Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

If you had £75k to spend on a Porsche....

Disco said:
KP964 said:
Dont dismiss the 964 without a decent drive in one

... and with air cooled you absolutely must try one before even putting it on the list - especially with right hand drive. The RHD ergonomics are somewhat marmite on all air cooled 911s due to the significant pedal offset and while many have no issue at all with that, to others they can be extremely uncomfortable over long distances. LHD - nothing like as much of a problem.

I know and have spoken to a lot of people who drive aircooled 911s and although there is a offset in the pedals ive never actually met anyone who is bothered by it (not to say there isnt ) , if you have back trouble "you have back trouble ! " .... ive never had a problem with it and dont notice it at all and i do 2000 miles a month in my 964 i can jump straight back in after long journeys .

madalaa said:
....... Cayman GTS ...... and you will get some change ........ :)

:hand: You wearing those Jonttt glasses again :dont know:

Try before you buy as they are all different. If I get pleasure from driving/owning a car, depreciation for me is near the bottom of the list.

GT4 will taper - but not by much and dependent on the 718 GT4 and what engine is in it. Could you get your name down for a 718 Spyder? I suspect there is a waiting list already but bulletproof residuals for 2yrs+

Air cooled looks cool before you drive it and the when you do reminds you of what people drove in 1970 in terms of ergonomic and creature comforts. But I kind of like that. Despite what some will tell you about values, and I'm seen as the Prophet of Doom :roll: they are an unknown. They are toppy so profit now will not be as great going forward where some have doubled/tripled the value of their cars in the last 3yrs 8) . That said what some people think they are worth is not what is realised compared to good dealer prices and those that sniff halucinogenic substances before they get the price gun out.

You're probably buying from a dealer and they will price 993 very top end with a big spread in what they bought it in at which is the relevant price value going forward as i see it.

Personally I wouldn't do all my £75k dough on Air Cooled but would consider buying one cheaper and enjoy it more rather than shaking like a shitting dog every time you drive it for fear of it raining or getting knocked :what: knowing that you've not tied up all your reserve folding into it.

All that said I'd buy a GT4 or 981/718 Spyder - but only because I've had air-cooled and scratched that itch for a weekend car. That said my next Porsche will be a daily driver so does't need to be that exotic as there will also be a Triumph Bobber in the garage :grin:

Just my two-penneth worth chum :thumb:

At that price point hard to beat a GT4 for fun and ease of use. Residuals will remain decent being a GT car.

Otherwise maybe a 7 GT3 etc but not as user friendly for road use (heavyish clutch and you really need to rev it out unlike the GT4)

MJA911 said:
I'm a testament to the RHD air-cooled ergonomic consideration. Loved the 993 I had, but my lower back and right knee really didn't. I'm not awkwardly sized or shaped, its just one of those things for some that you would be well advised to be as sure about as you can.

As am I (hence why I made the point in the thread). For me in a RHD 964 (C2 Targa in this specific case) I always found the first 15 minutes delightful, however by about 20 minutes I used to get escalating pain in my right knee and not long after than my right foot used to cramp up.

The other noteworthy point is that in LHD cars not only do you not have the offset issue due to the wheel well, but also the whole pedal box area is about 4" deeper so they are appreciably better for anyone of a taller persuasion too.

As I said in my earlier post though - for many (probably most) it is a total non-issue, but trying them is essential before making a decision to go air-cooled RHD.

KP964 said:
I know and have spoken to a lot of people who drive aircooled 911s and although there is a offset in the pedals ive never actually met anyone who is bothered by it (not to say there isnt )

Kind of self fulfilling there - as a point of definition the people who own them long term are not going to be the ones who have an ergonomic issue that they can't live with are they? :paperbag:

I reckon a 981 Spyder could probably be bought for £75k.

That would be top of my list for that budget.

I'd bet that almost every one out there will be low mileage, never have been used in the rain or winter and have been garaged from new, so should look pin-sharp show-room fresh too.

hmmm - now I'm getting the itch again.

Disco said:
GT4 isn't really safe from depreciation - they made a lot of them and there are always plenty on the market in whatever spec you might want. Air cooled or GT3 make much more sense to my mind if residuals are a key focus. 997s (particularly GTSs with the right spec and Turbos) are almost certainly a better long term play than the GT4 at its current level too I reckon. :dont know:

This^^^^

GT4 are only going down for the next few years.
I'm a massive fan having spent a bit of time in them but aircooled is a safer bet or Mk1 GT3.

GT4 doesn't have a Motorsport engine like the GT3s, so not as "special" for me. I do really like them though and they are all you'd ever want from a road car. A safer buy too as far as any dodgy history or bad repairs go as they're almost new. A 20 or 30 year old 911 will probably throw up more bills.

I'd be looking at a MK1 GT3 CS, 964 or impact bumper car. But that's just me.

For me it would be a 996.1 GT3, or a 964 C2 :grin:

The GT3 because it`s a GT3 and looks, and is the business, the 964 because it just looks so damn beautifully Porsche :thumb:

Easy choice add 4 k and buy the hexagon 997.2 turbo. Safe as houses and goes like stink ( rather than an air cooled which just well stinks ) :dont know:

For me personally no 996T or 997T would hold my interest as a sunny day, special occasion car. Once the novelty sledgehammer effect of the boost wears off they aren't the most tactile 911s.

As a daily I'd love one but values aside I wouldn't even swap my lowly C2 for a Turbo. But there's a bum for every seat.

Either way, choosing a £75k car is a nicer problem to have. :thumb:

Disco said:
KP964 said:
I know and have spoken to a lot of people who drive aircooled 911s and although there is a offset in the pedals ive never actually met anyone who is bothered by it (not to say there isnt )

Kind of self fulfilling there - as a point of definition the people who own them long term are not going to be the ones who have an ergonomic issue that they can't live with are they? :paperbag:

I sold my RHD 964 Celebration for a couple of reasons and one of them was because of the pedal offset. I replaced it with a LHD 964 and would never buy a RHD air-cooled car again. As stated, the first 20-30mins of a journey was ok but then the discomfort would set in.

To answer the OP's question - for me it would be either a 996 or 997 GT3 - I wouldn't personally buy anything air-cooled for that money unless it was something special but the special stuff is way over budget. That said, if something like this would come down a touch more, it could be tempting:

http://www.car-iconics.com/our-cars/porsche-alzen-964-turbo-cup/

apollokre1d said:

Good point ... that's a beauty too ....

I just had a look at the 997 Turbo S prices on his cars ..
. Jeez ... where are the prices going ..?!!!!!!!

I'm going to get my car out and give her a bit of spit and polish ....!!
Would almost put a lad of driving his car !

What do you want it for?

What driving are you going to do?

I intend finding a couple of weeks this year to go 5000 miles around Europe and I will be going in my 964.

Plus a track day or two.

Such a raw analogue experience.

I enjoyed doing it in my 996 too, though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back