Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lidl CTEK

Fed said:
Sorry for tardy response. JPSH120 - absolutely correct, saves opening the bonnet, frunk, whatever you call the thing at the front.

I think that may well work for 987/997 generation cars but take care with later 981/991 (and so on) generation vehicles; I think that the feed to/from the ciggy-lighter socket is shut down after 10 minutes or so. So you plug the charger in, all seems fine, you lock the car, turn your back and then find it's been disconnected!

James

Passed a Lidl today so popped in and bought one. For £13.99 it would be daft not to.

Cheers OP. :thumb:

C.

Got one of these about 4 years ago and it has been great apart from the previous mentioned problem of, if the mains supply is interrupted then come back on, say after a power cut, then the charger comes back on in standby mode, not charging so you do need to check at least weekly.
Anyway a great charger and price 👍 so I've bought 2 more😀

Her indoors grabbed me a couple of these today - it'll be interesting to see how they compare to the Cteks.

Wasn't expecting much but first impressions are good - it's got more weight to it than I expected.

So far I've only taken it out the box though, so it could just be junk that burns down the garage! I'll be plugging them in tomorrow, so we'll see...

Oh ye of little faith!

Had mine plugged in for well over a month now and I've told the Fire Brigade to stand down!

Had one of the very early ones of these and it did stop working so I replaced it two years ago with another one. As others state they won't for some reason bring back a totally dead battery, I gather they need some volts to get the charger to recognise the battery. Also they revert to start up setting if they're powered down. 3 yr warranty as well so hang onto the receipt.

my 98 996 cig lighter goes off with the ignition, its not permanent live. Maybe it changed later on.

I have a Ctek on the Porsche and a Lidl one on the Camper. the only difference is you have to reset the Lidl one following it being powered off. Great bit of kit at a quarter the price of a Ctek.

Mike

short-shift said:
Fed said:
Sorry for tardy response. JPSH120 - absolutely correct, saves opening the bonnet, frunk, whatever you call the thing at the front.

I think that may well work for 987/997 generation cars but take care with later 981/991 (and so on) generation vehicles; I think that the feed to/from the ciggy-lighter socket is shut down after 10 minutes or so. So you plug the charger in, all seems fine, you lock the car, turn your back and then find it's been disconnected!

James

It works fine on my 991 and doesn't shut down after ten minutes. Also works on our 986 too.

I'm sure someone years ago took one of these apart and found it to be the same as the c-tek not sure if that true. I have a c-tek on the Porsche but have a couple of these on vehicles at work, always worked well.

The c-tek also needs some charge in the battery to work.

silvermilnec said:
I'm sure someone years ago took one of these apart and found it to be the same as the c-tek not sure if that true.

I could well believe it - they feel very similar and the way they work is virtually the same (certainly for the earlier Ctek 3.6 anyway). These cheapies even have the added bonus of giving a voltage reading - and being a skeptic I've checked with a meter and they're spot on.

I've had two plugged in since Saturday and I'm impressed.

I have a CTEK on the 997 and the Lidl one on my Z3 - great bit of kit for the money, had mine 3 years nearly permanently connected and no issues other than as people have mentioned with need to manually reset after power cut.

I have now got the Lidl charger. It has crocodile clips so what part do I need to enable me to plug it in to the fag lighter socket?
Cheers Rick

The Lidel one doesn't go into the cig lighter socket it just goes onto your battery terminals, you could put bullet connectors on and buy a cig lighter adaptor from Maplins and do it that way but for now I'm afraid you get what you pay for!
It still works perfectly well as it is, had mine on for 3 months and the other day I opened the car, put ignition on etc and I heard the charger click in to keep the battery topped up.

Yes got that EJ, just want the convenience of plugging it in to the fag socket. I will pick up a plug off eBay and rig it up. Cheers Rick

Just had a look round Lidl today, the Ctek is back on sale for £12.99. Also they have borescope camera for around£40 & powerbank for around £40. Don't know how good the last two are but their stuff is usually pretty good

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back