Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

German import - value?

bradders911

Trainee
Hi, turns out the car I bought was a German import, probably by a squaddie, in 2002 registered UK. Being a newbie, does this affect value much?

Car is low miles, lots spent last year incl shocks, tappets, rms replaced 7500 in all. Bodywork and interior really is in very good nick, although a couple of minor electrical issues (heated screen, mirrors)

Looking for some knowledge as to whether I've been ripped off or not :)

bradders911 said:
Hi, turns out the car I bought was a German import, probably by a squaddie, in 2002 registered UK. Being a newbie, does this affect value much?

Car is low miles, lots spent last year incl shocks, tappets, rms replaced 7500 in all. Bodywork and interior really is in very good nick, although a couple of minor electrical issues (heated screen, mirrors)

Looking for some knowledge as to whether I've been ripped off or not :)

If it's a squaddie then likely a German export as for armed forces the VAT rules were different at 12 months off-shore and then no VAT qualifying.

If this is the case then it would be a UK vehicle but registered via a European log book and export papers overseas and then after the 12 months comes back to UK to be re-registered.

NAAFI Car Sales did it for years as buybacks on all but especially premium models where the VAT element is substantial in pound notes - bit of a VAT loop hole which they and others like Griffin Military/DDS Cars took advantage of. Irony is, the armed forces also get a fleet discount off the normal retail list price so the net cost of vehicle can be shockingly low!

Doesn't happen so much now as a lot of the German bases have closed down. I did one about 2 years ago for a Dutchman registered address in UK, serving in the British Army based in Germany!!

Back on topic - if this is the case then no the car would be worth just the same. It is the first keeper who benefits, you can't apply a 20% reduction to any future trade or retail values if car no different than if it had stayed here.

May be worth checking lights front and rear but I am sure these would have been sorted as an MOT requirement a long time back.. :thumb:

What is it BTW??

If all the requisite changes have been made to bring it to UK spec - notably the change of headlights - then the current value shouldn't be any different.

Earlier in its life relative values may have been an issue but not now.

T8 said:
If all the requisite changes have been made to bring it to UK spec - notably the change of headlights - then the current value shouldn't be any different.

Earlier in its life relative values may have been an issue but not now.

Many thanks, kind of thing I was hoping to hear.

It's a 1999 996 C2 so it's value is likely more condition and history in my mind, or at least it is with bikes! Low miles, loads of stamps in the book and recent lots spent so think I did OK ish with what I paid, even tho I wouldn't have paid what I did if I had known. Same price others were 80k plus miles, excepting the odd cheap car that slips thru.

Cheers

A german spec LHD is likely worth tangibly more than a UK car if you fancy listing it on somewhere like mobile.de. Continental prices for Pork (new and used) are strong compared to here due to demand and exchange rates. Or did you mean that it is a UK spec that was originally sourced for delivery in Germany (in which case it isn't going to really make any difference)?

If I have got this right, if it is a C16 car it will already have the correct headlights.

If it isn't a C16 car, it may need to have the headlights changed. This is a bit of an MOT nightmare. The first UK tester can pass the car with the 'wrong' headlights set in the 'T' position. The VOSA Construction and Use Regulations determine that the headlights must be changed within 12 months of the first test.

Hope you already have the correct headlights.

CheeRS, Keith.

It was imported 2002 looking at the service stamps and lots of mot since so that not a worry. RHD or I may have noticed before buying lol

It's the log book and service/warranty book that gives its heritage away

I thought all porsches are German imports.... well except obviously odd ones made in Slovakia or Finland :floor:

Hi Something I can comment on this one! As an ex army officer and someone that has bought a number of cars whilst serving in Germany I can say that it has no effect on the car from a retail point of view. My car was UK registered, but tax free. In the early 1990s you could buy a car, keep it for 6 months then sell it on. Lots of people made a great deal of money buying certain makes Mercedes, Alfas, BMWs etc as you got a NATO discount that made them very cheap to buy. If you kept for 6 months you could bring back to the UK and sell and not pay tax. Over a few years to the end of the 1990s the rules changed and you could not buy a car more than 1 every 18 months (Could sell after 6 months but not buy another for 18 months) This pretty much stopped a lot of people buying and selling (Although some bought with a 40% discount and sold and paid tax straight away and still made money. I was not one of these people but I did sell my cars in the UK when they had completed the time over seas. The cars were all UK spec and came with UK reg plates and V5 so no issues at all.

I would add that a dealer would always know you got them tax free so they did not like paying you the same trade in but that was just them trying to get it for cheaper. I would have no problem in buying a soldiers car bought in Germany if it was a car I was after.

regards Glenn

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back