Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help Please 997 Gen 1 Turbo

bambam31

Folks, wonder if anybody can help?

I have the pleasure of owning a 2008 997.1 Turbo, covered 48K miles.

Over the past 6 to 9 months the car has developed a very alarming tendency to die after a couple of cranks when starting, normally starts on the second attempt.

My local OPC have looked at it an inordinate amount of times, battery, spark plugs checked and corroded battery wires changed - all to no avail.

The OPC seem to be giving up - and suggested a car on permanent trickle charge.

Car is used for around 40 minutes daily.

Need some advice please!

:?: :?:

Yeah sorry not very clear.
I crank the car for a couple of seconds but it won't catch, just dies.
I've got a good video but can't post it!

Sounds like you have a lovely car, do try and post the vid even if you post it on youtube then paste a link in here , you have found the right place to hopefully get the advise you need. :thumb:

Im still not sure if you mean by " it dies " that it wont spin over any more .. do you loose the dash lights .. any clicking from the starter when it dies ?

See if you can email me the video .. [email protected]

It sounds interesting as anything an OPC struggles on is going to be a problem worth working on .. well for me al least .

I have a few ideas but really need to have a good description or video of the symptoms .

As your new and probably have no idea im an ex OPC mechanic now at an Indy with 14 years Porsche experience .. and i enjoy problems like this !

Thanks mate, you are very kind.
Videos should be with you now - also a video that shows the car occasionally whooshing on start up!
Thanks
Stuart

Strange this coming up just now.

I have more or less the same issue at approx the same miles.

Mine usually starts ok, but occasionally will appear to be completely dead when I turn the key.

Other times, it will give a click from the starter motor, some times it turns over a couple of times slowly but not fast enough to catch.

When the problems occur, it usually takes a couple more turns of the key & then it fires as normal.

The problems don't seem to be any different if the engine is hot or cold.

Ive looked at the main starter cables & they seem ok, no corrosion or verdigris on the ends.

Battery tested ok & shows 14+ volts when running so assube the cables are good too.

To me, its looking like the starter motor is at fault, & been quoted around the £400 for a replacement so would like to try & confirm this before pulling the trigger on it!

This has kinda moved to emails , ive just seen his video and sent a reply .. basically 2 turns of the starter motor and it dies / stops spinning over , turn off the ignition and try again and it spins over and starts fine .

My thought atm for this are engine earth lead .. hmm probably not but needs checking and back to my favourite Power distributer pin corrosion .

If you get a clicking solinoid but no starter action then the starter is the most obvious .

If you get similar to above with slow spin over at times then it might be the power pin ..

Link here about it ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118716&highlight=power

You may also have an ignition switch fault but the above are the first ports of call really to check / replace .

EDIT ..

bambam31 video of his fault ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baez7YydBHQ

Demort said:
This has kinda moved to emails , ive just seen his video and sent a reply .. basically 2 turns of the starter motor and it dies / stops spinning over , turn off the ignition and try again and it spins over and starts fine .

My thought atm for this are engine earth lead .. hmm probably not but needs checking and back to my favourite Power distributer pin corrosion .

If you get a clicking solinoid but no starter action then the starter is the most obvious .

If you get similar to above with slow spin over at times then it might be the power pin ..

Link here about it ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118716&highlight=power

You may also have an ignition switch fault but the above are the first ports of call really to check / replace .

My gen 1 turbo has had a similar fault during the summer particularly when hot. Hot restart and it will invariably not crank beyond the first revolution as if the battery is drained. Reset the key and try again it will turn over and start. I had to get it out the garage for a ladder 2 weeks ago when it was bitter cold and it did exactly the same which is the first time its done that when ambient isn't hot!!!! I will have to get it investigated in the spring when it's on the road. :dont know:

Blimy .. thats 3 of you all on the same post ..

Hot only and to me thats starter motor or possibly ignition switch with starter motor being the first thing to confirm.

You also have battery leads , engine earth strap .. starter relay .. but none of these really is bad one attempt and fine the next .. thats more starter / power dist pin type of fault .

Check his movie above .. its on my edit.

Demort said:
Blimy .. thats 3 of you all on the same post ..

Hot only and to me thats starter motor or possibly ignition switch with starter motor being the first thing to confirm.

You also have battery leads , engine earth strap .. starter relay .. but none of these really is bad one attempt and fine the next .. thats more starter / power dist pin type of fault .

Check his movie above .. its on my edit.

Yes that's similar although I tend to get less revolutions from the engine first attempt. The tacho spikes just the same.

I would certainly start with checking the power dist. pin as to me atm this seems like a voltage failure to the starter .. its trying to draw more current than it can due to a resistance .. on the first crank it will in effect heat up the resistance area and so works on the second attempt ...

Well thats my theory :)

EDIT ..

The next would be a test on the starter to measure current draw or just replace it .. they do tend to suffer on the Turbos .

Porsche thought it was the starter motor found a corroded cable changed that and thought they'd fixed it, guess what they hadn't!

Going through silly thoughts that I should trade in for an RS/S5 - nah

:dont know:

bambam31 said:
Porsche thought it was the starter motor found a corroded cable changed that and thought they'd fixed it, guess what they hadn't!

Going through silly thoughts that I should trade in for an RS/S5 - nah

:dont know:

Or the other thought would be to go for a 991.1 C4S
Not sure I can live without a TURBO in my life tho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back