Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 3.4 DIY Clutch & Fly etc turns into mini restoration

Still beavering away Wasz. Good progress.

Great minds think alike.

I almost left my old one in and added a power flex one, but I figured why prop up an old worn one with something else when I can buy a new standard one.
It has just been fitted this week for my box finally going back in.

One question -
Is that tensioner on the right ok?
It looks like it isn't fully extended. I'm only asking as when my indy pulled mine out he found this (one on the right) -

Spring must have snapped inside or something as it's not extended fully.
That's the replacement one on the left.

Apparently the new ones from Porsche have been revised and only work with the revised ramps/pads which you can only access during a rebuild. Luckily for me my indy had a good used one in his spares so he's stuck that in.

Anyway, I could be totally wrong. I'm not sure if they are different lengths anyway, but just thought I'd mention it before you put it all back together.

Also for the record, my car didn't have much in the way of rattles or anything. It did rattle for a split second on a cold start, if it had sat a few weeks but loads of cars do that. It ran perfectly with no noises other than that though. Glad my indy found it anyway.

Thanks marky Calling demort to the forum!!!! :D

That "shorter" one is the primary chain tensioner (goes in horizontally).

Any info on testing this before I put it back gratefully received. As far as i know there is no spring inside these originals, the later revision added a spring, there were some that used a different chain and pad type too, this post kinda explains it https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/41236-updated-chain-tensioner/?do=findComment&comment=219308 . Cefalu on that thread notes the primary tensioner is short.

It may not be extended as far as the other because a) its different, or b) in that position it doesn't get extended so far and theres no oil pressure on the bench pushing it out? I will try manually pulling it out....

They originally have different part numbers so will be different.
primary 99610518054
other one 99610517958

I do have a very brief clatter on startup....they all do that as far as I found looking at cars, the renntech post indicates a 99610518057 number part eliminates that with some kind of spring.

Mornin, Wasz,

Could well be A) It's meant to be like that as it's different.

I just spotted this pic for a Boxster and the text says all 3 are different.
So yours is probably the shorter one in the pic. Mine was one of the two bigger ones but looked like a short one as it wasn't working properly.

If they all felt spring loaded as you undone them they are probably fine. My faulty one had no resistance as my Indy removed it so he was suspicious of it before he even had it out of the block. :thumb:

Already answered :D

The tensioners have 1 or 2 rings on them .. the head has a matching ring so you can see which one goes where .

That type of tensioner and theres a small cotter pin that stops it extending to far so if its not reaching that there might be a problem .

All three tensioners are different .. hence its pretty bad if you mix them up .

There is a modified type of tensioner but im pretty sure theres other mods needed to actually fit it .

I remember this from a while back when i was replaceing one and this new type turned up .. parts guy told me it was the correct one .. i refused to fit it as it was obviously different .. he reordered the original one and that was the same as what came out so i was happy to fit it .

In awe of the OP. I struggle knowing one of the spanner to the other but love threads like this. Things start making sense....

Keep up the good work

INWB said:
In awe of the OP. I struggle knowing one of the spanner to the other but love threads like this. Things start making sense....

Keep up the good work

Too kind, I firmly believe the best way to learn is to have a go. My dad was an engineer and had me fixing cars, but I chose desk based work.

Working on my car is my hands on fix. It might take me a lot longer than a mechanic (especially as I'm rarely doing more than 4 hours a week on it...), but half the fun for me is doing it myself. And buying /making tools.

i like to post about is as I have got so much value from others doing similar jobs over the years, unfortunately this thread does jump around jobs as I do them / get parts / tools / time.

Marky911 said:
So yours is probably the shorter one in the pic. Mine was one of the two bigger ones but looked like a short one as it wasn't working properly.

Demort said:
Already answered :D

Thanks both for the replies! yes I think the one on the right in my pic is the shorter one, it won't extend if I pull it. I did feel it springing out as I unwound it.

wasz said:
Thanks both for the replies! yes I think the one on the right in my pic is the shorter one, it won't extend if I pull it. I did feel it springing out as I unwound it.

That sounds right then. Sorry for the false alarm. :boxin:

Marky911 said:
wasz said:

That sounds right then. Sorry for the false alarm. :boxin:

No worries - thats the great thing about the forum. When doing work I post pics and people will catch things I don't know, like this could have been not right and you could have saved me loads of hassle down the line! Always query things and don't feel silly if not right!

Fantastic job OP and well done :thumb:

Picked this haul up from OPC:

1IgJGRr.jpg

Fitted new o ring seals and alloy washers to my tensioners ready to go back.

LHYFOru.jpg

I like putting new parts back on the car.

This is like being at work :thumb:

Guide tube is old though .. at least the packing is .. not uncommon .. i fitted a targa roof cable the other day .. new with a 2012 date stamp .

Btw .. what launguage is that ? the tensioner names ?

Demort said:
This is like being at work :thumb:

Guide tube is old though .. at least the packing is .. not uncommon .. i fitted a targa roof cable the other day .. new with a 2012 date stamp .

Btw .. what launguage is that ? the tensioner names ?

Weird, huh considering you should change it with a clutch you would think they would be faster moving.

That is English... "Vertical" and "Horiz" for horizontal.... its the orientation of the holes they came out of.... so i don't get confused!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back