Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Carbon interior - real versus dipped?

I've been driving a 2015 Audi S8 for the last couple of years and that came with the dodgiest CF trim I have ever seen. Quite how they felt that was OK for an £85k car I have no idea. Some parts, like the gear lever, were lovely with a really deep lacquer, but the main console/heater surround trim was very thin and flimsy looking and wasn't even in one piece.

Untitled by CJK007, on Flickr

another option would be to get things carbon skinned with real cloth. Its a little more expensive than dipping but when you put the 2 side by side you'll not regret it.

andy1985 said:
another option would be to get things carbon skinned with real cloth. Its a little more expensive than dipping but when you put the 2 side by side you'll not regret it.

I've had quotes for this on my interior pieces and it's not that much more than the dipping. I think I'll go this route if I ever decide to do it

Does your C4s have the alcantara roof option? Id be going alcantara wrap on some selected items if it were me then but then that's probably as I have a real turn off for shiny interior trim as I feel they just look so dated or trying to hard ( like the S8 above) although that 996 above with the grey interior doesn't look too bad to be fair.

My pet hate is carbon fibre where it does only serve a purpose as to supposedly look nice. There was a glorious looking dark purple aerokit car for sale Oct last year that was so so nice however had grey interior with the full carbon trim option including steering wheel sections. It was just so OTT.
If you do it be subtle with it please and as above do the skinning as the dipping Ive seen does look pretty cheap. Maybe a satin finish to the lacquer would work?

Jay. said:
I've had quotes for this on my interior pieces and it's not that much more than the dipping. I think I'll go this route if I ever decide to do it

May I ask where you got prices for this from as I think it sounds like a better option. Comparing the two side vent pics above, the real one looks quite different to the dipped one.

coullstar said:
Does your C4s have the alcantara roof option? Id be going alcantara wrap on some selected items if it were me then but then that's probably as I have a real turn off for shiny interior trim as I feel they just look so dated or trying to hard ( like the S8 above) although that 996 above with the grey interior doesn't look too bad to be fair.

My pet hate is carbon fibre where it does only serve a purpose as to supposedly look nice. There was a glorious looking dark purple aerokit car for sale Oct last year that was so so nice however had grey interior with the full carbon trim option including steering wheel sections. It was just so OTT.
If you do it be subtle with it please and as above do the skinning as the dipping Ive seen does look pretty cheap. Maybe a satin finish to the lacquer would work?

I am wary of it looking naff so may buy spare used parts and get those done so I can sell them on if I don't like it. I do like alcantara and have had the wheel retrimmed in it to match the rooflining already (which feels lovely). Alcantara isn't easy to wrap around some shapes, especially button cutouts etc,

I have just seen a photo of a 996 with a Guards Red centre console (and seat backs) which I think looks amazing. What are people's thought's on doing this to a Basalt Black C4S which has red seatbelts?

IMG_20170805_144310.jpg

I think it looks great (even like the seat backs but I don't have those seats in mine (yet) )

galahad said:
I have just seen a photo of a 996 with a Guards Red centre console (and seat backs) which I think looks amazing. What are people's thought's on doing this to a Basalt Black C4S which has red seatbelts?

Red in a red car = :thumb:

Red in a black car = :thumbdown:

T8 said:
Red in a black car = :thumb:

Red in a black car = :thumb:

:floor:

I think red in a black car will look 8)

I like a bit of colour coding.

Think how many people are painting their C4S's S's in red :grin:

:thumb:

I'd stick with body-colour for the tunnel-console and seat backs, that's what Porsche offered and I think would look better than a different colour altogether.

galahad said:

IMG_20170805_144310.jpg

I think it looks great (even like the seat backs but I don't have those seats in mine (yet) )

Personally I think it makes it look a bit plastic-y, a bit like a Fiat.

But then I'm quite keen on Carbon which a lot of people aren't, so personal opinions and all that.

Afraid I just dont get the whole carbon-fibre interior thing.... either real or dipped : '
i.e. carbon fibre is either structural or aero perfomance - not convinced either of these really apply to that little strip across dash (which is held in by some serious awkward bastard fixings by the way - basically if you plan to remove it, put some extended time aside to being upside down in pain and commit!)

I opted for the extended leather option - just my personal preference, but I bet its also the more exclusive one on sheer numbers - works well in a 996 interior, as it unifies the random collection of trims bits, rather than accentuating the fact if you get the balance a bit off........ aka that wood trim monstronsity on the previous page!

I think that you would need to be quite thoughtful before doing the centre console in red on a black on black car.
on its own no I dont think it would work even with red seat belts but carefully add accents to both inside and out in red then yes it might work will.

eg red centre console, dash trim , instrument surround , black carpets with red trim, exterior door mirrors or mirror bottoms red badge on the back red lower door logos especially if you have red calipers. That way it would look intentional and not just one piece of red in a sea of black.

Some will hate it but done carefully and subtly it could look good :thumb:

but remember this thought comes from someone who put midnight blue, stone grey and acid green together :floor: :floor: :grin: :thumb:

Attachments

• 06b0b190be_671.jpg
    06b0b190be_671.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 4,194
  • 1996001_158.jpg
    1996001_158.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 4,194
  • picture_php_pictureid_9762_dfb3f1d049b68e6c364f2cf99cacfff67c07ce37_198.jpg
    picture_php_pictureid_9762_dfb3f1d049b68e6c364f2cf99cacfff67c07ce37_198.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 4,194
  • porsche_4s_pdk_red_alcantara_06_150.jpg
    porsche_4s_pdk_red_alcantara_06_150.jpg