Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre pressures adjusted. Holy Christmas what a difference!

alex yates said:
And the fact they get seriously hot and therefore increases the pressure dramatically whilst on the track!

I drop mine down by about 8psi at the track so that they read the recommended pressures (not accounting for tyre temp). It slides massively when pressures are too high and handling is immediately restored with the re-adjustment of pressure. It also has a positive effect on tyre wear at the track, too high and it kills them fast.

When I filled up I notice the pressures printed on the fuel cap don't refer to empty or fully laiden. Has anyone ever found out which it is?

A quick update.

I've put mine to 36f and 40r. Again I can feel a big difference.

32f and 36r felt a bit floaty at motorway speeds.

Let's see how this feels....

If I let the rear of my 996t drop under 40 psi it feels terrible from a handling point of view, the ride is marginally better but then again I didn't by the car for comfort.

If I let the front drop below 32 the steering feels horrible and I soon destroy the outside edge of the tyres

If you think about it logically the higher rear pressures makes perfect sense given the very heavy engine mounted behind the rear axle line, you need the extra pressure to support the extra weight and allow the carcass of the tyre support the huge side loads generated. An artic lorry runs even higher pressures for just this reason.

On track days I find pressures can increase by more than 10 psi, I've read many times on forums that higher pressures reduce grip by a lot, again that's not been my experience. I find with lower pressures I destroy the outer edge of the tyre, with higher pressures I get much more even wear and it takes longer for the tyres to overheat.

It seems that Porsche are God except when it comes to the subjects of oil type and viscosity, oil filter change intervals and tyre pressures, when they know nothing when compared to a passionate forum member!!

I run mine at 33f and 40r with 18" wheels, m030 kit and p zero's, seems fine to me.

Mike

It seems that Porsche are God except when it comes to the subjects of oil type and viscosity, oil filter change intervals and tyre pressures, when they know nothing when compared to a passionate forum member!![/quote]

WhY do you think what Porsche have got wrong in terms of oil type, viscosity anf filter change inervals? Just curious

I fitted new tyres at the weekend (PS4 front and PS2 N4 rear) and have them at 32F/40R at the moment. Will have a play once they're scrubbed in.

P911X50 said:

It seems that Porsche are God except when it comes to the subjects of oil type and viscosity, oil filter change intervals and tyre pressures, when they know nothing when compared to a passionate forum member!!

WhY do you think what Porsche have got wrong in terms of oil type, viscosity anf filter change inervals? Just curious[/quote]

I picked up on this as well P911X50, but didn't comment believing the Mac's tongue was firmly in his cheek - I hope it is!!

PS2's fitted today and set at 32/38.

Stair rods down here on the coast earlier so trundled home and chucked it in the garage :nooo:

alex yates said:
C4-STORM said:
Stair rods down here

I had to google that! :?

:grin: Lovely weather for ducks..
Thought you were going to have a pop about my tyre pressures for a minute there Alex :thumb:
:floor:

I would go with the factory recommendation...

On the basis that if you have a nasty crash and the car is investigated they might suggest it all went wrong because your tires were under-deflated, not worth the risk if you push your car...

Slutters said:

On the basis that if you have a nasty crash and the car is investigated they might suggest it all went wrong because your tires were under-deflated, not worth the risk if you push your car...

I've never heard of this, and surely a 'defence' could be they were the right pressure before the crash? I'm not trying to poo-poo you here I'm intrigued.

Slutters said:

As Demort says the manufacturer recommended pressures apply to Porsche Approved 'N' Rated tyres only.

The other tyre manufacturers publish different pressures and then you have pressures for full-load, half-load etc.

It's like saying an Insurance company wouldn't pay out if your tyres were set at full load and you were driving solo (ie. Over inflated) or you had non-Porsche approved tyres fitted.

Never heard of this.

Some guys are even opting for tyres which are not even the recommended sizes. This for me could be more of an issue perhaps... :?:

Wrong size is a much bigger issue if you don't inform your insurers, for sure.

I've plumped for 30/38....

on my non-standard-sized wheels....

on non-N-rated tyres!

Alex forgive me - it's not to wind you up; I just think it's the best ride/handling balance for me (and I have told my insurers) :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back