Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Portofino Italy

evodarren

I fancy doing a trip in my 997.1 GT3 to Portofino with my lady.
Has anyone done a trip there ?
Any advice on some good scenic routes with good driving roads, and places to stay and visit.
I've had my car just over 5 year and it has never left British soil.
I know sacrilege.

Many thanks
Darren

How long have you got?

Don't go to Portofino in your car. Not car friendly. Stay in the resort before it and have day or night trips there on the bus.

The lakes are a must as is Cinque Terra national park. Depending on how much driving you want to do places like Lucca, Pisa, Sienna, Florence are all within reach. Stay off the main highways and you'll see Italy at its finest. My family all live around the lakes and it's amazing when we go and visit.
Where ever you go you can't go wrong

IMHO a must do is the church at Sainte Margherita Ligure just up the road it the most beautiful building internally I have ever seen :thumb:

There are some great driving roads around Genoa, and on the road from Genoa to Milan, or the other way round. There's also a race track just to north of Milan. It's called Monza. Quite well known. And if you go north through Como, into Switzerland, there are some Alpine passes, and once in Germany, you could swing by/through/over the Black Forest, and in the Eifel Mountains, there's the Nurburgring. And Spa on the way there...

I once had a plan to drive north from Genoa, but it came to nought. One day maybe I'll be able to take a few days off, and make it. I'd say that it's a great idea.

:grin:

Another thing I forgot to mention. If you turn right and head towards Monaco, there are a million tunnels to test your exhaust on. 8)

I spent 4 days working/Project planning in Rapallo just down the coast, staying in lovely cliff top hotel.
I can't comment on the driving there, but the food, drink and scenery is spectacular, however I did briefly visit Portofino but we went by boat and it was great.
Portofino is no doubt very photogenic ( and expensive ) we stopped just for an hour or so, had a coffee and left by boat to then be dropped off on a small beach and restaurant built into the cliff, fantastic location and food.

After the working week finished I stayed on at the hotel at my expense and visited a few more restaurants in Rapollo but none matched some of the excellent sea food restaurants our Italian boss had arranged for us to eat at earlier in the week.

In summary you won't be disappointed by the area, but try and get as many local recommendations to eat when your there, especially try the seafood risotto's they are to die for Thumb

Not travelled much in Europe. Any recommendations on routes and hotels. Needs a lot of research or I will miss the great driving roads and scenery.

Hi
We worked for 4 months in Tuscany last year and I can say that the state of the roads is so bad I would not take my Porsche anywhere near the place I have never seen as many pot holes and missing Tarmac. Plus the Italian drivers who insist on being right up your @@@@ and mad keen to get past you.
Sorry but IMHO I do not rate Italy as a place to drive

JohnW997 said:
Hi
We worked for 4 months in Tuscany last year and I can say that the state of the roads is so bad I would not take my Porsche anywhere near the place I have never seen as many pot holes and missing Tarmac. Plus the Italian drivers who insist on being right up your @@@@ and mad keen to get past you.

We just plan on dropping down there for a day or two. Most of our trip will be covering France.

JohnW997 said:
Hi

My strategy has always been to rent a white FIAT, don sunglasses, and go local in terms of driving behaviour. Which sort of works until you find some bloke coming round a blind corner, on your side of the road, on three wheels... fun times. 8)

You could stop at Modena on your way to or from Portofino. I can recommend tours at Pagani and Ducati :wink:

Send me a PM if you want any help with hotels and routes.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back