Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Carbon interior - real versus dipped?

galahad

Silverstone
Morning all,
I love my black/black C4S, but I fancy livening the interior up a little. I have seen a few cars fitted with carbon centre consoles and dash trims, which I think looks great, BUT, buying it now seems to be VERY costly and simply not worth it. Whilst proper carbon is clearly the ideal solution, I have seen some great looking photos of the carbon dip that Wicked Coatings offer. Quite a few 997 guys have had various parts done which look good, but has anyone had their 996 dash and console done and can share some photos?

I was thinking of doing the centre console, radio surround/horseshoe, side vent surrounds and instrument surround, and maybe also the plastic under-frunk trims as I'm a tart and the 997 ones I saw looked fantastic!

I have bought the car to drive and enjoy, but given the way C4S prices are creeping up, does anyone think that having non genuine carbon trim could harm the value?

shout.gif

...PHIL!!!!!!!!!!

:thumb:

Morning :grin: Sounds like you have some good ideas to lift the interior.
If your worried about taking the car away from a stock look re future value I would suggest you pick up off ebay etc the trim you want to change get that done and fitted and keep your original trim safe for future refit if needed.

Wicked Coatings can either carbon dip or paint in body colour or a contrast colour your interior trim.
the frunk trim does look good carbon dipped as I am also a tart lol make sure you send them pics of it insitu if your not visiting them so they can see how it sits and ensure each section has the weave pattern facing the right way.

the other thing to lift your interior would be coloured seatbelts these can be done for about £35 per belt. see recent thread in the 997 section.

unless your retro fitting OE carbon very expensive, then the dip is as good an option as buying aftermarket carbon bits and cheaper.

I am guessing you have already seen the pics of my aqua console and the acid green one on my gen1 if not let me know I will post pics. the carbon dipped frunk trim was also off my gen1.
Black on Black cars are a great blank canvas to personalise maybe silver seatbelts and GT silver console and top trim , instrument surround bit like the pics below, that would also look nice with the silver dial surround rings you can get for the 996.

Attachments

• dsc025461373819244_496.jpg
    dsc025461373819244_496.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 6,037
  • dsc025251373819224_210.jpg
    dsc025251373819224_210.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 6,037
I would avoid wood :floor: :floor: though :eek: :eek: :grin: but this pic does give you a good idea of the trim bits that can be done , I did like the door speaker surround and small trim line above the glove box, and the instrament surround , i did my instrament surround silver on the gen1 and aqua on the gen2 :thumb:

Attachments

• interiortest1373685991_991.jpg
    interiortest1373685991_991.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 6,036
HSC911 said:
Phil 997 said:
I would avoid wood

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

vomit.gif
vomit.gif
vomit.gif

:floor: :floor: looks good on a 60s speedboat on the italian lakes, does not have the same effect in a modern sports car :nooo: :nooo:

Thanks for the replies. Phil - have you got any more photos of the carbon frunk covers?

I already have red seatbelts which I like, and have had the wheel retrimmed in alcantara with a red top band.

I think a centre console delete and some carbon bits would finish it off nicely.

Does anyone know if the side vent pods come apart so could be dipped, or are they all in one units with the slats etc all built in?

4253_large.jpg

galahad said:
Thanks for the replies. Phil - have you got any more photos of the carbon frunk covers?

I already have red seatbelts which I like, and have had the wheel retrimmed in alcantara with a red top band.

I think a centre console delete and some carbon bits would finish it off nicely.

Does anyone know if the side vent pods come apart so could be dipped, or are they all in one units with the slats etc all built in?

4253_large.jpg

on the 997 the slats come apart not sure on the 996 mate

heres some pics of the frunk trim inc scuttle dipped ,oh and one of the airbox also dipped
as a comparison the very last pic shows the carbon dipped frunk trim next to actual carbon headlight surrounds :thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• 7car_795.jpg
    7car_795.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 5,965
  • 8car_155.jpg
    8car_155.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 5,965
  • 10car_141.jpg
    10car_141.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 5,965
  • 9car_160.jpg
    9car_160.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 5,965
  • 13car_987.jpg
    13car_987.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 5,965
  • 14car_483.jpg
    14car_483.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 5,965
  • 15car_184.jpg
    15car_184.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 5,965
Phil 997 said:
heres some pics of the frunk trim inc scuttle dipped ,oh and one of the airbox also dipped
as a comparison the very last pic shows the carbon dipped frunk trim next to actual carbon headlight surrounds :thumb: :thumb:

who dipped that for you ???

Black C4S here with grey interior and I think the carbon dipped items liven up the cabin and give a nice contrast. I bought these already dipped so have retained the original bits in case it ever needs to go back to stock.

only issue with dipping these items was that in certain lights you can see 'imperfections' in the surface where the underneath is not millpond smooth but I'm fine with it and the old console was quite scratched up. have has some nice feedback from people (incl Porsche people) on how it looks.

I've got the air-vents, console surround, ignition surround and centre tunnel all dipped.

Attachments

• carbon_interior2_132.jpg
    carbon_interior2_132.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 5,917
  • carbon_interior1_183.jpg
    carbon_interior1_183.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 5,917
  • carbon_air_vent1_128.jpg
    carbon_air_vent1_128.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 5,917
Dipped mixed with real carbon works fine once in the interior unless you look real close. Dipped obviously does not have texture. The base colour or shade of grey makes a big difference. Best to go darker than lighter. And get sample made up if it's not wicked that you use.

It's not simple to match carbon between batches. So send everything you are likely to want done all in 1 batch ie roof trim around lights etc

Attachments

• fa1cc0d7_31ce_4f1d_93d3_f28dad3b17e1_165.jpeg
    fa1cc0d7_31ce_4f1d_93d3_f28dad3b17e1_165.jpeg
    625.2 KB · Views: 5,904
Anyone considered carbon-skinning instead of dipping?
A chap on my local forum is redoing his M3's interior trim with a real carbon fibre skin and it looks good to me and you get the texture.

tgdesign said:
Phil 997 said:

who dipped that for you ???

Wicked Coatings in Poole Dorset :thumb:

G2 said:
Dipped mixed with real carbon works fine once in the interior unless you look real close. Dipped obviously does not have texture. The base colour or shade of grey makes a big difference. Best to go darker than lighter. And get sample made up if it's not wicked that you use.

It's not simple to match carbon between batches. So send everything you are likely to want done all in 1 batch ie roof trim around lights etc

Good advice - thanks. Currently gathering up all the frunk trim parts as and when I think I'm getting a good deal so will wait until they're all purchased before going ahead.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back