Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 suspension decisions....

APL911

Hi guys. Apologies in advance for this post, but I can't make up my mind on what suspension set up to go for.

My 996.2 is a weekend toy and my project car.
I want it to be as good as it can be, but also don't want to ruin it with bad decisions.

When I got the car I was a bit trigger happy and forked out a few quids on replacing the front dampers with oem B4's. I then fitted lowering springs.
I'm very happy with the 'stance" but the dynamics are not good enough. I want that feeling you get when driving something really special, which my car is not at the moment as the suspension is too compromised.

So my plan for Feb is to fit uprated ARB's and replace the suspension.

I had originally planned to just buy dampers and use my existing nearly New designtek lowering springs. My options were koni sport, bilstein b4 m030 or b8's.

I then got into thinking that the bilstein b12 kit is only a little bit more and includes better eibach springs.

I then thought if you're spending £1200 on b12's why not just spend £2,000 on coilovers. Either Bilstein b16 or kw v3. One thing I'm not sure about is will my existing oem top mounts work with coilovers? Or do these coilovers come with new top mounts included?...

Now I'm stuck in a closed feedback loop of cost vs quality, and I've already wasted several hundreds on buying new front b4's.

I should note that I have replaced the coffin arms and tuning fork arms with oem spec. Also fitted new oem front top mounts and track control arms.

Can someone please help. Otherwise I'm going to go live in a bin.

Thanks

Antony

Try phoning Centergravity (never understood why they spell centre wrong...)?

With suspension, it does seem that the more you spend, the better it will be, to be honest. Maybe see if anyone can give you a ride in a car fitted with the kit you want?

I had B12s (on an Audi) and they were better than OEM, but not perfect (a little under-damped).

KW V1s maybe with the remote reservoirs? going to be a lot better than you have. the V2 and V3s are even more money

there is no doubt with suspension the more you spend the better it is.

Nitron and Intrax are other options and especially if you want sth with good road manners and track capable. adjustable is key both in re bound and firmness.

Coilovers then a Centre Gravity setup APL.

You're in the same boat as me, although I'm still on 75k mile M030 shocks with newish lowering springs. Again my car sits really nicely but the damping isn't up to scratch on bumpy, worn roads.

My mate Craig on here has KWV3s on his and it's superb.
Honestly, it's like a new car. I've driven both generations of Boxster Spyder, Cayman R/GT4, and Craig's drives very nearly as well. Obviously they are mid-engined but as far as damping and compliance go there's nothing in it and they were raved about when new for their damping.
It rides bumps really nicely and not crashy at all, yet the car sits completely flat through bends. No body roll at all.

An added bonus is before a recent NC500 trip we knew the front would catch on the bumps so Craig just wound it up a few millimetres to a more forgiving height.
On return he just wound it back to the previous settings and had it checked over.

Luckily for me Craig's Ohlins arrive next week so I'm getting the KWs for a very decent price.
Go Ohlins if you can. As good or better than the V3s and the adjustment is a lot better. Craig paid £2030 for his and can claim the vat back through work so they are under £1700.

Don't waste any more money on normal dampers. Just save a bit longer and get the proper solution. I won't be fitting mine until next winter I doubt but even if hadn't got Craig's I'd be buying coilovers.

Personally I would only buy the makes discussed on here, so Ohlins, KW, Nitron, etc. Exe-tx if you're feeling flush. :wink:
The cheaper sub-£1000 brands are more for stance than outright performance I think. Just my view though. :thumb:

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm swayed towards ohlins or bilstein b16.

Neither of these come with top mounts. Will my new oem top mounts be ok do you think? I will be missing out on front camber adjustment I guess? :?:

Marky911 said:
Coilovers then a Centre Gravity setup APL.

You're in the same boat as me, although I'm still on 75k mile M030 shocks with newish lowering springs. Again my car sits really nicely but the damping isn't up to scratch on bumpy, worn roads.

My mate Craig on here has KWV3s on his and it's superb.
Honestly, it's like a new car. I've driven both generations of Boxster Spyder, Cayman R/GT4, and Craig's drives very nearly as well. Obviously they are mid-engined but as far as damping and compliance go there's nothing in it and they were raved about when new for their damping.
It rides bumps really nicely and not crashy at all, yet the car sits completely flat through bends. No body roll at all.

An added bonus is before a recent NC500 trip we knew the front would catch on the bumps so Craig just wound it up a few millimetres to a more forgiving height.
On return he just wound it back to the previous settings and had it checked over.

Luckily for me Craig's Ohlins arrive next week so I'm getting the KWs for a very decent price.
Go Ohlins if you can. As good or better than the V3s and the adjustment is a lot better. Craig paid £2030 for his and can claim the vat back through work so they are under £1700.

Don't waste any more money on normal dampers. Just save a bit longer and get the proper solution. I won't be fitting mine until next winter I doubt but even if hadn't got Craig's I'd be buying coilovers.

Personally I would only buy the makes discussed on here, so Ohlins, KW, Nitron, etc. Exe-tx if you're feeling flush. :wink:
The cheaper sub-£1000 brands are more for stance than outright performance I think. Just my view though. :thumb:

I'll second this, I had a ride in Dammit's Centre Gravity/Ohlins car and it's superb, even on London streets.

Read this month's 911 & Porsche World about spring settings with Ohlins, I think that's the way I am going to go.

Hi guys

I have ordered some Koni Sport adjustable dampers, H&R springs and H&R anti roll bar kit.

I'm now looking forward to a day of spannering later in the month.

Thanks for the imput. I wish I could have gone for the Ohlins, but I could not justify the additional expence.... :roll:

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread, but was interested in your thoughts on the Koni Shocks.

I currently have a standard C2 suspension, thats done 80k miles. I am just in the process of changing various bits (ARB bushes, drop links, inner & outer track rods). I changed the top mounts less than 1000 miles ago and the coffin arms were done recently. However taking the suspension apart, I got a good look at my shocks, they are in a poor state.

This has got me thinking that I should change them whilst I am in there, with everything dismantled. I have a set of -30mm Spax springs (free off the forum), so was planning to put these on (although I am not sure I want a full 30mm drop).
Am debating what shocks to put on (Bilstein B6/B8 or Koni Yellow Adjustable Sport) there isn't a huge difference in price (£700-£800).

It will be used for fast road and touring - it not that likely to see much track work (its a cabriolet).

I recently installed B8s and H&R lowering springs. I'm happy with the results. More planted at speed and at track and ride is as good or better on rough roads around here.

The one caveat to be aware of is the effect lowering has on camber. I had mine aligned after I put the shocks on and they couldn't get the rear camber into spec. Ive read lots have issues with rear toe, but they could get toe into spec, but not camber (too much negative). I'm presently seeking the best solution, whether it be adjustable upper control arms, or lower control arms.

Thanks JTT - B8's seem the well trodden path - so will look for some of those.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back