Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Debris in oil - can you identify?

coullstar said:
Found this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-for...lve-noise-fixed-my-findings-and-solution.html

Bloody annoyed that I've put the sump back and filled with oil and could have had those pots out in the sump to check.

I checked mine when my timing chain snapped as I had a few metal particles floating around the engine, I didn't take the chance that anything was left inside them so I replaced them both, you can't inspect them internally as they are sealed units, you can only tap out whats inside....hopefully.

Check them when you dump your oil in a few hundred miles.

So I've managed about 300miles since sump was cleaned out of all bits and had the magnetic sump plug.
I pulled plug and checked it tonight and there was no flakes as found before. It did have a film of fairly viscous grey paste like substance so I'm assuming very small metal particles.

I did add some of the Wynn's Tappet fluid which has seemed to help the tappet noise.

What's the norm for debris found on these magnetic plugs?

Going to run it for a few more hundred miles then drop sump and check it again.

The mag sump plug picks up every little particle and when I dump my oil every 6-10,000 miles I have around 0.5mm of metallic paste on it, of which you can't feel any grit and the paste is just really smooth, I get around the same amount each time.

Another 500miles down so I've dropped the oil and taken sump off again tonight.
Happy to report that I've found no more metal or brown plastic in the sump or oil.
I've got two new sump oil separators to fit just so everything is flushed out and I'll change the oil filter again just so that starting from a known point.
Checked plugs on cyl 4-5-6 and all were okay although 4 did seem to be running a tad leaner so I've swapped that into cyl 5 again to check. I think 4 is the one with the noisy tappet.

So appears to be fine, I'll just check it again in 1000miles I think.

Goodstuff!
That must be a weight off your mind. It wouldn't have been a great start with the car.

Thanks, yeah Im still not 100% convinced yet but happy enough its not away to grenade itself so I can get on and start doing some of the things Id planned.
Will replace the oil filter as well as a matter of course.

As its sitting arse up the bits Ive got to be fitted will go on so the 200cel cats and x-pipe first, then LTT and gearbox mount insert.

It is leaking from RMS or IMS seal but I need clutch done fairly soon so can get that all done.

Oh and hope the RS4 is still going well.

EGTE/RS4Russ :thumb:

Ah right, yeah passed its MOT yesterday. Still boosting away putting a smile on my face. Such an awesome car and starting to finally appreciate as well however bits are starting to get NLA now even things like subframe bushes.
That's the good thing about the 911, bits are still easy to get hold off. When I was in the local OPC getting my oil seperators I was speaking to the parts man and he said they were looking for bits for a 356 and getting them!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back