Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ohlins, KW or Bilstein coilover 996 turbo

Bilstein will overhaul the originals at reasonable cost apparently.

plynchy said:

Tried that, cant remember which but one end front/rear is not rebuildable though.

How do you know if your shocks are mullered? Can they be tested?

My 4S has done 112k, 2003 reg so I'd imagine they well past their best, but it feels OK and controlled, albeit a bit harsh and 'crashy' at the rear particularly over the ridges, potholes and general hatefulness that is an oxfordshire B road.

Rebuilt existing would be £480, Design 911 have new OE ones on special for £883.

Ohlins are £2960 :eek:

I have the Bilstien coilovers.

I have mixed feelings about them.
When I first put them on the car with the standard anti roll bars and set up by Precision, the car felt nicely sprung on the round, smoother over the bumps, but I felt a tad soft.
I wound the adjusters right up and it was better.
Then I took the car to the Nurburgring and defiantly felt that the suspension was to soft.
I spoke to Centre Gravity and they advised uprated anti roll bars as well.
After fitting these and having a proper set up at CG, I'm very very happy with how the car handles.
Its composed on bumpy british roads and awesome on the Nurburgring and trackdays.
I was a bit miffed that I needed the bigger ARBs.
After only about 10,000 miles a knocking sound appeared front rhs and CG said it was a "DU" bushing loose inside the shock.
Ive just had the front overhauled/repaired by Bilstien UK and indeed a DU bush was loose, but also one of the tops of the stanchions was bent, so I've had one of those replaced as well.
Im just in the process of fitting them back on the car....

Robertb said:
How do you know if your shocks are mullered? Can they be tested?

My 4S has done 112k, 2003 reg so I'd imagine they well past their best, but it feels OK and controlled, albeit a bit harsh and 'crashy' at the rear particularly over the ridges, potholes and general hatefulness that is an oxfordshire B road.

Mine had done 65,000 and when we took then off, they were shot.
You can push the stanchion down really easy and they feel graunchy.
I would say yours are defiantly shot and new ones will make the car feel like new again!
I think in hindsight the standard suspension is very good.
Id replace with standard, especially if you don't go on track (or often)

Cheers Angry, great advice... I never track so I'm sure the OE spec Bilsteins would be more than good enough for me, after all the 4S/Turbo had rave reviews at the time.

plynchy said:

Hi there, to the collective wisdom on the forum, is this a good, reasonably priced option?

My. At has just turned 48k and I find the handily a bit slack and have been looking at a refresh. Where would I find more info on this?

Peter

pmr01 said:
plynchy said:

Hi there, to the collective wisdom on the forum, is this a good, reasonably priced option?

My. At has just turned 48k and I find the handily a bit slack and have been looking at a refresh. Where would I find more info on this?

Peter

Sorry about the sheety predictive text; 'my car has turned 48k' and 'I find the handling a bit slack' :-(

As stated earlier, I tried this and one end was not serviceable/rebuildable.
I cant remember wether it was the fronts or rears.
I was dealing with David Masters at Bilstien Uk.

Personally I would buy new..

best place/price to buy Ohlins??? :)
cheers everyone for some good feedback on the subject :thumb:

@diverzeusy

did you end up taking the plunge?

I'm in a similar position in wanting to upgrade my suspension. Just nit sure if a 20mm drop will provide the aesthetic I am looking for...

Then again, I don't want to be crashing around all over the place either....hear the Ohlins are the perfect balance...

I've just bought Ohlins R&T coilovers for my 997.2 C2. Cheapest I could find was DC Performance, they cost me £2170 and they arrived inside one week.
I'll report back on fitting and performance in due course.

Counter Of Beans said:
I've just bought Ohlins R&T coilovers for my 997.2 C2. Cheapest I could find was DC Performance, they cost me £2170 and they arrived inside one week.
I'll report back on fitting and performance in due course.

That seems a very good price, they quote £2,450 on their website, did you call for a best price?

Nobody has mentioned Bilstein PSS10s, which are available for €1899 (£1666) from Carnewal, including shipping.

Air cooled guys used to swear by then, but understand they are older tech now, but big improvement over stock and at least £500-£1k cheaper than Ohlins.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back