Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which is louder/sounds better?

Does anyone have any experience with....

Option A - De-Cat
Option B - Muffler Bypass

I was thinking of getting sports cats but they are twice the price of either of those options so wondering if anyone has experience with either and could either recommend one over the other?

PS I currently have the PSE but its not loud enough for my boy racer roots

I'd have thought that a decat 997 would sound pretty badass (at the very least...), but the way to go would depends on the rest of your set up.

If sports cats are too expensive, could you not consider cross pipes to start with?

You seem to have a 997.1 from your other threads mentioning the exhaust. You also say on those you don't fancy remap/decat.

I think the silencer removal option would be hideously loud, but you might love it. You have no 'middle' or third silencer on the 997.1. Maybe replacing the silencers with third party ones might be the best compromise.

If you already have PSE and want more noise, then I suggest 200cel cats, preferably big bore ones. Won't fail an mot or mess with the map.

depends what sound your after de cat will fail mots and throw cels , muffler delete wouldnt do either .

muffler delete is very loud and causes cabin drone but if thats what your after its the better of the two.

Personally I would be putting a topgear 200cell big bore x pipe on it and retain the PSE option then if you need more after that fit valved sports boxes .

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-911-997-carrera-200-cell-sports-cats-2-5-63mm?search=porsche 997

I am assuming you have already disconected the PSE or fitted the carnewal override kit so it isnt Rev controlled .
and fitted a BMC airfilter and induction hose with res cap.

this vid is big bore 200 cell cats and valved sports boxes and is on a forum members car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=26fjqA6eUt8

if you do go topgear call HO speak with alex sales director tell him your a forum member and ask for the discount usually its around 10%

:thumb: :thumb:

I've disconnected the PSE thingimejig so yeah it isn't rev controlled anymore.

I haven't done anything with the air filter, although I was looking at both those and the Eurocup GT one on eBay but wasn't sure how that would sound? I've only ever messed around with induction kits years ago so I guess I didn't want it to end up sounding like a 1.2 Corsa with a K&N on it! :grin:

The sound I'm after is essentially the same as I have now but with more volume AND hopefully some pops and bangs!

The 200 cell cats probably would be the sensible choice but at twice the price of a de-cat I'm struggling to see the value in it?
When MOT time comes round I could just swap them back out for the cats.

I've gone decat with full Kline system. Sounds great- no difference on a neutral throttle but a glorious howl on boost.... Perfect!

todayimdriving said:
I've disconnected the PSE thingimejig so yeah it isn't rev controlled anymore.

I haven't done anything with the air filter, although I was looking at both those and the Eurocup GT one on eBay but wasn't sure how that would sound? I've only ever messed around with induction kits years ago so I guess I didn't want it to end up sounding like a 1.2 Corsa with a K&N on it! :grin:

The sound I'm after is essentially the same as I have now but with more volume AND hopefully some pops and bangs!

The 200 cell cats probably would be the sensible choice but at twice the price of a de-cat I'm struggling to see the value in it?
When MOT time comes round I could just swap them back out for the cats.

If you happy to play around why dont you drop your back boxes off and see how it sounds that will tell you if muffler delete is right for you without spending any money that way you have you answer or you can forget muffler delete an an option narrowing things down a bit :thumb: :thumb:

I have the h&s rear muffler bypass with PSE, sounds only a bit louder with pse off, makes proper noise with it on

Tis a gen 2 though

If you happy to play around why don't you drop your back boxes off and see how it sounds that will tell you if muffler delete is right for you without spending any money that way you have you answer or you can forget muffler delete an an option narrowing things down a bit :thumb: :thumb:[/quote]

That isn't a bad idea actually :D When we finally get a sunny day which isn't -5 outside then I might get my spanners out and set to work![/quote]

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back