Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GMUND Cars and current scary experience

Ghost said:
Anyone know the outcome of this story? Have been talking to Andrew about a car sale on SOR and he comes across as very straight forward.

Each to their own but I see this as madness! - One horror story is one to many.

There are truckloads of dealers out there that will do a SOR for you why take the risk!!

After a less than satisfactory SOR experiece with Gmund, I recommend you discuss doing business with RPM at Knaresbrough.

Cheers, Keith.

crash7 said:
Ghost said:
Anyone know the outcome of this story? Have been talking to Andrew about a car sale on SOR and he comes across as very straight forward.

There are truckloads of dealers out there that will do a SOR for you why take the risk!!

Started talking to them before this thread came to light, so wasn't aware of concerns.

All I can say is if someone had my car or 75k of my money , trust me they would not for very long, as the boys and I would be having a friendly chat with them. 8) :x 8)

Seems strange that owed that sort of money but no mention of going to face to face them, and just accepting a fob off on the phone, maybe over a couple of grand but not that sort of money , I would be down there pronto and leaving with car or dosh :grin: :thumb:

Ghost said:
crash7 said:
Ghost said:

Started talking to them before this thread came to light, so wasn't aware of concerns.

May be worth giving these chaps a call: http://www.car-iconics.com/

I know them personally, father and son business, both utter petrolheads and as sound as they come. Offer a brokerage service for those looking to sell.
:thumbs:

Phil 997 said:
All I can say is if someone had my car or 75k of my money , trust me they would not for very long, as the boys and I would be having a friendly chat with them. 8) :x 8)

Seems strange that owed that sort of money but no mention of going to face to face them, and just accepting a fob off on the phone, maybe over a couple of grand but not that sort of money , I would be down there pronto and leaving with car or dosh :grin: :thumb:

:agree: with a bit of gentle persuasion :cigar: :boxer: :hammer:

What is the legal position on buying a car in good faith on SOR when the money has not been passed to the seller by the dealer?

Effectively the car has been stolen, no?

Have walked away, having now heard more or less the same from various sources. Might have a chat with 911V.

Just goes to show the value of sharing experiences on an open forum, it's coming up to two years since I had my Yorkshire Classic Porsche nightmare!

Robertb said:
What is the legal position on buying a car in good faith on SOR when the money has not been passed to the seller by the dealer?

This is the trouble with SOR arrangements.

When the dealer sells, the end user can be exposed as the dealer does not have clear title at the point of sale. Same principle applies with car finance. The finance company owns the vehicle so if the vehicle is traded in as a part exchange but the dealer fails to settle the finance, when the car is sold it still belongs to the finance company and can be recovered. Difference is an HPI due diligence check will flag up a car on finance but not a car on SOR (unless it is manufacturer supplied to dealer in which case they mark it with an alert).

With regards to brokers, paperwork/contracts are key. A broker is effectively acting as a 'middleman' and assisting with the sale from the seller to the new owner, a percentage of the sale price or a fixed fee is factored within the broker's/seller's contract. They handle the transaction on behalf of the seller.

People have been caught wide open on this from legitimate dealers purchasing stock within the trade (from other traders) which hasn't been paid for to customers being able to display their cars on a dealers forecourt on SOR basis with no paperwork.

Have come across it loads of times even helped a customer who was being taken to court by a finance company for non payment of arrears when their car was displayed on an independent trader's forecourt and he had 'promised' to settle her finance..

Unless they are absolutely dependable I would steer well clear personally
:thumb:

breezer_boy said:
I bought a 996 Turbo S Cab back in April 2014 from Gmund. It was a stretch at the time but the car was right and at 17k miles it was a hoped investment. It was and due to an unexpected tax bill, I talked with Andrew in Oct 2016 regarding selling on my behalf for a commission. He proposed a sale or return deal that seemed reasonable and offered to collect the car within the same afternoon which I went with and then called back as I felt I need some time to think over and assure myself I was doing the correct thing. Andrew assured me that the truck was already en-route, but not to worry as they wouldn't sell the car without my consent and agreement on price. So it went (with 21k miles now on the clock) and I remained unsure, but as it was winter didn't think buyers would queuing at his door. After an offer that I declined and confirmed that no longer want to sell, he told me that the he had all but sold the car and it would be difficult to go back on the sale. 3 months later I can't get hold of him and his staff refuse to tell me anything. I have a solicitor involved and he has refrained from responding so far. I'm totally shocked as he was great and seemed so honourable. He dealt with any post sale queries in 2014 and has been welcoming and very helpful since then. Ive visited Gmund during a recent porsche club (North East) meet and really had no worries about his integrity. Now I'm dumbstruck and regretting letting the car on to the truck last Oct. It's now with my solicitors. Worried and shocked doesn't describe my current state. out of pocket now for the value of £75k and an unknown outcome. I have no idea if he's going bust, is in cash flow trouble or just un professional. The car has increased in value roughly £5k since he took it and I just want my car back. Anyone else had similar experience. Also welcome any advice on how to proceed in recovering the car..

This is a shocking situation.

Phil 997 said:

...a quick stop off in JD sports on the way (to buy a persuader) :shooter:

C4-STORM said:
Robertb said:

This is the trouble with SOR arrangements.

When the dealer sells, the end user can be exposed as the dealer does not have clear title at the point of sale. Same principle applies with car finance. The finance company owns the vehicle so if the vehicle is traded in as a part exchange but the dealer fails to settle the finance, when the car is sold it still belongs to the finance company and can be recovered. Difference is an HPI due diligence check will flag up a car on finance but not a car on SOR (unless it is manufacturer supplied to dealer in which case they mark it with an alert).

With regards to brokers, paperwork/contracts are key. A broker is effectively acting as a 'middleman' and assisting with the sale from the seller to the new owner, a percentage of the sale price or a fixed fee is factored within the broker's/seller's contract. They handle the transaction on behalf of the seller.

People have been caught wide open on this from legitimate dealers purchasing stock within the trade (from other traders) which hasn't been paid for to customers being able to display their cars on a dealers forecourt on SOR basis with no paperwork.

Have come across it loads of times even helped a customer who was being taken to court by a finance company for non payment of arrears when their car was displayed on an independent trader's forecourt and he had 'promised' to settle her finance..

Unless they are absolutely dependable I would steer well clear personally
:thumb:

My understanding, which came from a barrister after I'd been ripped off many years ago, is/ was.

When you give a car dealer a car on sale or return, Title passes to the dealer.

if he doesn't pay you, its not theft and you cannot 'repossess' the car from its new owner,
All you can do is sue him for the money as a unpaid debt.

I would caution anyone from giving a car to a dealer on sale or return, Your better off taking £2 0r £3000 less for it and knowing the money's in your bank.

And I have heard of cases where someones lost the car to the SOR dealer and they 're still paying off the finance on it

@Mark Pearce... That's quite scary... so, if a dealer goes bust with your car in SOR stock then you are royally screwed as it would presumably get sold off to pay creditors.

The OP was in Jan 2017 - over a year ago now.

Is it posisble that someone at 911uk-Towers could contact the OP and ask him how things have gone since then...?? Maybe you have his registered email address...??

I'd love him to post an update;
- Did he get this sorted out...??
- Did he get his money
- How long and how difficult was it...??
- God forbid, did he lose all his money on this...??
- Is he still tied up in legals...??

Whats the score - would be good for us all to know and update knowledge on a source of Porsches for sale...

Just my 2' worth

Osh

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back