Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Creaks and Squeaks - do I need to move on?

I'm so glad that a) I'm not the only one that thinks these things rattle and squeak more than they should and b) is driven mad by it all!!

I can honestly say that it's the only thing that annoys me about my car. I've fixed some, others I can't seem to work out and I can't really bring into someone every week when I hear a new rattle.

For those who say deal with it or ignore it - happy that's the solution for you. For others like me, once you hear that sound it does nothing but drive you nuts!

Probably doesn't help that one of my previous cars was a Lexus which was brilliantly built.

I've given in to the torture and booked mine in to have the rear pass. constant squeak and drivers bolster creak investigated and fixed. Just too annoying to enjoy the car!

Got to tell you, spent a whole afternoon looking for a persistent rattle in my 997. Drove me mad. Found it in the end, my missus had put her loose change in the centre console :? :floor:

Buy an S2 Lotuse exige. I did 50k miles in one and now don't notice rattles until something falls off the car. Porsches are silent by comparison, but that is probably because I am now deaf.

Well, Porsche diagnosed a loose 'top end' suspension strut with the noise coming from the rear passenger side. 4 days to dismantle and fix with geometry setup again. The fixed the drivers seat bolster squeak too and now my car is as solid as it was on day one! 10k and counting! :thumbs:

Result! :thumb:

991 GT3 CS
31K miles
not a single creak, groan or rattle anywhere !
I am pleasantly surprised!!!

I have what I thought was a rattling Bose door speaker but the OPC tells me that it is the window switch unit rattling in its location on the door. Is this common / heard of before anyone? I would like to know how to cure it as it is not only annoying but also not covered by the OPC extended warranty.

thedarkknight said:
Well, Porsche diagnosed a loose 'top end' suspension strut with the noise coming from the rear passenger side. 4 days to dismantle and fix with geometry setup again. The fixed the drivers seat bolster squeak too and now my car is as solid as it was on day one! 10k and counting! :thumbs:

Out of interest, how did they fix the bolster squeak?

They didn't say and I forgot to ask as I was distracted by the fact that the rear suspension assembly had to come apart!

blackram said:
I have what I thought was a rattling Bose door speaker but the OPC tells me that it is the window switch unit rattling in its location on the door. Is this common / heard of before anyone? I would like to know how to cure it as it is not only annoying but also not covered by the OPC extended warranty.

Had exactly the same problem with mine, but the dealer fixed it FOC. :)

However, I do have a "creak" when moving off / slowing up for low speed traffic. Sounds like it's coming from behind the passenger seat and while I thought it might be a panel fixing initially, I'm now wondering about engine mounts / suspension bushes ........

I have a noise from the backrest on the driver's seat. Its the central part, rather than side bolster, so any fix suggestions would be appreciated.

Stones gathering under the car produce noises in the cabin, so keep you undercarriage clean!

Hi

I say this as an owner of a non squeaking 993.

What MCN911 said about acceptance is true. Its only a problem if you say it is. An alternative way forwards is to embrace the issue and enjoy sorting it out.

I take more that view with my 993. The mechanical work I do on the car I enjoy. Even when it is tough. Like gardening, or anything else it can all be very Zen like.

Its not just empty words its true. The answer is not to reject the car. Instead embrace it and let it teach you to be a better person.

Berni

gonesailing said:
I have a noise from the backrest on the driver's seat. Its the central part, rather than side bolster, so any fix suggestions would be appreciated.

Stones gathering under the car produce noises in the cabin, so keep you undercarriage clean!

Right - I gather the only way is to remove the seat "skin" and check the springs and the foam. Out of interest is yours a heated seat? I've heard this can be the "elements" pad rubbing against the foam one side and the leather on the other.

Weirdly I have no seat squeaks or rattles. Nor the sunroof rattles that plague so many and the door squeaks were easily fixed by the dealer. So easily in fact that I think they've known what it was and had a fix for years. They just don't want to fix them at their expense unless pushed. :roll:

Must check for stones ..... :?:

Mad Mark911 said:
gonesailing said:

Right - I gather the only way is to remove the seat "skin" and check the springs and the foam. Out of interest is yours a heated seat? I've heard this can be the "elements" pad rubbing against the foam one side and the leather on the other.

Weirdly I have no seat squeaks or rattles. Nor the sunroof rattles that plague so many and the door squeaks were easily fixed by the dealer. So easily in fact that I think they've known what it was and had a fix for years. They just don't want to fix them at their expense unless pushed. :roll:

Must check for stones ..... :?:

Yes, I have heated sports seats, not adaptive. It's a spring sound when you push back into the seat, so something is lose or rubbing!

I don't have a sunroof, didn't want one, but the sound of the exhaust is the best noise in my car!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back