Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is it Spring yet ?

I'll come along in the Touareg to pull you all out of the snow drifts! :D

I'm slightly different to most, I drive mine till the end of October then out again Feb/March. I'm really busy at work through winter and get zero time to enjoy the car. Last year I didn't sorn and it never came out, i'm not paying the tax for the wasted months i'd rather use the money on some small mods.

I've never got it out though when the gritters are out, nearly had a bad off a couple of years ago and said never again.

Johnd52 wrote:
Let's put a date in the diary for first week in Feb. John will have his car back on the road, Keith's will have been serviced and ours are out anyway. Midweek a possibility? Will start a thread on the meets forum.

It's a deal.....I'll look out for the new meets posting.... :thumb:
I need to get a couple of rear tyres first though so I'll look to see what date you were thinking of.....

easternjets said:
As soon as the gritters have been put to bed for another year i'll be out in mine.

As for the salt debate, this is what salt does: The presence of salt (or any electrolyte) in the water accelerates the reaction because it increases the conductivity of water, effectively increasing the concentration of ions in the water and so increasing the rate of oxidation (corrosion) of the metal.

It's the stone chips that p1*s me off more than the salt.

EJ is right.

The salt accelerates the corrosion. I work in automotive engineering and salt spray is used to speed up corrosion tests.

Also - If you have dissimilar metals attached together and then you add water you will get a cell. The more different the metals are the faster the galvanic corrosion on the less "noble" part. Your bonnet latch is a good example of this type of joint configuration where there is steel in contact with aluminium. This is why adding something in the joint like plastic film will help limit the effectiveness of the cell.

So keep your car in the garage when it's wet and you will be fine

:mrgreen:

Palladium said:
i suppose if you go out on a dry salted road, most of it will bounce off, its wet that's the issue

Thats a fair point too, but I still don't like taking mine out even when the roads are dry.

A few years back I moved from the coast inland. Only seven miles, but the difference is obvious every time I visit the relatives there.

For example, exterior lights need changing every couple of years as they corrode & fall apart.

I had stainless steel exterior lights & fittings around the house & even they rusted.
Take any car which spends its life at the coast or highly salted roads & even after six years they are a nightmare to work on vs a car which has been kept away from it.

Simply put, mixing anything metal with salt & water get's F****d.

So as much as it pains me, mine will sadly stay tucked away until spring...

:nooo:

Mine has been in my garage since September and on trickle charge. I've removed all the wheel liners removed any rust found, which has been ground down, sealed with Bilt Hamer rust eater, new paint and Bilt Hamer wax.

There is still a lot of salt on the road. Its likely snow again and the gritters will be out again. I'm thinking mid March, as by then it would have rained a few times and hopefully removed the salt on the road. Bit sad I know :lol:

Everyday is a spring day for me , I just make sure it gets a really good clean weekly :thumb: :thumb:

Down here the roads were gritted on Friday evening, it rained solidly all day yesterday, and all day today, i am talking torrential, fields flooded etc

that friday salt is 100 per cent long gone down the drain, until the next time.

Its a mild week coming up, no need to keep it garaged. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back