Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Picked up my Cayman R

maldren said:
ebmbiker said:
Just ordered a 35w kit from HIDS4U. Was going to get a set of Nightbreaker bulbs for the main beam but they don't do H9 fitting

Let us know how you get on, I bought their LEDs, they are very white but lack penetration. I've since heard that you should not use LEDs in projector bulbs because of the directional light output and I suspect this is correct.

Why did you choose 35W HIDs rather than 50W?

Maldren, what temperature/kelvin of light are your LEDs? The higher kelvin may be deemed better looking, but for useable light, between 4300-4800k is supposed to be the best for the primary job of seeing where you are going.

Hi MW,
mine are low temp, can't remember the exact value. They give a very good white light but no hotspot down the road so I am disappointed. I bought the kit last year and HIDS4U don't seem to supply them anymore.

The more I read, this seems to be an issue with projector bulbs although the latest Philips designs are supposed to be better focused.

I'll probably change to HID soon, my car is a 996 and the std lights really are not very good!

Great choice OP. I really like the Cayman R and that is a lovely example. If I had the spare cash and the space I would have one in an instant.

Fair play, Maldren. Their HIDs kit certainly worked for me in mine. Received great customer service as well.

The return of Marty Wild said:
I got the HIDS4U 35w kits, work like a dream and swap in and out in under 30 mins no problem!

I was pretty sure I got the Osram NightBreakers for the full beam, maybe your later model has different fitment?

Neighbour down the road was complaining of his lighting too, despite him having Litronics in his 987.1. We put some new Osram HID bulbs in, uprated his fullbeams to Nightbreakers and swapped out his crappy fog lights for some DRLs, he was shocked by the difference.

The HIDS have arrived from HIDS4U. Where did you mount the boxes?
I haven't started taking the headlights out yet so not sure if it's obvious where they go.
Cheers in advance.

What more can you say that everyone else has said already fella, nice car ..

... and a Beautiful colour !!

ebmbiker said:
I haven't started taking the headlights out yet so not sure if it's obvious where they go.
Cheers in advance.

Inside the light assembly, the ballast and the igniter and associate cabling should all fit within the OEM housing. Just needs a bit of careful packing away. No drilling or cable ties or adhesives.

- Pop the unit out with the special tool that is hidden in the frunk with the compressor etc.

- 4 Screws need undoing at the back of the assembly, squidge of WD40 helps as they are exposed to water.

- Old bulb comes out, the OEM loom then attaches to the wiring of the new light. Carefully pack all the gubbins into the box. Do NOT put the screws back in yet.

- Slide the assembly back into the car, check all the bulbs are working. Pop back out, replace the screws, no need to go super tight with them.

- Replace assembly, check it is all working again.

- Polish the lenses with dedicated plastic polish but your normal bodywork polish does also do the trick.

- Stand back and admire your handy work

- Drive at night without a change of trousers on standby.

- Expect them to have to readjust the alignment come MOT or get it done sooner by a trusted Indie.

Viola. Sorry for late reply. I would do the full beams too whilst you are in there!

The return of Marty Wild said:
ebmbiker said:
Cheers in advance.

Inside the light assembly, the ballast and the igniter and associate cabling should all fit within the OEM housing. Just needs a bit of careful packing away. No drilling or cable ties or adhesives.

- Pop the unit out with the special tool that is hidden in the frunk with the compressor etc.

- 4 Screws need undoing at the back of the assembly, squidge of WD40 helps as they are exposed to water.

- Old bulb comes out, the OEM loom then attaches to the wiring of the new light. Carefully pack all the gubbins into the box. Do NOT put the screws back in yet.

- Slide the assembly back into the car, check all the bulbs are working. Pop back out, replace the screws, no need to go super tight with them.

- Replace assembly, check it is all working again.

- Polish the lenses with dedicated plastic polish but your normal bodywork polish does also do the trick.

- Stand back and admire your handy work

- Drive at night without a change of trousers on standby.

- Expect them to have to readjust the alignment come MOT or get it done sooner by a trusted Indie.

Viola. Sorry for late reply. I would do the full beams too whilst you are in there!

Thanks dude! :thumbs:

I'll try some better bulbs first on the high beam. PIAA do some in my fitment. If still gash I'll get the HIDS mains.

Update on the HIDS conversion.

Eventually got around to fitting the kit I got from HIDS4U.

Really easy to do. Clear instructions in the kit. All in it took no more than 45 minutes. And because the whole headlight unit pops out, I did it sat on the sofa with a mug of tea whilst listening to Industrial Hardcore on the hi-fi 🤘🏼

No chance to drive in the dark yet, but the HIDS are much brighter shining on the garden gates.

I'm digging this.....

Especially 'Industrial Hardcore', sounds interesting.... any links?

I'm pretty confident you'll notice the difference in the wild.

I've had a word with my chum and if it does read 'Ahoy' from a distance he may be interested 8)

mqdefault.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back