Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Garage Lift

I posted this on the 993 forum a while back, but thought it relevant to this discussion,

I bought my scissor lift from GEG, who are based on the Wirral, back in 2010. I would recommend them as good to deal with and very honourable and more importantly they are still with us.

Closer to home I note that PDM Garage Equipment based in Beccles, Suffolk also sell the same thing. (They appear to be the same company that 911tom linked to on eBay in his post)

It is interesting that they are still being sold at £1485 plus vat which is what I paid. (the Ebay advert includes the optional moving wheels that I did not need)

It is compatible with the wheel base of the 993 but you may need to use some thin blocks for the lower riding 993 in order to get the rubber blocks in between the car lift points and the ramp

It will need securing to the floor otherwise it will move as you try and drive on it.

I use it most of the time when working on the 993 - makes cleaning the inside easier - much better for "leathering off" after washing the car - it even brings the car up to a better height for the maturer gentleman to for instance replace the fan belts.

I also think it provides some protection against vermin ingress.

When not in use as a car lift it makes a good variable height work bench. I am currently using it as a "welding bench" to make gates and railings.

Only one problem in 7 years and that was a wire that fell off the control circuit which was easily fixed.

FBeMBRv.jpg

sZWMueu.jpg

Can you stop these lifts at any height?

My garage is a little lower and don't want the car going through the roof!! :what:

Daniel said:
Can you stop these lifts at any height?

Two ways:-

Take your finger off the lift button before it goes through the roof - I suspect you have already thought of that. It is not the most reliable protection for the garage ceiling.

Move the micro switch on the "floor channel" so the pump cuts out at the required height. Probably need to extend a couple of wires and drill a couple of small holes.

Nice car lifts

Are these things fully safe - i.e. no chance of them coming back down to ground if the power goes off or something like that

would hate to get caught in the scissor section !!!!

digby said:
Are these things fully safe

Mine has hydraulic check valves which means that in the event of a hose failure or similar it will not drop.

It needs power on to lower it.

If I am working under it I place a blocks of wood between the base of the free scissor feet and the front mounting pad to provide additional mechanical safety.

digby said:
Are these lifts "CE" certified

The following cut and pasted from Garage Equipment Group web site.

Scissor Lift Features

3 Tonne Electro Hydraulic Scissor Lift.
Dual acting safety system.
No air supply required.
Space saving design ideal for workshops with limited space.
Safety system with 2 hydraulic cylinders on each side and independent circuits.
Control panel can be mounted on either side of Scissor Lift for ease of operation.
Optional recess or surface mounted.
Low profile drive over height.
Single Phase power supply 220 volt with 380 volt option.
Full CE certification.
Highly durable powder coated finish.

digby said:
Nice car lifts

Are these things fully safe - i.e. no chance of them coming back down to ground if the power goes off or something like that

would hate to get caught in the scissor section !!!!

The one I posted above has metal mechanical stops, so if the hydraulics fail it'll fall onto a metallic edge and won't fall any more.

My lift also doubles as a variable height work bench - image shows it being used to assemble and weld up my new security fencing.

lZ3Iyl7.jpg

I also used it to build some planters!

jVgJww0.jpg

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back