Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 C4S Manual

SGH

Had a test drive of a 997.2 C4S manual today, first manual I have driven all other have been PDK. TBH I quite liked it, but don't know if a manual 997.2 would be less appealing for resale later on than a PDK one ?

Don't worry about resale. Buy the car that you prefer.

In answer to your question, I think PDK is more desirable but a manual gen2 is rare.

Until a couple of years ago, the manuals were slow to sell and PDK cars were easy to sell. Then some people started calling them sought after and charging more for them. They remain far less common and I expect there are sufficient buyers that want them.

SGH said:
Had a test drive of a 997.2 C4S manual today, first manual I have driven all other have been PDK. TBH I quite liked it, but don't know if a manual 997.2 would be less appealing for resale later on than a PDK one ?

This has been debated so much, the PDK is about as good as an auto box gets but there will always be people that consider a manual is the only thing for a 911 and as such I dont think there will ever be any issue selling either at resale
and I think the 997 will continue to grow in popularity as the last of the true driver involved 911 sports cars. as the 991 has been developed to be more of a touring car IMO.
We are seeing this effect as the 996 goes up in price pushing the 997 very close to used 991 money. something will give at some point but not sure what or if we will see 997s being more money that 991s .I guess if we had that knowledge we would all be very very wealthy :thumb:
mine is a 997.2 C4S manual

SGH said:
It seems at the moment looking on Autotrader and Pistonheads there are more manuals than PDK for sale. Having driven this manual today it will widen my choice so think I need to drive a few more to be totally sure, also the one today was a bit low in spec.

https://www.harbourcars.com/used-car-details/Porsche-911-U1797/

Yes your right mate that one had sport chrono but nothing much else , even had the older 997.1 sports steering wheel , must have been a very early gen2 dont think PSE was an option on the very early ones but thats no excuse for no bose or sports seats lol. having said that realonable money for a low miles Gen2 C42

You do need to test drive both to see what you like. I tried PDK and manual. The PDK in Sport Plus mode was phenomenal, instant changes, and held the revs. In normal mode you could pootle around town very easily.

I was cautious of the manual as I had heard the clutch was a little heavy, and to be honest it is a bit, but not too heavy to be painful in long traffic jams. Because the engine in the S only really comes properly alive above 4k you do need to be in the right gear, PDK would kick down quickly when the gap opens, manual you need to drop a few cogs ready for it.

However, having also got a Mk4 MX-5, I am used to a very quick precise gearbox that is a joy to use. I found I got used to the manual very quickly on the test drive, so I bought it straight off, a nice gen 2 C2S, and I don't regret it.

There is something so satisfying about a good snap change that you just don't get from the PDK, even if you use the paddles, you just feel more in charge, holding the revs at exactly the level you want, not some software.

I haven't had mine long, so you will note I said in charge, not in control! Barrelling up a twisty B road in my MX I can use all the rev range for more of the time, in the 911 on the same road, you have to use less, but every gear change is an event, to be savoured, and repeated at every opportunity.

I have also had the misfortune of traffic jams on the M1 and M6, and it is t a problem, so I really don't regret getting the manual, it really is awesome!

SGH said:
Can you get Sports Steering wheel without paddles ?

for the gen1 yes and for the gen 2 yes in the normal 997.2 wheel and the 997/991 sports wheel
heres a pic of my manual 997/991 alcantara sports wheel.

Attachments

• img_2229_814.jpg
    img_2229_814.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 6,755
  • img_2059_324.jpg
    img_2059_324.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 6,750
I noticed ggst car pop up....looks nice. Is it a fairly low spec then?

The Harbour Cars is meant to be light on spec. It's a manual with the sports chassis and that was the effect the buyer was going for I expect.

It's not an early car and has PSE, which is good. I think there are better alloys out there and I don't like the steering wheel.

It's a great car and in fantastic condition, needs a sports steering wheel, short shift kit, and a set of Fuchs wheels :D

Attachments

• fuchs18silverlr1_851.jpg
    fuchs18silverlr1_851.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 6,612
I've never found myself thinking.....oooh I wish I had a pdk. Having said that the pdk is superior in every way, excluding the time when youre on your favourite bit of tarmac, you hit the brakes, heel and toe down a couple of gears. Turn in and and apply the power to perfection.
Its then when you realise the manual is the only choice.

SGH said:
Can you get Sports Steering wheel without paddles ?

Gen1 thick rimmed sports steering wheel with Tip' buttons. I assume it was available for manual cars as well.

SGH said:
It seems at the moment looking on Autotrader and Pistonheads there are more manuals than PDK for sale. Having driven this manual today it will widen my choice so think I need to drive a few more to be totally sure, also the one today was a bit low in spec.

https://www.harbourcars.com/used-car-details/Porsche-911-U1797/

just out of interest what is the car missing to be considered low spec?. Just curious as my C2S is a similar spec (without sports chrono).
It's interesting reading this post as when buying mine i got the impression it was the manuals that were more sought after, and when looking for mine i had many more options available to me if i wanted a PDK.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back