Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

how do you stop discs from corroding?

I was once told to stop discs corroding or even squealing when you brake.. to spray WD40. That's when I was in my apprentice days at BMW..

I can assure you that don't work :thumb:

J

Just normal moisture in the air will corrode brake discs. I'd be more concerned about taking the car to a 'car wash' than brake disc corrosion, I've watched many of them using gritty mitts/dirty cloths etc.

There's another option, but it will cost you around £10K. :D

Attachments

• pccb_771.jpg
    pccb_771.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,799
-- 997 -- said:
I was once told to stop discs corroding or even squealing when you brake.. to spray WD40. That's when I was in my apprentice days at BMW..

I can assure you that don't work :thumb:

J

Is there something which chases water away, like WD40, but evaporates without leaving an oily residue which is obviously not ideal for brakes...?

Having had the same problem multiplied by serious OCD the only 'cure' is drive till COMPLETELY dry, as others have said hbrake off, 100% then (in heated garage) no issues. Any moisture they seize like f U.K.

I'm sure my neighbours wonder about me and all the car washing, using that in public would confirm all their thoughts. Not quite up there with vacuuming the block paved drive that I did see a neighbour doing but heading the same way.

wasz said:
Drive the thing then, like you stole it - get some heat in the brakes then put it away dirty again.
This!

What are you guys like!

I bet you don't treat your wives this well! :floor:

Worrying about F...ing discs! LOL :floor:

Unfortunately Rusting on the brake discs is a Porsche thing, apparently :sad:

When I changed the disks and pads on my Boxster, I opted for Borg and beck discs to attempt to lessen this, the Borg and Beck discs are completely coated in " BecTec " anti corrosive paint, even through the vents, this is removed from the friction surfaces once you apply the brakes when driving. Obviously this does not stop the friction surfaces from surface rusting after washing the car or being parked up in wet or damp conditions.
Almost a year in and the discs still look brand new, no rust whatsoever :thumb:

One thing that 99.99999% of drivers don`t do is clear out the cross drilling holes through the friction surfaces, which get full of dirt, gunk, brake dust and obviously hold water when parked up . Blowing them out, or poking through with a drill bit with the wheels off every few months will certainly help :grin:

angry said:
What are you guys like!

I bet you don't treat your wives this well! :floor:

I'll have you know I wash my wife once a week just like my car......although I must admit, she doesn't get the two bucket method. :grin:

kurlykris said:
One thing that 99.99999% of drivers don`t do is clear out the cross drilling holes through the friction surfaces, which get full of dirt, gunk, brake dust and obviously hold water when parked up . Blowing them out, or poking through with a drill bit with the wheels off every few months will certainly help :grin:

Also worth noting that by not cleaning these holes out, rust builds up and starts ripping away at the pad material to cause an uneven surface, which them mirrors itself back onto the disc, which is why you see a rippled effect on the disc overtime (if you don't clean the holes), ultimately wearing your discs out quicker.

its the handbrake sticking, i have had cars and vans do that in the past, happens in the winter if you leave the car for a week or two, no big deal really, just leave the handbrake off and in gear, stick bricks round the rear wheels if on a gradient, and stop worrying.

kurlykris said:
Unfortunately Rusting on the brake discs is a Porsche thing, apparently :sad:

When I changed the disks and pads on my Boxster, I opted for Borg and beck discs to attempt to lessen this, the Borg and Beck discs are completely coated in " BecTec " anti corrosive paint, even through the vents, this is removed from the friction surfaces once you apply the brakes when driving. Obviously this does not stop the friction surfaces from surface rusting after washing the car or being parked up in wet or damp conditions.
Almost a year in and the discs still look brand new, no rust whatsoever :thumb:

I like the sound of these, anyone else use these??

Don't even consider putting anything on the braking surface, the way to keep them clean and shiny is to use them and there is really no alternative.

For the disk hubs, there are plenty of high temperature paint options if you want.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back