Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MaxA's ''Mr White'' long termer

Max,

Has been a very interesting and instructive thread for the past 2 years. :thumb:

Loving the Christmas tree on the roof rack and the studded tyres. :)

Keep up the good work in 2018. :thumbs:

Much appreciated DRZ.

I'm really looking forward to 2018 as my rookie year as a member of the very vibrant Porsche Club Finland. I'm especially looking forward to driving some new tracks, and driving some old and familiar tracks in the 911.

I may need to invest in a second set of summer rims and MPS Cup2s, though. 8)

Max ditto the above :agree: :agree: I think I love your car!

Re your 991.1 steering wheel, differences over the 997.2? Any interior pics

Thanks. I can post some pictures of the interior and wheel, but it's all stock, even the later 'wheel. Not much to write home about. If it doesn't tend to make me go faster, I don't usually modify it... :dont know:

I went for a spin on the day before New Year's Eve. Not literally, thankfully, but nearly.
It looked like the sun was coming out, but what actually happened – once I got out into the countryside - was that the sun went in, the temps suddenly dropped, the wet roads froze, and all sorts of weather happened. It was raining buckets one minute, then hailing, with a bit of snow and sleet and all sorts by way of wintery showers, and it got very dark. I had a couple of moments, one simply accelerating out of a bend onto a straight, when I just did a massive fishtail (just keep your foot in and hang on, no biggie, but take it easy from now on), and the other was on the way home: I had a bit of a tankslapper as I crested a hill and arrived on ice and the car's heavy engine decided it wanted to arrive at the bottom of the hill first.
At that point, you're running on instinct, turning into the slide, screaming to yourself 'don't lift, don't lift, don't lift', at 90-95kmh on a narrow country road, studs screeching as they try to bite. It wasn't so bad (I got straightened out) but it was more than enough to really spike the heartrate. The car is a long way out of shape, and you're already reacting before the yellow it's-really-f-slippery-out-there-MaxA sign in the dash starts flashing: it feels like it's telling me what I already know ... and my heart is already pretty much jumping out of my chest.
As such I'm looking forward in 2018 to the actual snowy winter coming. It's more fun – and by that I mean 'less scary' - than driving on patchy ice in the total dark. Good luck out there, friends.
:drive:

I'm a bit of a tyre nerd, so I thought I'd post up a review from the US on the Nokian winters I'm running, the Hakkapeliitta ("HKPL") 7:

https://www.thoughtco.com/review-nokian-hakkapeliitta-seven-studded-3234355

I think the poor Americans must be a year or two behind the Nordic and continental Europe markets, as I am running the HKPL 8s on my Mini - which is basically a heavily studded version of the 7 - and the latest 9s were launched this winter, with two types of stud, one for corners, another for traction.

We're big fans in the family too. My brother is running HKPL9 SUVs on his Land Rover which must be unstoppable. And my wife is running HKPL R2s (the unstudded, or 'friction' winter tyre) on her GTI: these work really well, even with FWD and 335 lbft of torque, and they're much quieter than studded tyres for obvious reasons.

Some years ago, there was a bit of a shortage as the factory was ramping up the then new HKPL R, so my old Dad asked if he could run the WR-series tyres. The Nokian dealer refused to sell them, as he said, you don't need continental spec tyres in Finland "they won't work properlty". So it seems not all winter tyres are created equal...

And old shot from the Autodrome that I was playing with

Attachments

• img_20170902_v2_535.jpg
    img_20170902_v2_535.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 6,831
I went out for donuts yesterday.

Sorry, it's an old line.

But the car park was empty, there was a nice soft layer of snow on the ice. I just stuck it in first, turned off the PCM, added some steering and wound up some throttle. You can get the car to oversteer in ever decreasing circles until you're basically spinning on the spot. It's only a shame it was an impromptu moment, and my son didn't have the GoPro to hand. Next time!

We'd actually gone up to a fool around with an entry level rally car at a private test day, and watch some of the other guys do some shakedowns and winter testing. Just getting there was a lot of fun, as the track is deep in the countryside and you need to drive several km on the snow covered roads, some of which weren't ploughed yet just to get there.

It turns out the fronts spin up sending fountains of snow into the air... and the front rims fill with snow and throw out the wheel balance. I've only got one picture (it was -10c and I didn't have the phone out for long): you can just see the 997 in the background, behind the Estonian bus (that Evo sounded like a machine gun with the anti-lag) up by the cafe which serves the big flat Finnish sugary donuts.

Attachments

• 20180203_saukkola_531.jpg
    20180203_saukkola_531.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6,573
You should try the handbrake one click to turn off the fronts.

Magic919 said:
You should try the handbrake one click to turn off the fronts.

I've heard about that but it isn't required for winter donuts...

It was time for the local katsastus (inspection), or "Ministry of Transport" to you lot. I needed to get all 4 of my front driveshaft CV boots replaced, as two had come adrift which was a bit of a pain, and cost 462eur in labour and parts. Ouch.

Very excited. It finally warmed up enough (+1c) for me to go and do a mod. I fitted the new black and white bonnet badge. The old one had lost it's golden edge (when you looked very closely).

I cleaned the car: it's no longer white with brown stripes, it's white with brown spots. Obviously drove slower.

Attachments

• 20180323_142015_resized_226.jpg
    20180323_142015_resized_226.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 5,623
So I finally got the last piece of paper for the tax man: the pre-tax registration showing the actual date of first registration. Which was 27.02.2010. The car is now officially more than 8 years old and will be taxed accordingly. Taxman had thought fit to treat a MY 2010 car as first registered on 31.12.2010 for the purposes of the tax valuation. What a massive ballache. Can I write that? :x

On another note, technically it was 'spring', but if it was, I missed it, as it was -15c that morning.

So I still need to run the Nokians a little while longer...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back