Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo : Slight oil dampness at chain end of bank 2 area

Hi Adam. I would hazard a guess that it may be coming from the union nut that you can see in the photo, but being blown all around the area by under-car air flow.

If the whole of the scavenge pump is wet then it could be the o rings behind it leaking. However, the nut looks very clean, as if that may be the source of the leak.

Either way, good luck.

DynoMike said:
Hi Adam. I would hazard a guess that it may be coming from the union nut that you can see in the photo, but being blown all around the area by under-car air flow.

If the whole of the scavenge pump is wet then it could be the o rings behind it leaking. However, the nut looks very clean, as if that may be the source of the leak.

Either way, good luck.

Thanks Mike, I will keep you all posted on outcome, going in 8th Jan :thumb:

Good luck! I had a small oil leak when I first got the car and figured I should get it sorted and be happy with it, otherwise it'd always bug me (and that's not what owning a Porsche is about)

Jay. said:
Good luck! I had a small oil leak when I first got the car and figured I should get it sorted and be happy with it, otherwise it'd always bug me (and that's not what owning a Porsche is about)

Thanks Jay, couldn't agree more, it will bug me too and will be sorted so I can fully enjoy the 6T in 2018. Just hope it's not too much of a big fix :eek: :lol:

Dropped at Precision yesterday so we'll see :lol:

Mine recently needed a chain tensioner oil seal replacing due to a slight leak, nothing on the floor, but a small leak all the same. Not a big job.

Shurv said:
Mine recently needed a chain tensioner oil seal replacing due to a slight leak, nothing on the floor, but a small leak all the same. Not a big job.

Thanks Shurv
Suspected oil leak is from chain tensioner seal but there's also a 'louder than normal" chain rattle from bank 2. Same bank as oil leak. Trouble is need engine out to investigate 'rattle" from chain and I want that looked at so it doesn't get any worse or cause future damage. Doh.. :eek:

Adam, surely it makes more sense to change the tensioner first and re-evaluate the 'abnormal rattle', before taking the motor out?
:dont know:

That would seem more logical to me, unless they suspect the chain guides and chain. Either way, good luck, hope you get it solved quickly and cheaply. :thumbs:

The washers under the bolts on the timing chain covers have a habit of leaking. When I bought my previous car from an indie who will remain nameless, they'd cleaned it up, so you wouldn't know there was a leak, but I ended up getting Sports & Classic to drop the engine and sort it properly. This is a known issue on 996 turbo cars.

Rattle/noise from the timing chain is a bit more of a concern - less common or cheap to resolve, but I assume can be attended to at the same time.

DynoMike said:
Adam, surely it makes more sense to change the tensioner first and re-evaluate the 'abnormal rattle', before taking the motor out?
:dont know:

That would seem more logical to me, unless they suspect the chain guides and chain. Either way, good luck, hope you get it solved quickly and cheaply. :thumbs:

Diggermeister said:
The washers under the bolts on the timing chain covers have a habit of leaking. When I bought my previous car from an indie who will remain nameless, they'd cleaned it up, so you wouldn't know there was a leak, but I ended up getting Sports & Classic to drop the engine and sort it properly. This is a known issue on 996 turbo cars.

Rattle/noise from the timing chain is a bit more of a concern - less common or cheap to resolve, but I assume can be attended to at the same time.

Thanks both for yr contributions :thumb:
Just to update the thread

Precision have said they believe they've traced the oil leak to a union nut that needed tightening / adjustment. They have cleaned the area and suggested that I bring the car back in a month so they can re-asses to make sure no oil continues to leak.

This is not only to assess the oil leak but also the excess chain noise.
The theory is, if the leak is fixed but the noise remains they will consider doing a chain tensioner change to see if that quietens the noise.
If the leak isn't fixed they say they'll have to drop the engine to further asses where the oil is coming from and if this is the case, it makes sense to look at chain rattle whilst engine is out for yet oil leak.

I think they've been pragmatic about it and tried to avoid just dropping the engine (with the assosiated costs involed) until absolutely necessary.

Will keep you all posted as to what the outcome is but as always thanks for all the input and comments :worship:

Makes sense, I have a weep in exactly the same spot as you which I only spotted last week :oops:

Will keep an eye on the thread for resolution.

adamw said:
Trouble is need engine out to investigate 'rattle" from chain

Just wanted to update this thread and close.

Re the 'rattle" noise I decided to get a 2nd opinion as Precision couldn't be sure as to the cause.

I chose to take the car to 9e which is only down the road to me. Have to say very impressed and pleased with service.

They recognised there was noise, but also said they'd heard allot worse and this unit can be notoriously noisy.

They ran my car next to a car of similar age and mileage that was in for routine maintenance and said the other car was allot louder than mine and it didn't cause them any concerns.

The advice was to drive and enjoy and potentially in a couple of thousand miles It can be re assessed, but they didn't see any concerns at all with my car.

They did say some of the noise could be a sticky lifter on bank 2 but this wasn't ultra important to sort as of now.

Re the oil leak, this was traced to the union nut attaching the scavenge pump. 9e removed the pump and replaced the faulty washer. The oil leaks now fixed.

Happy chappy :D

Thanks 9e team :thumb:

Reassuring result from a reputable source. :thumbs:

plynchy said:
Reassuring result from a reputable source. :thumbs:

Cheers Plynchy :thumb:

Love the mechanical madness that goes on behind me when I fire the car up, it's so bloody loud in the garage.

Not quite as bad as the GT3's but not far off. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back