Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic

steve1

Hi guys
Anybody tell me how to check the oil level in a 996 2002 tiptronic please

Steve

tiptronic

Sorry did not explain properly i meant oil in the gear box.
Selected drive and it did not engage until i increased the revs it then selected with a jolt i believe this could be due to low oil level.

Steve

As above .. get to temp so 30-40 undo the bung and i expect nothing will come out .. it never does sigh .. you basically top it up untill fluid runs out.

You will need some sort of pump with an angled end to get into the lvl hole .

Demort said:
As above .. get to temp so 30-40 undo the bung and i expect nothing will come out .. it never does sigh .. you basically top it up untill fluid runs out.

You will need some sort of pump with an angled end to get into the lvl hole .

Yup. Make sure you get a pump, and dont use a long tube & gravity like I did. Took almost 2 hours. Fml.

@ Jay

Strangely enough on the Cayennes you Have to use a gravity fed bottle .. its a pain , takes ages and makes a mess so i totally agree with you .

Also trying to find some step ladders in a workshop is not the easiest .. we dont tend to have them .

Link for the bottle pump is perfect .

Demort said:
@ Jay

Strangely enough on the Cayennes you Have to use a gravity fed bottle .. its a pain , takes ages and makes a mess so i totally agree with you .

Also trying to find some step ladders in a workshop is not the easiest .. we dont tend to have them .

Link for the bottle pump is perfect .

It also stinks, and it took me a while to get the smell to stop (presumably as I had spilled it over the gearbox case, so every time it warmed up I could smell it!)

I dont mind the smell of gear oil .. in fact i actually like it .. i started as a truck mechanic but tipronic oil .. hmm .. when hot it makes my eyes sting .. horrible stuff .

Brake cleaner in a spray bottle is best for any spills like this .. we get through gallons of the stuff !

Demort said:
I dont mind the smell of gear oil .. in fact i actually like it .. i started as a truck mechanic but tipronic oil .. hmm .. when hot it makes my eyes sting .. horrible stuff .

Brake cleaner in a spray bottle is best for any spills like this .. we get through gallons of the stuff !

Went through a bunch of it myself, but annoyingly I only have access to the overly expensive spray cans from Halfords!

It worked fortunately, and it's now smell-free, but was a little worrying for around 100 miles :grin:

Go it checked all, ok level only very slightly low, no leaks.
Think it was a one off hopfully

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back