Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Do's & Don'ts

As a follow on to the (very informative) link PZERO posted, it's clear to me that even if you don't 100% believe that pulling away in 2nd gear may lead to bore scoring there is a risk; so you'd be wise to consider mitigating this by pulling away in 1st.

Questions I have are:

- Is there a mechanical downside to pulling away in 1st continually?
- can the 996 be programmed to default to pulling away in 1st on all occasions, and if you want to pull away in a different gear you need to manually select it?

Fast Bug said:
4) Don't tell your wife how much things relly cost
5) If he finds out the real price, tell her your remember when a half decent 964 was £15k and show her the current prices for them.

C4-STORM said:
3) Do warm engine initially on a run prior to 'spirited' use (n/a at meets!) - bit of a no-brainer...

I try and start the car up a few minutes before I leave to put a bit of heat in to the engine for this very reason :mrgreen:

That's a loose/loose then as you still fail - refer to point 1) :grin:

As far as I can tell when it comes to meets, everyone eats bacon, talks about their divorce/imminent divorce/separation/ex-wife/blown-up engine and then upon departure jumps in their 'pride and joy' and thrashes the preverbials out of it up the road (scaring the living daylights out of normal road users in the process)...
:drive:

You say it like it's a bad thing :mrgreen:

Fast Bug said:
You say it like it's a bad thing :mrgreen:

:duh: :flag1: :duh: :flag1: :duh: :flag1:

C4-STORM said:
As far as I can tell, when it comes to meets, everyone eats bacon, talks about their divorce/imminent divorce/separation/ex-wife ...

Really? Is this a 996 thing then? Because my divorce was a long time ago now and I can barely remember the name of the offending article. :wack:

C4-STORM said:
As far as I can tell when it comes to meets, everyone eats bacon, talks about their divorce/imminent divorce/separation/ex-wife/blown-up engine and then upon departure jumps in their 'pride and joy' and thrashes the preverbials out of it up the road (scaring the living daylights out of normal road users in the process)...
:drive:

Sounds like a fairly normal day for me :grin: :grin:

...Ragging the absolute nuts out of one's engine from cold start-up (or minimal period of tick-over) as one speeds off up the road seems to be standard as far as I can tell which always makes me chuckle :lol:

Although easy to get caught up in the 'convoy' :hand:

I have often thought it would be rather embarrassing to rear end a fellow forum member after consuming a gob-full of pork... :fight:

C4-STORM said:
Phil 997 said:
C4-STORM said:
Agreed.

The only problem nagging me is I cannot get used to the Tip buttons. They are so un-ergonomically designed IMO.

Seriously thinking paddle conversion is a must have mod.

My daily is a DCT and the steering paddles are left for down right for up and you can easily change down when turning if required.

The buttons for me are in the wrong place and awkward that both sides do the same up/down.

Next question would be will my airbag fit straight into a man wheel?

I did wonder the same re. 997 wheel as there seem to be more available on fleabay.

Then again I want to keep it proper so a 96 wheel would probs be best to retro fit straight in.

I was thinking a cheap one if there is such a thing, leather condition would t matter if I get a nice alc retrim done as well

If so I need to get a cheap one ( :eek: ) and have it trimmed in alcantara with flappy paddle conversion :grin:

(Keeping the old one to revert to OE if req)

I am wondering if the 997.2/991 sports wheel with paddles would be an option and would the correct steering control unit fit a 996 :dont know: otherwise the std seems to be to fit merc paddles :thumb: I will leave someone else to answer the airbag question as its a 996 if it were a 997 the answer is yes :thumb:

I was thinking same about a 997 wheel as an option - there seem to be more on fleabay.

Then again I think a 96 wheel would keep it proper and I could just get a cheap, shabby one if poss and get a nice alc retrim done to boot with the Merc paddles :lol:

Probably worth starting a new thread about this as it's not really to do with the main topic, but I'll answer a few:

997 wheel doesn't fit onto a 996, you'll need to have a custom adapter made (feel free to let me know if you find one!)

The tip airbag does fit into the manual wheel - I bought a nice 996 Manual Wheel and did the paddle shift mod myself, was fairly straightforward. You can choose to have Left/Down Right/Up, or the otherway around, just wire it in as desired.

The mod has saved me from selling the car - I was ready to sell the car and decided I'd fit the paddles to see if it helped, and it really has. I love driving it again, and whilst the Tip isn't perfect, it's so much better with the paddles - I rarely stick to fully auto.

Jay. said:
C4-STORM said:
Phil 997 said:
C4-STORM said:
Agreed.

The only problem nagging me is I cannot get used to the Tip buttons. They are so un-ergonomically designed IMO.

Seriously thinking paddle conversion is a must have mod.

My daily is a DCT and the steering paddles are left for down right for up and you can easily change down when turning if required.

The buttons for me are in the wrong place and awkward that both sides do the same up/down.

Next question would be will my airbag fit straight into a man wheel?

I did wonder the same re. 997 wheel as there seem to be more available on fleabay.

Then again I want to keep it proper so a 96 wheel would probs be best to retro fit straight in.

I was thinking a cheap one if there is such a thing, leather condition would t matter if I get a nice alc retrim done as well

If so I need to get a cheap one ( :eek: ) and have it trimmed in alcantara with flappy paddle conversion :grin:

(Keeping the old one to revert to OE if req)

I am wondering if the 997.2/991 sports wheel with paddles would be an option and would the correct steering control unit fit a 996 :dont know: otherwise the std seems to be to fit merc paddles :thumb: I will leave someone else to answer the airbag question as its a 996 if it were a 997 the answer is yes :thumb:

I was thinking same about a 997 wheel as an option - there seem to be more on fleabay.

Then again I think a 96 wheel would keep it proper and I could just get a cheap, shabby one if poss and get a nice alc retrim done to boot with the Merc paddles :lol:

Probably worth starting a new thread about this as it's not really to do with the main topic, but I'll answer a few:

997 wheel doesn't fit onto a 996, you'll need to have a custom adapter made (feel free to let me know if you find one!)

The tip airbag does fit into the manual wheel - I bought a nice 996 Manual Wheel and did the paddle shift mod myself, was fairly straightforward. You can choose to have Left/Down Right/Up, or the otherway around, just wire it in as desired.

The mod has saved me from selling the car - I was ready to sell the car and decided I'd fit the paddles to see if it helped, and it really has. I love driving it again, and whilst the Tip isn't perfect, it's so much better with the paddles - I rarely stick to fully auto.

Really useful to know - thanks for this :thumb:

My suspicion is that the paddle conversion will transform the driving experience and good to know the airbag and cover fit.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back