Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coilover Rebuild

Armagreggon85

Silverstone
I've managed to get a very good deal on a set of used H&R coilovers.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that can rebuild these? They are a few years old so I'd like to get them checked over before they are fitted.

I'm based in the midlands but would be willing to travel a reasonable distance if needs be.

Does anyone have any experience of H&R coilovers on their car? I think they are the street performance ones

I had H&R coilovers on my B5 RS4 and they were good but quite firm, were pretty low though!

Armagreggon85 said:
I've managed to get a very good deal on a set of used H&R coilovers.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that can rebuild these? They are a few years old so I'd like to get them checked over before they are fitted.

I'm based in the midlands but would be willing to travel a reasonable distance if needs be.

Does anyone have any experience of H&R coilovers on their car? I think they are the street performance ones

Hi. Where did you get them from? What deal did you get? (Not trying to poach, just for reference!)

crash7 said:
JRZ recommended this chap to me, not used him, but have had a conversation and when mine need doing they will be going to him.

http://www.igracing.co.uk/index.html

I'd seconded that Ian is rebuilding my coilovers at the moment, he was recommended to me by CofG aswell.

Cheers guys, sounds like Ian may be the chap to help. I've spoken to Lynn in the office and awaiting a call back from Ian. Funnily enough he's just down the road from where I live!

I was hoping to get them a little cheaper but there was a bit more interest at the last minute than I anticipated. Picked them up on Ebay for about £200. I haven't collected them yet so fingers crossed they aren't in too bad a state.

What is the consensus on top mounts? I like the idea of going down the spherical bearing route but for a set of 4 from the likes of Rennline or Tarett are circa £650 which is a bit rich for my blood. Are they worth it?

The car is mainly used on road but I've been going to more track days recently so they long term goal is to make it more track focused.

I've found a company called Compbrake which do a set of spherical bearing top mounts for about £400 but I've read reviews online from people saying they don't last very long at all.

http://www.compbrake.com/product/po...ttribute_pa_top-mount-sleeve-nut-washer=m10_1

The alternative is to replace with OE style ones, I can get a set of 4 from Euro Car Parts for about £280 all in. I've also got to decide whether it's worth while fitting uprated TCA and ARB bushes while I'm at it. It's a slippery slope

Sounds like a bargain.

If you don't get anyway with your first rebuild place I'd email H&R and ask who their UK agent is.

Regarding the top mounts the main benefit in going to aftermarket or GT3RS items is so you can dial your camber in and out accurately and relatively easily.

You'll get a little bit of movement on standard ones but sometimes that will barely get you into negative, although usually should get you to -0.5 deg, maybe -1 deg.

You can do it the other way and buy adjustable bottom arms from the likes of Elephant Racing etc. They cost more than top mounts though at about £700.

I fitted adjustable camber bushes to my standard arms (from powerflex).
Got them off a mate who had a load of bother trying to set them, so he bought the Elephant arms which are great items.

In the end we set the bushes to max camber then used the top mounts to take some back off. My fronts are currently-2 degrees though. As much as you'd want for the road.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back