Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2 Cars attempt same overtaking manoeuvre, whoops

This happened to me once. The freaky thing is I was in my 350z, came behind another 350z that was behind a slow car.

Waited a while when a suicide lane opened up, he wasn't going for it, do I did....the other 350z started pulling out as I got halfway along him.

Luckily it was a 3 lane "suicide" lane with nothing coming the other way so I had space.....

So how would one suggest safeguarding against unobservant drivers in this situation?

The return of Marty Wild said:
So how would one suggest safeguarding against unobservant drivers in this situation?

Clip their rear quarter first, sending them into the trees. Overtake at that point is yours for taking. Result.

I'm really surprised that this type of incident doesn't happen more often and when it does it's usually the driver that's late pulling out that gets the blame.

Most times that verdict is probably valid as they obviously haven't checked their mirror properly (if at all) and there's certainly no excuse for not indicating BUT there has to be an onus on the car that's already pulled out to be aware of what might happen.

Anyone that's done any autobahn driving - especially on two lane stretches - will be very aware of how alert you have to be and that's without the added complication of traffic coming the other way. :D

Touch wood, the only times I see this regularly in the UK is on motorway slip roads where the car at the back of the line merging on to the motorway always seem to assume that they have the right to jump straight into the outer lanes and blast pass the cars that were in front of them. :evil:

T8 said:
I'm really surprised that this type of incident doesn't happen more often and when it does it's usually the driver that's late pulling out that gets the blame.

Most times that verdict is probably valid as they obviously haven't checked their mirror properly (if at all) and there's certainly no excuse for not indicating BUT there has to be an onus on the car that's already pulled out to be aware of what might happen.

Further to this I've watched those 2 video examples again, several times, and have noted that in the first clip the BMW is actually driving very aggressively. Why would he of not thought that the other car would want to overtake the van? It had already pulled out to look and when the opportunity arose he went for it. If the BMW had simply followed him the incident would not have occurred.

In the second incident ......... I wonder how fast the overtaking car was going. :?: It doesn't excuse the lack of indicating by the slower car but the only innocent party in the shocking event was the van driver.

To be honest even if driving a powerful car if I come up behind say a lorry with a car behind I wait behind and if it is fairly obvious that the car in front is not going to overtake I wait until the road ahead is perfectly clear then slowly begin to overtake the car in front and then boot it, to approach two vehicles in front at speed and then attempt an overtake without expecting the car in front to do the same is asking for trouble.

I was once driving along an A road dual carriageway in my RX-8 at approx`70 mph I checked the mirror & observed a car way back in the distance but proceeded to overtake a car in front, dropped back into the nearside lane and seconds later a 911 Turbo came past like I wasn`t moving.

A young guy I worked with was driving the 911 it was his fathers who had died this young guy with his inheritance had spent a fortune on tuning it which was up to 500 bhp, at work the following day I asked him if he had seen me when he overtook and what speed was he doing his reply "I was clocking 185 mph I didn`t really see anything"

Its a good job I had spotted him and had overtaken quickly as his 911 was on me in seconds.

Del.

MIRROR.. SIGNAL.. MANOEUVRE :cop:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back