Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MOT failed.....

paul987

For the second time is her 17 years...my C4s failed her MOT today

Even after replacing all coffin arms... Drop links...replacing all the disc's and pads and braided hoses...even buying a brand new rear brake caliper...
It failed on 4 things
Reason(s) for failure

Front Headlamp levelling device inoperative Arm insecure to suspension arm. (1.7.2)

Above was my fault :oops:

Headlamp cleaning device inoperative (1.7.2)

Above was caused by Ice they worked fine when I tried them after the test....

Nearside Front Anti-roll bar rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

Above was caused by me being a northerner and tight

Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively damaged (3.6.B.2c)

Above I think was caused when it slipped off the jack stands when I was lowering the the jack after doing the coffin arms
Brakes still worked orate to me :oops:
:sad: :sad:

So does anyone know if you can cut the damaged section of brake pipe out and just replace this section?? Or will I need to buy the whole thing??

Plus any ideas on labour charges on these things? I'm done with Diy for now.. well till summer at least :oops:

paul987 said:
Nearside Front Anti-roll bar rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

:redcard:

A true Northerner would've wrapped insulation tape round the anti-roll bar under where the bush sits to take up any play and prevent them from having to spend money on new bushes!

alex yates said:
paul987 said:

:redcard:

A true Northerner would've wrapped insulation tape round the anti-roll bar under where the bush sits to take up any play and prevent them from having to spend money on new bushes!

:floor: :hand: sadly I'm even too tight to buy tape :lol:

N/s/r pipe goes to the connection block under the " L " shaped panel .. its the O/s/r pipe thats over the gearbox so the n/s/r is easy to replace as is.

1-2 hours with 1 being closer

Headlamp washers .. yup fail if inop but a bit hard to fail when frozen .. free retest there i would argue .. or never do an mot in winter !

Free

Headlamp lvl .. thats the plastic bracket ill bet thats broken .. easy fix .. and also easy to break .. i have before .

0.5 front .. i think rear is harder .. cant remember atm so say 1

roll bar bush is not easy to see .. must have been pretty bad for them to fail it .. and also pretty dam loud when driving the car .. they knock like mad when worn .

1 hour depending on fixings .

Its cold out there aint it , actually its cold in the garage so i can totally understand why you dont want to do anymore .. plus it gives poor souls like me something to do in the cold hard monthes of the year .. we have to earn a crust you know .

Demort said:
N/s/r pipe goes to the connection block under the " L " shaped panel .. its the O/s/r pipe thats over the gearbox so the n/s/r is easy to replace as is.

1-2 hours with 1 being closer

Headlamp washers .. yup fail if inop but a bit hard to fail when frozen .. free retest there i would argue .. or never do an mot in winter !

Free
Yes I thought that was a little harsh and kind of obvious given how cold it was

Headlamp lvl .. thats the plastic bracket ill bet thats broken .. easy fix .. and also easy to break .. i have before .

0.5 front .. i think rear is harder .. cant remember atm so say 1

roll bar bush is not easy to see .. must have been pretty bad for them to fail it .. and also pretty dam loud when driving the car .. they knock like mad when worn .

1 hour depending on fixings .
This is another strange one... no knocks and they looked fine when I did the drop links... hence I didn't replace them whilst I was down there

Its cold out there aint it , actually its cold in the garage so i can totally understand why you dont want to do anymore .. plus it gives poor souls like me something to do in the cold hard monthes of the year .. we have to earn a crust you know .

Demort.. Thanks for the detailed reply... much appreciated :thumb:
And yes It is cold very cold...
It's a shame your not a bit closer.... or I had a current Mot...because I wouldn't hesitate to give you my business :thumbs:

Now you mention it, I realised that my headlamp washers have stopped working. Hadn't realised it was an MOT failure. Sorry for the thread hijack, but any idea where to start looking?

Probably frozen.

galahad said:
Now you mention it, I realised that my headlamp washers have stopped working. Hadn't realised it was an MOT failure. Sorry for the thread hijack, but any idea where to start looking?

More of a PITA than there worth IMO, I have them but as I don't have xenons I was just going to remove them.

Do you have liltronics as there different front preFL lights? As said probably just frozen buy could be washer or pipe etc Which side doesn't work?

coullstar said:
galahad said:

More of a PITA than there worth IMO, I have them but as I don't have xenons I was just going to remove them.

Do you have liltronics as there different front preFL lights? As said probably just frozen buy could be washer or pipe etc Which side doesn't work?

It's a 2003 car with Litronics and I'm pretty sure it's both sides that have stopped working. MOT not due for another 6 months so no rush. It's not cold enough for them to be frozen at present I don't think.

Under what circumstances do the washers wash? I mean do they wash every time you wash the windscreen, only when the lights are on, every third windscreen wash etc?

I'm pretty sure mine don't wash each and every time I wash the screen.

MOT due March...

Griffter said:
Under what circumstances do the washers wash? I mean do they wash every time you wash the windscreen, only when the lights are on, every third windscreen wash etc?

MOT due March...

You push the washer stalk forward to operate them.

Griffter said:

MOT due March...

Headlamps on.... push the wiper stork away from you....
:thumb:
Some Mot test stations may require prompting to get a accurate result.. :hand:

If it's the same as a 997 then the connector is on the N/S. Remove the inner arch protector and there's a plastic pipe with a plastic clip that holds the washer pipe together, pull the plastic clip off and that releases the pipe (warm it first if it's freezing cold, hairdrier will do it) pull the pipe apart and see if it's pumping fluid through. If it is then your nozzles might be blocked with crud, best use an airline to blow from the nozzle backwards to the connector see if that purges it.
If that doesn't work you'll need to remove the bumper shroud and then you have access to the whole gubbins.

paul987 said:
Griffter said:

MOT due March...

... push the wiper stork away from you....

Be careful, someone might call the RSPB!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back