Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

I haven't had it up on the ramp to get underneath and assess the rust fully yet, but from what I have seen so far and from getting my head underneath it looks pretty good.

I have just about finished off cleaning up around the scuttle area.

New cabin air filter is also in place.

I have modified the battery tray so that I can fit on an SBS30 lightweight battery. These are a gel battery which are fantastic at producing high cranking currents, don't mind being discharged, and hold the charge practically forever. I have had one on my Westfield for years and use one to power my watch winder in my safe. I got a job lot of them years ago and many are still going despite being 20 years old!!
I have made up some brackets for the tray and will make up a hold down strap. Full details later. The tray is being repainted along with the alloy brackets and the alarm bracket.

The tray was rubbed down with a wire brush, degreased, treated with Jenolite, then cleaned again and painted with grey primer. It will be finished with two coats of humbrol enamel.

I also popped the engine cover to check for any other 'guests' . No evidence of any extra passengers in there.
MC

infrasilver said:
Watching with interest, it is a sunroof model? I can't quite tell, great body shape for a RWD track focused car if it's a non-sunroof?

It is a sunroof model. But I plan to convert to non-sunroof when I get the paint done.

MC

Another MC thread that I`ve missed :pc:

Are you cornering the market on 996.1`s MC :worship:

kurlykris said:
Another MC thread that I`ve missed :pc:

Are you cornering the market on 996.1`s MC :worship:

Not really, I just have a terrible lack of self control.

MC

I decided to take the scuttle cover off to clean properly behind it, it would need to come off later for when the screen is changed anyway so no big deal.
Remove the screw each side under the small covers, along with the one in the centre. Take off the 13mm nuts under the covers which hold the wiper arms on, remove the arms. Undo the two screws behind where the battery sits, undo the electrical connectors for the heated washers and the water pipe for the washers. Then with the bonnet down wiggle it out of the way.

Whilst this is off I also removed the two diagonal supports to clean them up a bit, not that they are very bad, but this will also give me better access to the wiring loom which I will wrap in loom tape to make it look tidier.

I also had a problem with sticky knobs on my CDR22, this is a very common problem apparently. I pulled them off, cleaned the sticky off them with a combination of brake cleaner and IPA, then gave them a thick couple of coats of Plastidip. They look a whole lot better and are no longer sticky.

MC

With the scuttle cover off I have had a better look at the foam. There is definite evidence of damage to one corner of it, it is also unglued along this edge. I wonder if this is the source of my water leak?

From looking at it the heater feed and return pipes need to be disconnected to get access to remove and replace the foam. So I'll wait until the coolant is drained when the engine comes out for this.

Battery brackets are just about done. There is one each side of the battery which are held in place by a couple of rivnuts on each side in the tray. The aluminium channel which goes along the top will screw in to a rivnut in the battery tray at one end, and in to one of the standard holes at the other end. I need to sort out battery terminals for the battery and to drill the two holes in the aluminium channel but you get the idea. I might paint it blue when I get more body work done.

I drilled an extra drain hole in the tray as the large rivnut fills the original one when fitted.

I finished off cleaning up the alarm unit and tilt sensor for refitting.

Seriously cold in the garage this week so haven't done much.

MC

Great write up MC

Looking forward to watching the progress... :thumb:

Osh

Foam panel replacement ..

Clamp both pipes , remove , you will loose a little coolant but no big deal .

remove old foam panel and clean the area .

Now the good bit ..

new foam panel is on a sheet of non stick backing .. dont remove it ..

tear out a large hole in the center so that the panel butil / sticky bit still has the covering on it .. then feed it over the pipes and into place.

At that point tear and pull away the covering and stick it down .

instructions dont tell you this and attempting to fit it with out this cover will be grief !

Thanks very much for the tip, exactly the kind of thing that makes this forum so great. :thumb:

Today's job was to remove the centre console and CD holder. I will be going with a GT3 centre console delete, so the cd holder was coming out anyway. The lid on the centre console doesn't stay down, there is some damage to one part of it, I want to paint it body colour and also plan to retrim the covers, not to mention a change to the gear lever. So it all has to come out. Fortunately this is a pretty straightforward job.

Start by pulling the side covers off the cd holder. Pull them out at the back and they will then slide off the front clips. If you pull at the front you WILL break the tabs on the centre part. I know because I did this on the first one...

Pull out the cubby hole, cd holder, and small plastic infill triangle. Easiest way to remove the CD holder is to eject a couple of the trays and pull on those.

Next pull off the two carpet trim pieces behind the first trim panels. These just pull outwards. There are two screws on each side of the cd holder trim, remove these.

Pull up the gear gater and undo the bolt underneath it.

You can then remove the centre piece from the car. I had to undo some wires for the phone interface which was also fitted. This will all be removed.

To remove the main centre console, pull up on the ashtray lid to remove it, undo the clip for the light in there. Then undo the two screws underneath which hold the switch surround in place. Lift this up and remove the wires for the electric windows, noting which order the connectors are in.

There is another screw under hear which must also be removed.

Unclip the cover at the side of the handbrake, it goes outwards at the top to unclip and then lifts upwards. Mine already had one broken tab at the top.

Lift the lid to the compartment tray and remove the screw at the back of it.

The base then lifts up and there should be a screw underneath, this was missing on mine. Remove it.

Remove the gear lever, this is held on with a 5mm allen bolt.

There is a metal bracket at the front of the centre console held down with 4 nuts. Remove this as well otherwise the console won't move far enough to clear the bracket. This needs to be removed anyway for the GT3 centre console delete.

Then the console can lift out of the car.

There is clear wear around the gear linkage, not helped due to the plastic bushes used. Also further evidence of some dog hair around the place wherever there is room. I'm looking forward to giving the inside a really good clean.

This is a super easy job, start to finish in about 30 minutes including buggering around taking photos and walking between two garages for tools. I will probably wait until I pull the console out of my C2 in the near future to decide which one to paint, as this one has some damage to it. At least I can look at covering the panels though.

MC

Great stuff. Hardest bit is getting it over the handbrake. Are you fitting an ssk whilst in there?

I've got to do this too, as I have got a low mileage standard 997 shorter mechanism to go in. I will follow your guide!

997/987 mechanism is apparently halfway between standard and short shift.

I do have a £20 chinese SSK here too, but having tried in other cars I think I prefer the 997 shift.

My old one is a bit sloppy so needs swapped out.

alex yates said:
Great stuff. Hardest bit is getting it over the handbrake. Are you fitting an ssk whilst in there?

Yes I will be fitting an SSK, probably the 997 GT3 but not 100% sure yet. I have the Manthey quickshift in my Turbo which I really like, but I think that now the GT3 is a good option.

MC

Still rather frustrated that I can't get the car on the ramp yet to give it a good going over underneath, but I might start to remove the bumpers and lights anyway. In the mean time I have removed a couple of aircon pipes to gain better access to the wiring loom in the scuttle area so that I can wrap it up in loom tape. No real need for it, I just think it looks a lot neater.

The aircon had no gas at all in it, I expect that the condensers will be shot or it will be the joint at the back just in front of the near side rear wheel. Time will tell.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back