Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Removing Steering wheel

Any advice on removing the steering wheel?

I assume:

1. Disconnect battery for 20-30 mins to kill the airbag
2. Remove 2x torx screws in back of airbag
3. Disconnect and remove airbag
4. Partially undo steering wheel nut
5. Loosen wheel without smacking into ones face as per point 4 nut is only partially undone
6. Remove wheel

Refit is reverse (Haynes style). Do I need any locknut glue?

Cheers,
Mike.

That is pretty much it. If it going to be off for some time I would put a bit of tape to hold the slip ring thingy in place behind the wheel.

MC

Use a marker pen to re realign the steering wheel if refitting .. i do 2 at 90 degrees .

Porsche wheels dont tend to stick .. not broken my nose on these so far :D

Slip ring should lock but as MC says tape is the safest way .

Carefull of the earth lead , they can fall appart .. youll figure it out when you go to remove the wiring .. easy enough to repair if the end does come off .. it can cause airbag faults if left though .

wheel

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am fitting a new wheel, but ill figure out how to get it straight.

When you mention 'slip ring' what is this?

Any precautions ref clock spring? I have seen one post on another site where the guy ended up with it uncoiled in the foot well.

Ta.

Slip ring = clock spring .. same thing but different names .. its the connection from the wheel to the electrics ..

It should lock in place when you remove the wheel but either way it will be in one position so a bit of tape will stop it moveing ,its held in place by x2 phillips screws .

Its a coiled wire in a plastic cage so it will only turn so far each way without snapping so its important not to move it whilst its off the car .

New wheel might be a tooth out .. if the steering is off after fitment then you can tweak the track rod ends to get itn straight ..

Depending on which way you move one in by a small amount .. say quarter turn of a spanner and the other out by the same amount .

If it happens and your not sure then pm me with either left or right hand down and ill tell you which way to move them .

Left hand down is wheel angled to the left in a straight line .

Update

Got the wheel in no problem and it looks great - see attachment.

I have a rubbing sound from the wheel its self when turning. I am assuming its where some of the material is not quite flat - indicated on attachment 1 by the red line. I am hoping it is just that and nothing to do with the clock spring. I will trim it back to the yellowline

I ensured it didnt move and that the arrows lined up on refitting.

Any thoughts?

Wheel is perfectly aligned, so thanks for the offer of help, but not required on that part.

Attachments

• new_wheel_188.jpg
    new_wheel_188.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 2,054
  • attachment1_914.jpg
    attachment1_914.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,054
Its possible the stalks are in the wrong place .. if you look on the under side and through the hole you wil see an 8 mm bolt .. you slacken this and move the stalks up or down .

They should be set at 55 mm from the top of the column shaft with the wheel off.

I recomend removeing the wheel when doing this .. its easier .

The caseings bolt to the stalks so that could be rubbing .

column

There is a decent gap between the wheel and the lever gear housings, checked with a torch.

I will pull it back off and sort the trim out, hopefully that will resolve it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back