Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New bulbs, big improvement.

MMT

Monza
The light on my 996.1 has been fairly poor so after reading a post on here, I decided to buy some Yeaky D2S Xenons (£22) for the low beam, some Ring Xenon effect 150% H7 (£26) high beams and some Xenon effect side lights (£9). The side lights are now white instead of yellow and the others really do seem much brighter. All the bulbs I removed were Philips, but I believe the Xenons do a have useful life even though they still work.
Here's a video.

https://youtu.be/E5Vg5y8U5j0

Are these for Litronic headlights only?

I was looking at HIDs/LEDs, but really there are none that fit non-litronic 996s (and remain legal....).

After a polish, my headlights are.....just okay. Could use more brightness.

D2S are the OEM Litronic fitment, so I presume not an after-market HID kit.

Even with Litronic, the lights are pretty poor, I can only imagine how bad they must be with halogens :?:

Halcyon said:
D2S are the OEM Litronic fitment, so I presume not an after-market HID kit.

Even with Litronic, the lights are pretty poor, I can only imagine how bad they must be with halogens :?:

Yes OEM Litronics and they're not brilliant, but changing all the bulbs has made a big improvement.

What made you chose the Yeaky bulbs over any others? (and where did you get them + how much!) :thumb:

Halcyon said:
What made you chose the Yeaky bulbs over any others? (and where did you get them + how much!) :thumb:

Somebody on here said he'd bought them and thought they were ok, but couldn't comment on their durability. So for the money I thought I would give them a go. Tw4t to change on the 996.1 trying to get my hand in to twist the holder out. I think they were just tight because they've not been out for so long. Also, there is another cable/plug on a cable that pushes into the back of the light as well as the traditional one that mates as the light unit is pushed in. When I first got my car the auto level on start up didn't work and it was because these hadn't been plugged in at some point.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/371386667649

cheers for that - I've added them to my basket :thumb:
I've already had the lamps apart on mine and the bulb removal seemed quite straight forward so they much have changed quite a bit on the 996.2 :)

HI,
Are these a straight swap in a 996.2 with Litronic?

What is the best colour temperature to go for? don't like the really white versions... and always get confused as to which is which: 5500k/6500k/8000k

thanks

double check your owner's manual to make sure that yours are also D2S - if they are (as mine are) then yes, they will be a direct plug-in replacement.

hid-colour-chart.jpg

EGTE said:
I was looking at HIDs/LEDs, but really there are none that fit non-litronic 996s (and remain legal....).s.

You want an H7R HID kit, the 'R' designates designed for reflector (non-litronic) headlight.

Thanks, Asterix.

However, I must confess that I do indeed have Litronics!

I assumed my car had halogens, as there was no Litronic Option code.

However, working with (the very helpful ) Alex at HorizonLEDs, I ended up popping the headlight out yesterday and I was pleased to find a Litronic headlight. Turns out they were standard on 996.2s 8) .

Alex recommended new D2s bulbs, stating Xenons only really put out full light levels for a guaranteed 2 years!

Will try new bulbs and report back also :thumb: Those with Halogens have my sincerest sympathy!

Litronics weren't standard on all 996.2 cars

They all have projector style lenses though. :thumb:

I'm not doubting you! But Litronics have self levelling and the silver washer cover built into the headlight. so if you have all that too, then yet, you have Litronics!

And if you take the bulb out and it says D2S then that's a good hint too :mrgreen:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
midas
Back