Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A refit to my 996 C4 - coilovers, big brakes, aero, paint

So to the coilovers.
The BC front coilovers use the Porsche upper mount as standard, decided, as per earlier in this thread, not to use them and run with rose jointed top mount. Better location and more reliable. I did have to re-jig the top mount on the wing as the mounts were BMW. so a bit of welding, drilling, and make good painting. All done.

Attachments

• 3_624.jpg
    3_624.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5,272
  • 4_733.jpg
    4_733.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5,272
Lastly fitted the shock with new springs (2.25") , upper platform and top mount.
rough calculation shows approx. 50mm drop in ride height.

Attachments

• 6_415.jpg
    6_415.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5,269
Next up is to fit the larger brakes that I picked up off this site from another enthusiast.
Having to get some custom mount brackets machined to fit the callipers to the hubs as originally these were for a C4S/Turbo, so centres and offset is slightly different

Attachments

• 7_203.jpg
    7_203.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5,264
Great little project.

Any more pics of the wheels? I was considering these at one point.

Got the brackets back from the machine ship. Nice work of art , cnc'd from the dimensioned drawing I gave them. dummy fitted the bracked (prior to painting)

Attachments

• bracket_202.jpg
    bracket_202.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,922
An then the moment of truth, had I got the final dimensions correct for the caliper placement onto the disc. it was tight when I held them up. I calculated approx. 1.5mm either way, so not a great deal of room for error.
I was in luck ! it all fitted up great.
Also, purchased a set of road pads for the calipers (rather than the track pads)

just need to take it apart again now, paint and then refit with some thread lock and copperslip in the right places

I don't think i'll ever need this much power in the brake but they do look good

356mm discs - 8 pot calipers originally for a turbo, but now on a C4

Attachments

• brake_130.jpg
    brake_130.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,920
Great work and much the same as what I'm doing to fit cayenne turbo Calipers to my C4S.

Would you be able to tell us who machined your brackets and do you know the spec of the ali material used for them?

I'm sure you will be stopping just thinking about it now with 8pots

:thumb:

New tech tools in Swanley cnc 'd the brackets, not sure what steel they used.
Just waiting for a new set of bolts to fit them.

Ordering the brake lines today.

This refresh is starting to add up!

Your doing a fantastic job :thumb:

As for the rusty siezed bits I know your pain.. mines been the same lately... as you said it really is like they don't want any new parts sometimes.

Keep up the good work :worship:

It's easy to forget these cars are getting old, 17 for mine.
But the original complexity is still there, unlike old fords!

Onto the last corner soon and then hopefully a shakedown test

Yes, Veloce wheels. bought them a few years ago now when I got the car.
Excellent quality and a really nice looking wheel on the car.

Good service from Mr Veloce too ! Very helpful

Here's a side shot of those wheels

Attachments

• img_0133_554.jpg
    img_0133_554.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5,685
Is that std suspension or M030? Prefer the RS style to the other option. Just wanted to check the dish doesn't have issue with lacquer peel. Any spacers in the photo?
Will be good to see what its like at new ride height overall as I really do think 30mm over standard make such a difference.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back