188
Nice to see some brass knockers come up in the thread :grin:

@ Gottans ..

Are the screwdrivers really that old :eek: ... that would explain why i only have a couple of them left then !

Fluke meters are pretty dam good .. mines just very old and already had the lcd replaced twice , lead pins also need replacing so im retireing it to a quiet corner of my tool box :D

I did £300 on a new colour LCD snap-on meter the other week with a 30 amp shunt coming for it .. getting tired of buying fuses when ever an alarm trips :pc:

New tool day.

I've got a couple of torque wrenches already but I've never been able to set them lower than around 19Nm and had to sort of guess lower torque settings by winding the wrench back a set amount of numbers from 19 to get close to what I want. This new one does lower numbers 5 to 25Nm and also has a degree gauge on the head which will come in very handy.
It's Teng, one of my favourite tool brands, it looks good too.

JrxtWLD.jpg

infrasilver said:
New tool day.

I've got a couple of torque wrenches already but I've never been able to set them lower than around 19Nm and had to sort of guess lower torque settings by winding the wrench back a set amount of numbers from 19 to get close to what I want. This new one does lower numbers 5 to 25Nm and also has a degree gauge on the head which will come in very handy.
It's Teng, one of my favourite tool brands, it looks good too.

JrxtWLD.jpg

I have bought the same Teng torque wrench (and its bigger brother) - have been really impressed for the money!

Show us your tools?

Crikey, you lot seem very organised. As a total numpty with anything vaguely technical I find either of these two sort most problems!

Attachments

• img_1123_203.jpg
    img_1123_203.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 2,835

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back