Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Using LHD CARS in the UK

Thanks for the replies. My take away is that it's worthinvestigating when ready.
For those that have a GT3, how many hours driving before your kidneys are broken?

Disco said:
The space saver is of course a centre lock (there isn't any other way to put it on the car), though to be honest I've only ever seen them in the parts catalogue and didn't have a clue where they were actually part of spec. It is of course the most useless accessory out there (even allowing for the hilarious price of them). Porsche do make a telescopic breaker bar for getting the wheels off (also for daft money) which presumably is also within the kit, however I recall that people in America bought them when the car was new and discovered that after the torque specs on the wheels were increased by Porsche, the bar bent when used and would no longer collapse. Plus of course - you wouldn't want to use a tool kit jack when leaning 600Nm of torque on to the wheel so unless you always carry a trolley jack in the car : you just wouldn't... :nooo:
Thanks for clarifying Colin. I did wonder that if the space saver was of a CL design, then there must also be a tool (you've mentioned telescopic breaker) for this also. I guess this ought to be standard equipment too.

~ Maxie

FZP said:
For those that have a GT3, how many hours driving before your kidneys are broken?

About 12 years and counting without any issues (first 5.5 were 996.2 comfort with leather buckets and the rest with my 997.2 Clubsport with folding buckets). When I used to do the run to the 'ring I often did Eurotunnel Calais to Barweiler near the circuit non-stop (usually about 4 hours and change {but may have been done in less with the aid of derestricted autobahns}. And that doesn't include getting to the chunnel from Hertfordshire either. When I had the 996 I actually did a few laps after arrival a couple of times too). It doesn't like speed humps and potholes, but running on Cups at the appropriate pressures it actually has better damping and compliance than my 3 series (though admittedly that is on run flats) and the buckets are supportive and surprisingly comfortable. I don't get on well with the fixed Carrera GT style buckets that they brought in with the 997.1 though - those upset my shoulders fairly quickly as they are very narrow across the back.

Maxie said:
Thanks for clarifying Colin. I did wonder that if the space saver was of a CL design, then there must also be a tool (you've mentioned telescopic breaker) for this also. I guess this ought to be standard equipment too.

The Telescopic breaker bar is part 997 361 161 00. According to Suncoast {the only place I've seen it listed} the US RRP is (sit down for this) US $503.19. And it reportedly bends if used at the revised torque settings for the wheels. The correct jack for a GT3 is (according to PET) still the standard scissor one in use since the 996.

Suddenly curious, I went and did a bit of searching for more details on the space saver (having never actually seen one I wondered what it looked like), and actually it gets even more absurd than I thought. Apparently the emergency wheel for a centre lock Porsche is what appears to be an aluminium centre lock hub adaptor (marked with the part number 997 362 191 00) which you bolt on to the car as a centre lock and then the actual space saver wheel itself is bolted to that (apparently that is actually a 5 bolt 970 {Panamera} part number, but the wheel plus CL adaptor plus bolts together have the part number 997 362 021 00. Which is {according to someone on a US thread who actually bought one for his Turbo S} a further $850). So I was actually a least half wrong as the centre lock space sever wheel itself is actually only a centre lock due to a lump of metal bolted to it.

Apparently it doesn't fit in the front boot if the organiser tray and carpet in the bottom are present either.

All of which perhaps explains why none of this stuff is standard on European or American spec cars and hence why I have never actually seen one. :dont know:

In countries without reliable roadside recovery services it is I suppose a different story...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back