Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

interesting 993 road test

Palladium

hi, i found this interesting, especially at 7.35, when he tells us how clean the cars emissions are, is that clean by yesterdays standards, or todays?

I think American 993 was indeed 'cleaner" than the European 993 and consequently had less bhp and it also had those terrible rubber nipples on the bumpers ........

thanks, i wonder how it would fare in todays requirements in this country if it was a modern car, you always hear people say air cooling ended because it was too tough to pass the modern standard, i hear the opposite where people say that because of the engine heat, they actually burnt very clean,

he seems well pleased with that car, i would be aswell :thumb:

The SAI sytem was a joke and is a constant problem for California cars, so in fact they aren't that clean, but at least they aren't diesels. Still a joy to own and drive. I owe my mate Adam a lot for persuading me to buy it 15 yrs. ago, best thing I ever did.

Well, my 993 won't qualify for London's proposed ultra low emission zone. This will extend to the north & south Circular so its a pretty wide area. £10 per day to drive a polluting car inside that area.

So what you say, I never drive near London. I bet though that other cities like Oxford try to adopt a similar approach.

I could e wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 993 was a world car. Same emission spec world wide. So a US car, emissions wise would be the same as a UK one.

If modern cars were tested (and rated) in real world conditions, I'm also pretty sure I've read, they arn't actually that much cleaner than our dear old 993s. And don't get me started with the introduction of the CAT and it's failings :)

wozy said:
I could e wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 993 was a world car. Same emission spec world wide. So a US car, emissions wise would be the same as a UK one.

If modern cars were tested (and rated) in real world conditions, I'm also pretty sure I've read, they arn't actually that much cleaner than our dear old 993s. And don't get me started with the introduction of the CAT and it's failings :)

so air cooling was dropped for other reasons then?

I think Porsche was finding it harder to get the air cooled engine to meet various targets. In addition to emissions:

- noise (no water jacket to muffle sound)
- headline power output (twin plugs make it difficult to move to 4 valves per cylinder)
- power/ torque curve (no variable camshaft timing)
- fuel economy

Well, I'm still pissed off that my 993 isn't going to be welcome to visit friends and my birthplace inside London's north/south Circular, without paying the ULEZ daily charge.

I live in London just outside the new ultra emissions zone but if I still had my 993 it would have been a mega annoyance as I believe it will 24/7 so I am not sorry that my old girl has been sold, I am getting sorely tried with all this shoite:-(

Palladium said:
wozy said:

so air cooling was dropped for other reasons then?

I'm also a biker. I well remember an emissions test of a bike with a CAT installed and tested again without one. Bikes like lots of cars have a dip in power at certain revs ...... on a bike I think it was 5K, so that it was capable of meeting noise and emissions regs. When they removed the CAT, it made a whole load more power and across the rev range, a lot less bad pollutants and better on fuel consumption. Go figure .

Hence why non CAT 993s still easily pass the MOT on emissions..... they are clean engines. It was noise mostly that killed them .

as i thought really, but i wont start,

but surely the noise is nothing like the exhaust noise of a racing bike, or the noise when someone floors the mustang v8, it doesn't add up to me,

my sc is noisy compared to my van, but quiet compared to a ducati.

i very much echo what mr madaala says, so tired of it all, and all for what?

Palladium said:
as i thought really, but i wont start,

but surely the noise is nothing like the exhaust noise of a racing bike, or the noise when someone floors the mustang v8, it doesn't add up to me,

my sc is noisy compared to my van, but quiet compared to a ducati.

i very much echo what mr madaala says, so tired of it all, and all for what?

I should have added the latter bike test was with a non CE approved pipe. I've always wondered how a duke in standard form passed regs, but hey a duke with Termis on used to make the floor of my dear old LR Defenders floor shake. :D

madalaa said:
I live in London just outside the new ultra emissions zone but if I still had my 993 it would have been a mega annoyance as I believe it will 24/7 so I am not sorry that my old girl has been sold, I am getting sorely tried with all this shoite:-(

Sadiq Khan is a big pile of 5hite. He is worse than useless and a c unt.

No way I will give up my 993 because of him though (also in London just outside the current zone).

My thoughts about that slimey piece of shoite Sadie Khan are certainly not printable ☹️ 🤜

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back