Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to the GT3 club...

I hear the same about the Cup 2's. GT3 is for drier days and track days so if it's really wet and need to get a fix I would just take the turbo instead.

Best get ordering!!

Turbojim997 said:
Slippydiff said:
Agree on Michelins for a road car.
Cup cables ? Probably unnecessary, stick with standard items (fit new if in any doubt) and at 100k miles there will be. Go Gen 2 997 GT3 RS shifter or if you want the best, fit the Manthey unit, but it's not cheap.

Geo, I'd go standard but increase the front and rear cambers a tad, just be aware with some decent tyres on, it'll be lot more pointy than your Turbo (at least if your Turbo is stock). Just as important as geo is the ride heights/front to rear rake.
IIRC the car had new/refurbed dampers and springs fitted by JZM ? if so the ride heights shouldn't be too far out (the rear springs sag with age, and all the springs corrode).

Cheers for the heads up, seems to be a few options on the shifter. My turbo has a factory fit SSK and is nice and smooth unless it's really cold. Will do some more reading.

My turbo is on Ohlins and I run it with a bit more rake than normal, soft is front and slightly stiffer rear which has dialled out most of the understeer. It's a lot pointier than it was but still nothing compared to the Gt3. On the test drive I almost questioned whether everything was ok but a good friend has a 996 RS and said it's a trait of the car so guess it's just something new to adapt to. Good excuse to start racking up the miles!

Tyres is a tricky one as looking online the only options as PS2 or Cup2's. I don't rate the PS2 so guess cups it if. Annoying the new PS4 are not available for the rear as I run the Ps4S on the turbo and they are brilliant.

Anyway keep the advice coming like to consider all the options

When I drove the car it was very "squirrely", I said to Greig immediately that the Pirellis were ruining it. He smiled and said, you know about Pirellis then ?

I do, I had the unfortunate experience of them on two Mk1 GT3's, talk about hopeless.
Get the Cup 2's on and set the geo up to something that works for you, if road use only, don't go too mad on camber or indeed run anything silly like toe out on the front.

I have to politely disagree with your 996 GT3 RS owning friend (they're a very different animal) a Mk1 GT3 with fresh/healthy dampers and springs, good bushes throughout, decent, new, correctly inflated tyres and sensible (road biased) geo is a lovely road car and delight to drive with absolutely minimal tramlining or as some would have you believe, bumpsteer.

If it's otherwise, there's something amiss, but your car felt like it was primarily the Pirellis and the geo set up.

I had to laugh at the nonsense Evo spouted about the car. As I've said above, they're wonderful to drive on the road and all the nonsense about suffering from understeer/oversteer was utter cobblers.

They should try my old car (it's the black Manthey Mk 1 at 911V) it drives beautifully and is stock (suspension wise) apart from Manthey KW's.
It previously ran a set of very expensive 3 way adjustable, remote canister Ohlins, but I don't need to tell you how good the Swedish gold stuff is !!!

Slippydiff said:
Turbojim997 said:
Slippydiff said:
Agree on Michelins for a road car.
Cup cables ? Probably unnecessary, stick with standard items (fit new if in any doubt) and at 100k miles there will be. Go Gen 2 997 GT3 RS shifter or if you want the best, fit the Manthey unit, but it's not cheap.

Geo, I'd go standard but increase the front and rear cambers a tad, just be aware with some decent tyres on, it'll be lot more pointy than your Turbo (at least if your Turbo is stock). Just as important as geo is the ride heights/front to rear rake.
IIRC the car had new/refurbed dampers and springs fitted by JZM ? if so the ride heights shouldn't be too far out (the rear springs sag with age, and all the springs corrode).

Cheers for the heads up, seems to be a few options on the shifter. My turbo has a factory fit SSK and is nice and smooth unless it's really cold. Will do some more reading.

My turbo is on Ohlins and I run it with a bit more rake than normal, soft is front and slightly stiffer rear which has dialled out most of the understeer. It's a lot pointier than it was but still nothing compared to the Gt3. On the test drive I almost questioned whether everything was ok but a good friend has a 996 RS and said it's a trait of the car so guess it's just something new to adapt to. Good excuse to start racking up the miles!

Tyres is a tricky one as looking online the only options as PS2 or Cup2's. I don't rate the PS2 so guess cups it if. Annoying the new PS4 are not available for the rear as I run the Ps4S on the turbo and they are brilliant.

Anyway keep the advice coming like to consider all the options

When I drove the car it was very "squirrely", I said to Greig immediately that the Pirellis were ruining it. He smiled and said, you know about Pirellis then ?

I do, I had the unfortunate experience of them on two Mk1 GT3's, talk about hopeless.
Get the Cup 2's on and set the geo up to something that works for you, if road use only, don't go too mad on camber or indeed run anything silly like toe out on the front.

I have to politely disagree with your 996 GT3 RS owning friend (they're a very different animal) a Mk1 GT3 with fresh/healthy dampers and springs, good bushes throughout, decent, new, correctly inflated tyres and sensible (road biased) geo is a lovely road car and delight to drive with absolutely minimal tramlining or as some would have you believe, bumpsteer.

If it's otherwise, there's something amiss, but your car felt like it was primarily the Pirellis and the geo set up.

I had to laugh at the nonsense Evo spouted about the car. As I've said above, they're wonderful to drive on the road and all the nonsense about suffering from understeer/oversteer was utter cobblers.

They should try my old car (it's the black Manthey Mk 1 at 911V) it drives beautifully and is stock (suspension wise) apart from Manthey KW's.
It previously ran a set of very expensive 3 way adjustable, remote canister Ohlins, but I don't need to tell you how good the Swedish gold stuff is !!!

Ahh to defend my friends honour his cars are all set up predominately for track use rather than Road. I want something more in the middle for sure. Be good to ditch the Pirelli's might even get RPM to switch them out before I collect and re-align the geo to suit 🤔

I haven't actually read the EVO article as I don't actually like the magazine very much but the photos are lovely and that all I care about until I get it home and get some of my own 😂

Would love to put a set of Ohlins on the car but as everything is in tip top order at the min it just seems a wedge of money that could be spent better on track days and tuition (petrol and tyres too). Maybe in a few years when bits need replacing it will be time to get some Swedish on the chassis.

I'll scan the Evo article and post it in the next couple of days :thumb:

Slippydiff said:
I'll scan the Evo article and post it in the next couple of days :thumb:

Bob on!! :thumb:

Here you go :

t4mo1F6.jpg

H1ZaHU5.jpg

pFlkrW5.jpg

nbJcwCM.jpg

amx4IAs.jpg

BQoe00x.jpg

GpJerD1.jpg

Lots of complete nonsense in there. I used to think John Barker was good (I think he was) but this is an extremely poor effort by his usual standards :x

Right click and "Open image in new tab" for full res versions of the pages :thumb:

Turbojim997 said:
Evening Chaps,

Should be picking up a 996 mk1 GT3 this week for track duties, couldn't quite stretch to a club sport sadly but does have tequipment cage fitted from new (according to receipts) also has GT2 front brakes and Alcon discs (fitted by OPC from Early life). I have my own seat to go in from my turbo, would loving original units but too much for me when I already have a comfy bucket, to go in.

Masses of receipts for work done over the years so fingers crossed minimal issues should arise.

Just thought I would check in and also is there any recommendations/must haves for the mk1's other than regular fluid changes and lots of tyres :thumbs:

She will never be a garage queen and can't wait to get first track day book!

Cracking purchase. Enjoy in rude health!

Slippydiff said:
Right click and "Open image in new tab" for full res versions of the pages :thumb:

Ahh cheers for the article. Lovely photos not sure on the content :floor:

Well the car is home. Not a very exciting drive back due to traffic and general route but what a fantastic little car.
Don't get me wrong I love driving the turbo and take it whenever I can but the little 996 feels soooooo good to drive.

Really basic and raw, got A/C and possible the most basic stereo since my 205 but that makes it all the better.

How more people haven't picked up on what great drivers cars these are is beyond me. Makes the 997 felt very refined.

Will get some photos up when I work out how to to do it without photobucket. But check my Instagram in the mean time. Jamessamuel4

Lots of miles coming up!!!

Nice one Jim, it must be fantastic fun, enjoy :thumb:

You'll love it. :thumb:

Looks great, when's the first mod happening?! I'm thinking it'll be tyres.

Turbojim997 said:
I hear the same about the Cup 2's. GT3 is for drier days and track days so if it's really wet and need to get a fix I would just take the turbo instead.

Best get ordering!!
I've got Cup 2s on my 997.1 Gt3, my experiences with them this winter are pretty much as MJA911 has found them. They're not too bad in cold and wet conditions, although I'd not be so sure of them in standing water. others may know different.

I had a turbo before. Turbo to GT3 seems a pretty tried and tested spiral into addiction! I do wish I had the means to run both - nice to see someone is able. Too many people wrongly assume the GT3 is the pinnacle when, in fact, IMHO there's still stuff the turbos do way better.

Diggermeister said:
Turbojim997 said:

Best get ordering!!
I've got Cup 2s on my 997.1 Gt3, my experiences with them this winter are pretty much as MJA911 has found them. They're not too bad in cold and wet conditions, although I'd not be so sure of them in standing water. others may know different.

I had a turbo before. Turbo to GT3 seems a pretty tried and tested spiral into addiction! I do wish I had the means to run both - nice to see someone is able. Too many people wrongly assume the GT3 is the pinnacle when, in fact, IMHO there's still stuff the turbos do way better.

I agree the both serve different purposes for me and, for a period of time at least, I am able to have both at my disposal.

Cups will be ordered today and fitted next week and need to sort the clunky shift. It had a factory short shift fitted at the OPC years ago but price v function think it's going down the route of 997 RS shifter and either cup or numeric cables.

Will keep you all posted

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back