Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is it Spring yet ?

I'll make an observation if I may.
When buying cars, a rule of thumb in Sydney was to not buy cars from suburbs near the beach as the salt spray would make them more rusty than cars that spent most if their lives away from the beach.
I have mates who own a farm, 3 hours from the coast, where they do get rain, but they've got a 1960s Toyota Landcruiser that has mild surface rust from being out in the elements for 50 odd years.
Salt definitely accelerates the oxidisation of metal. Washing it off will definitely slow down that oxidisation.
My car has been used all year round and it it's pristine under the car. A testament to the treatments that they do in the factory. Interestingly the only oxidisation I have is on the engine case. That funny white pitting, not rust.

The Sun's done more damage to my car than salt.

Ooops....what have I said.......all the 993 owners will be SORNing in summer now :grin:

KP964 said:
alex yates said:
How come Paddington wears wellies then?
:grin: :thumb:

I think that's because he was in London! My girl was wearing thermals in the south if France in the summer as it was 'only' 20 degrees!

:dont know:

No such thing as bad weather lads - just the wrong clothes, as they say. Won't get involved in the salt discussion but you know here I am Keith and John if you fancy a run out sometime. Think Ghengis has just had his re-spray done so he must be up for a good salty test run as well, surely.
Cheers....Ian

As soon as the gritters have been put to bed for another year i'll be out in mine.

As for the salt debate, this is what salt does: The presence of salt (or any electrolyte) in the water accelerates the reaction because it increases the conductivity of water, effectively increasing the concentration of ions in the water and so increasing the rate of oxidation (corrosion) of the metal.

It's the stone chips that p1*s me off more than the salt.

.....It's good this...... :popcorn: and no sign of fisticuff's (yet) I'm still debating 1st Feb or 1st March....but mostly because of the cold and lack of daylight.....keep up the opinions folks.... :thumb:

moorhouse said:
No such thing as bad weather lads - just the wrong clothes, as they say. Won't get involved in the salt discussion but you know here I am Keith and John if you fancy a run out sometime. Think Ghengis has just had his re-spray done so he must be up for a good salty test run as well, surely.
Cheers....Ian
Hi Ian i bumped into Thomas last week , his car is now in for a full engine rebuild and is almost finished , we will wait for John i think he will be first to crack :)

i suppose if you go out on a dry salted road, most of it will bounce off, its wet that's the issue

Palladium said:
i suppose if you go out on a dry salted road, most of it will bounce off, its wet that's the issue

I think you could be right , the salt dries out and turns to powder, however we often go out when everyone thinks its safe , days after the freeze and you can see the white salt being blown about getting sucked in to the engine bay via the rear spoilers , does the salt loose its strength if its not diluted by the rain i wonder, if not we are all fooked anyway .

i waited a hell of a long time since it was in the car magazines in the '80s to owning one, i cant be having it put away for 6 months, if it gets a bit of salt corrosion, it will have to be cut out and welded, i don't think it has, i go under it all the time, any corrosion is age related, i am out in it tonight to run a few errands. :thumb:

p.s i think aircooled are better in the cold. :thumb:

All you need to do is give it a hose down once a week underneath and around the arches. Don't know what all the fuss is about.

moorhouse said:
Cheers....Ian

Let's put a date in the diary for first week in Feb. John will have his car back on the road, Keith's will have been serviced and ours are out anyway. Midweek a possibility? Will start a thread on the meets forum.

John D

Johnd52 said:
moorhouse said:
Cheers....Ian

Let's put a date in the diary for first week in Feb. John will have his car back on the road, Keith's will have been serviced and ours are out anyway. Midweek a possibility? Will start a thread on the meets forum.

John D

sounds good to me John :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back