Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tonight''s topic for discussion: Track car options.

squelch

Imola
I've been looking at cars for a bit of occasional track fun and thought I'd throw it on here for discussion / opinions.

Lately been looking at 991 GT3's (seeing some at Bicester last Sunday kind of sealed the deal for me) but I'm not sure how much fun I'd really have throwing that value round a track rubbing wings with Mazda MX5's and Saxos etc.

Just wondered what people's thoughts are on 997.1 / 2 GT3 vs Cayman GT4 vs 991 GT3

Assuming I don't bin it spectacularly whilst being overtaken by a Pug 106, I'd like to retain some value too.

Thoughts...?

Budget?

MC

The budget is as per each car really - max £130k. I've even been looking at Elises and Exiges for a bit of fun but obviously they don't tick the P box.

Do we think GT4 prices have bottomed out? They do look like fun!

I was in a similar situation and in the end bought two cars.

My take, track work is hard on the car, not only from a mechanical perspective, the bodywork and paint takes a hammering even if you don't take any off track diversions, which exasibates the issue.

If you want to keep your car clean the track is not the place for it. - When on track most of us like to push and while I would enjoy doing so in a GT3, getting home to discover chips, marks etc would annoy me. - There is also the risk of crashing/causing serious damage.

In the end after much procrastinating I bought a 996 for the track and something else for the weekends. - But each to their own.

In answer to your GT4 question, no I do not think they have bottomed out.

If you have that kind of budget then you're not a poor man so buying a nice motor to track for me would be something like a GT4. Great car and manual so would be great with that sound. But if you're going to track it it's going to get chips etc and lead a hard life depending on how much you intend to do it. So I'm not sure it will hold the value against the low mileage cars that were flipped from new.

I think you'll have as much fun in any Porsche. Maybe I'd get an older 996, and spend some money getting it prepped for the track. But with your budget I'd probavly save some and go for a GT4.

All depends on your budget

Even a Cayman S of any generation is good enough with a few tasteful mods, as its mid engines handling is outstanding

911UK said:
All depends on your budget

Even a Cayman S of any generation is good enough with a few tasteful mods, as its mid engines handling is outstanding

Aren't 9e tuning a Cayman :dont know:

If it's good enough for them... :drive:

I'd speak to PopPopBangBang and buy a Formula 3 car from him :grin:

:thumb:

If you haven't done many days on a track then I'd suggest starting off in something a little 'friendlier'

A Westfield imo provides the best "track" experience, it's hilarious to drive, easy to drive but hard to master, and because it's so light it really pays you to improve your technique.

Nobody wants to be that guy in the GT3RS that doesn't know what an apex is.

If I was going to have that much budget to blow on a track car I'd be looking at the car that was at Donnington last year, I believe it was an ex 'cup' car and although it was a bit high maintenance with all the guys helping him it was the mutts nuts and went round Donnington about 10-15 secs faster than anything else.
I looked at the MX-5 donor kit car that was at the NEC. Get yourself a knackered MX-5, cat c damaged, buy the kit from Mills Extreme Vehicles. Find a friendly garage with a lift etc and get yourself a road legal car for about £5500. Good thing is, bits are cheap and readily available from Mazda breakers.

Attachments

• cup_car_490.jpg
    cup_car_490.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,839
You can pick up a 996 cup for £50k, these are substantially cheaper to run that the later generations and do not require a pit crew.

It doesn't matter whether your budget is £2k or £200k with track cars.

In fact, you can usually wring out a much cheaper car and test your limits a lot easier than you can in a more expensive one.

Personally I've always had more fun in Westy's, Mini's and 205 GTI's than I have in GT3's and GT-R's for that reason.

I suppose it depends on your track day experience too. If you've mastered trackdays in something like a Westy and a nice RWD M car, then a GT is the next step, just try to do it justice! :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back