Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust Rattle Sound

TBE997

still haven't managed to get the car inspected by a garage/shop (any recommendations in/around London appreciated).

on very low revs (below 1k), when i slow release the clutch and gentle touch the gas pedal (i.e. in stop and go traffic), i get this exhaust rattle. I suspect a broken or cracked exhaust bracket.. anyone any clue by any chance? don't think it's the engine i.e. something going bad?

i have tried to replicated the noise yesterday and recorded it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-A5yddQmkM

Whereabouts in London? If North, look up Matt at Porschacare, based around codicote/welwyn garden city. Knows his stuff......

Almost certainly the exhaust brackets that are welded between the pipes. Take the bumper off and have a good look.

I had exactly the same noise on mine, you could also hear it by hitting the tailpipe end on.

I found 3 in total that had split, a few dabs of weld had it all sorted.

I had this - turned out to be PSE actuator rod snapped leaving the butterfly valve flapping about inside

pcat said:
I had this - turned out to be PSE actuator rod snapped leaving the butterfly valve flapping about inside

Was that an easy fix?

Colin.

Either it'll be one of the issues listed above (which are most likely culprits).

If not it could be the baffles inside the PSE. I've come across this a few time now.

If you can get user the car you'll quickly spot a broken actuator or fixing, if there is nothing obvious it could well be a broken baffle. (Sorry pictures don't work anymore due to photobucket)

Baffles are fixable but it's a bit of a faff.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=98717&highlight=

I had a load of rattling at low revs, especially under load, and since I changed my cats and boxes, it has gone away. My guess was the baffles in the exhaust had rotted away and were rattling around. These boxes rot from the inside out,so you can't see the state they are in,only hear it.

leasky said:
pcat said:

Was that an easy fix?

Colin.

OPC = 1500 quid for half a PSE system + labour
Indie = 100 quid welding job

A picture of the brackets i think you have that cause problems ..

Ive bent away the one in the picture for the photo , normally you dont see the crack you lever bar it and find it that way.

Some can be welded and some are a bit more tricky to gain access .. bending the bracket away is also an option .

Attachments

• exhaust_171.jpg
    exhaust_171.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 4,720
Thanks for all the replies.

I suspected that it might be one of the brackets, good that most agree based on the sound clip. Will probably try 9e and see if they can fix it

FYI, this is a Tubi aftermarket exhaust, didnt have the rattle with the original PSE, so some of clamps and brackets might have cracked/been damaged when the swapped the exhausts and cats.

Cheers

So after visiting 9e yesterday (great shop and Adam and Ken have been extremely helpful and caring, will definitely go there again) and getting the car up, it seems that the rattle is due to the connecting pipe between muffler and tips on the left sits on another exhaust pipe, which is likely to cause the rattle under low load (there are also marks on the lower pipe).

Left side (where they sit on top of each other)

v7VimZ4.jpg

Right side, the way it supposed to be

Q1wDJSc.jpg

these pipes were not supplied by Tubi back then, so my options are either contacting Tubi (i bought the exhaust through scuderiaparts.com) or getting them custom made... will try option 1 first!

Brackets and clamps seem all seem ok..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back